Notices

Others rock bottom

Old 07-08-2018, 08:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Others rock bottom

So no matter how many rock bottoms I have I always go back to drinking and pot or pills I have lost countless friends and family to drugs and drinking but I always think that will never happen to me
Last night I lost my aunt in a car crash to a drunk driver she leaves behind two kids all because someone made a bad decision my aunt was an alcoholic and drug users herself and she was going through a hard time using before she died and that got me thinking if I die today I would have so many regrets last night I was drunk and high so I couldn’t even leave to be with the family losing her has made me realize things i already know when it comes to my addiction but now I truly understand it can be life or death when You least expect it learn from others before you hit your rock bottom never give up fighting
Old 07-08-2018, 08:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Welcome back, Nicole.
Glad to see you are posting again.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry about your aunt. I was very lucky and thankful that I only hurt myself when I wrecked driving drunk. Really made me take a hard look at how I was 'living'.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back Nicole and very sorry to hear about your aunt and her family. Deaths due to drunk driving are far to common and a 100% preventable tragedy unfortunately. I wish you and your family peace in dealing with your loss.

Regarding your question, I personally don't believe that there is a "rock bottom" when it comes to convincing people to quit drinking. Unless it's your own actual death, or perhaps life imprisonment, the consequences always wear off enough to make you think you can drink again if you listen to your addiction.

To me it's more of a personal responsibility issue - as in when do we decide enough is enough and put a stop to our drinking. We are the only ones that can make the decision to quit for good, and we can do it at any time. You could do it right now, this very second if you chose to. You could certainly use this very sad event in your life as a starting point, but even then it's really all dependent on whether or not you are ready to take on the personal responsibility and make things better for yourself.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My rock bottom was just waking up one morning and knowing I was done. I knew I couldn't go on drinking.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

now I truly understand it can be life or death

And this understanding is what it takes for some of us to get and stay sober. Some of us being me! There was another thread that was asking something along the lines of what made us finally get sober. I didn't post because bottom line is I was going to die or kill someone or both.

I'm soooo sorry for your loss. May this be the moment of change.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I’m sorry for your loss
Old 07-08-2018, 01:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Nicole, I'm very sorry for your loss.
Old 07-08-2018, 03:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry for your loss Nichole.

One thing I've learned being sober is every day is a gift.
Don't squander that gift

D
Old 07-08-2018, 05:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

So sorry for your loss.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Nichole,

I'm so sorry to hear about your aunt. Sending lots of love your way.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks y’all
I don’t know where to begin lost not clear headed maybe confused reality of losing someone to addiction I’m scared to die an addict but yet I don’t think I can give up drinking I still been drinking daily but I’ve cut it in half I haven’t passout and blackout in awhile so I feel I’m not an alcoholic anymore i convinced myself smoking pot isn’t bad if you use it to get off doctors medication idk maybe sobriety isn’t meet for me or I’m not ready nothing bad has happened to me idk just thoughts running through my head definitely lost definitely no clue what I’m doing or why I’m even here
Old 07-08-2018, 08:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm very sorry about the loss of your aunt, Nichole.

One thing I know for sure is that you need to be one hundred percent motivated to be able to stop drinking and recover.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

nothing bad has happened to me
yet...
Old 07-09-2018, 02:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by xxxNICHOLExxx View Post
Thanks y’all
I don’t know where to begin lost not clear headed maybe confused reality of losing someone to addiction I’m scared to die an addict but yet I don’t think I can give up drinking I still been drinking daily but I’ve cut it in half I haven’t passout and blackout in awhile so I feel I’m not an alcoholic anymore i convinced myself smoking pot isn’t bad if you use it to get off doctors medication idk maybe sobriety isn’t meet for me or I’m not ready nothing bad has happened to me idk just thoughts running through my head definitely lost definitely no clue what I’m doing or why I’m even here
Hey Nichole, I am sorry for your loss.

On reading the above I thought well, we are not out to convince you to do anything here. If you are happy with your life as it is, then rock on, no problem.

But if you feel you want something better and addiction is in the way, then there are a lot of people here who would be happy to help you with that.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:24 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Rar

Hi Nichole! Nice to see you. I'm sorry you lost your aunt. We're here for you. ((HUGS))
Old 07-09-2018, 04:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Originally Posted by least View Post
My rock bottom was just waking up one morning and knowing I was done. I knew I couldn't go on drinking.
Yep.... Same for me except my rock bottom was in the evening sitting in my swing. It hit me like a bolt of lighting, I'm finished with alcohol.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:24 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Sorry about your aunt.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:11 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

One of the things this site has taught me is the reality of the destruction of alcohol. I had never really given it much thought. But after coming here and reading 1000's of posts I realized that alcohol has and can do so much damage to our friends and family. It made me realize that death is a very real consequence of alcoholism and it is permanent. Sorry for your loss.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
yet...
Yes- what least said. That is what I kept telling myself for years. Until something bad happened a week ago. Guess what? Wish I would have stopped before that.