Is this a "quack"?

Old 07-08-2018, 11:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is this a "quack"?

I'm new to this whole recognizing a "quack" deal, so help me if you can.
I'd appreciate your 2 cents, from both sides, family/friends of and also recovering A's.

I realize this is maybe too vague, but....
In your experience, if you are accused of having a "holier than thou attitude" from someone (husband in this case) who is almost 120 days sober and you KNOW without a shadow of a doubt that you are NOT acting as they so accuse...........what exactly is that?
I seriously and honestly have no idea why I was accused of this.
I know I am not acting holier than thou.
I know my refrigerator is not blue. (that's going to sound crazy to someone who hasn't hear that metaphor/story, sorry)
Old 07-08-2018, 11:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

the key here is......Accused Of <fill in the blank>>

was this out of the blue, as in a spontaneous utterance, or in retort to something else said?
Old 07-08-2018, 11:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It was after a morning of weird bickering.....I'm not sure what else to call it. He seemed so easily offended this morning.
He went metal detecting on the beach last night, something he rarely gets to do. And I laughed a bit at how little was found (because usually the only things found are a bit of pocket change, soda can tops and the occasional toy). I didn't think what I said was rude, but he said it hurt his feelings and that it felt like I was saying that what he was doing was a waste of time. It wasn't my intention at all and I wasn't being mean.....
Then almost right after.....I made mention of someone's number I didn't have and that I wish I had their email address (my cell phone just broke and I don't have everyone's number's memorized). He asked who it was and that maybe he had their number and I said, oh, no it's a girl I met in Al-Anon so you wouldn't have it. I could almost physically see him wince when I mentioned the word Al-Anon! I said.....did it bother you that I mentioned it so casually? He said yes! He basically doesn't want to be reminded of his failings.....and then about an hour later came the accusation of being holier than thou.......this was during a conversation where I was trying to understand what I had said that caused him to feel so hurt.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds like a big old QUACK to me...

He is likely feeling "less than" and he is transferring the blame for that on to you.

My AXH could never own his negative feelings, they were always somebody else's fault. He would do or say something to hurt my feelings and if I called him out on it he would turn it around on me and get angry that I made him feel bad about hurting my feelings.... it was INSANITY
Old 07-08-2018, 12:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

to me.....a "Quack" sounds so ridiculously stupid and illogical, or unecessary for the situation that it makes you head spin...…(and it is often something that defends their drinking)…..

The example that you give, above, like some others have eluded to....sounds, to me, like it is probably a reflection of his own feelings of about himself...or, resentments toward you for coming between him and his desire to drink without interference.
Remembering, that anything or anyone who comes between the alcoholic and their drinking....is viewed as the "enemy"....even if they are a loved one.....
I, actually, sense that he is feeling that you may think you are "better than him"...because you aren't an alcoholic and you think he shouldn't drink. Like, maybe, he views it that you are pushing your values onto him.....

Did you read a few pages in the "Quackers" thread....?
Old 07-08-2018, 12:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi, Lakegirl.
Living with a drinker, even a non drinking one at this point in time, is no picnic.
Often, it’s enough for them, they feel, to have stopped drinking.
They may not want to own the wreckage caused prior to and just want to move on, start fresh.
Having had experience in Al-Anon, I can tell you that there can be animosity and suspicion about what actually happens in Al-Anon meetings, especially by the alcohol addicted SO or spouse.
In your situation, that your husband reacted to your mention of having met someone at Al-Anon indicates to me that he either doesn’t understand how the group works, or, again, doesn’t wish to take responsibilty for past hurts and actions.
Sounds like he is struggling with this, maybe, and you get to be the lucky recipient of his unease.
Don’t really have answers, just a few thoughts.
Good luck and good thoughts.
Old 07-08-2018, 01:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ohhhhhh

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
to me.....a "Quack" sounds so ridiculously stupid and illogical, or unecessary for the situation that it makes you head spin...…(and it is often something that defends their drinking)…..

The example that you give, above, like some others have eluded to....sounds, to me, like it is probably a reflection of his own feelings of about himself...or, resentments toward you for coming between him and his desire to drink without interference.
Remembering, that anything or anyone who comes between the alcoholic and their drinking....is viewed as the "enemy"....even if they are a loved one.....
I, actually, sense that he is feeling that you may think you are "better than him"...because you aren't an alcoholic and you think he shouldn't drink. Like, maybe, he views it that you are pushing your values onto him.....

Did you read a few pages in the "Quackers" thread....?
Ohhhhhh riiiiiight ok I see now. Thanks, Dandylion. I had a feeling I was confusing the quacking term with something else. Yes, I have read the Quackers thread! You'd think after reading that, that I would have a good handle on what a quack is! But alas....

Actually.....the accusation came right after he said something to the effect of, "Do you think I was drinking while out metal detecting last night? Because I wasn't. Didn't even occur to me." (I had not asked or investigated or anything....I've stopped playing detective.)
THEN came the holier than thou dart. So.....in that context....I guess I sort of did feel like it was out of nowhere and illogical. I hadn't even asked about drinking.....and he brought it up...and then still accused me of having the holier than thou attitude yet HE brought it up!
I was just rather confounded.
Old 07-08-2018, 03:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have been the recipient of a couple "holier than thou accusations" always in writing and always after I unemotionally stood my ground and kept my boundary. If I dont "play the victim" than I am holier than thou in his eyes. Only way out is to play the victim , a lose lose situation
Old 07-08-2018, 03:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life is good

He seemed so easily offended this morning.

Sounds like an alcoholic. Or a family member of an alcoholic. Or being human while going through mental & physical healing from a major illness or trauma.

A huge part of recovery (ours and others) is learning new communication skills. Some things don't need an answer. Some answers can be started out with, "Thank you. I appreciate that." Especially if I'm not wanting help! It can change dynamics quickly. If not in their mind, more importantly in my own openness to changing.

A dual winner one day listened to a frustration I had and shared with me the concept of saying "thank you."

Blew my mind.

I didn't want to say thank you. Yet I started doing this more often, especially when frustrated with others, and something big shifted inside me and around me.

Magic of life. God at work.
Old 07-08-2018, 04:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mango212 View Post
He seemed so easily offended this morning.

Sounds like an alcoholic. Or a family member of an alcoholic. Or being human while going through mental & physical healing from a major illness or trauma.

A huge part of recovery (ours and others) is learning new communication skills. Some things don't need an answer. Some answers can be started out with, "Thank you. I appreciate that." Especially if I'm not wanting help! It can change dynamics quickly. If not in their mind, more importantly in my own openness to changing.

A dual winner one day listened to a frustration I had and shared with me the concept of saying "thank you."

Blew my mind.

I didn't want to say thank you. Yet I started doing this more often, especially when frustrated with others, and something big shifted inside me and around me.

Magic of life. God at work.
That's great stuff, Mango! Thank you!
I think maybe I'm having trouble differentiating between alcoholic tendencies and just regular human traits. It's like the relationship itself is getting sober.......
Old 07-11-2018, 11:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Not quacking, just being sensitive. Super common in early recovery.

It took me a year to trust my brain and feelings after I quit drinking. And even now, my wife and. Sometimes get sucked into “weird bickering” (well put by the way), cause we’re both sensitive people.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I, too, get “you are so self-righteous” or “stop playing a victim and own your part”.

I don’t even listen or engage - at this point it all sounds like blah blah blah and I have a freedom of hanging up or walking away - he is an ex after all