Notices

Trying

Old 07-07-2018, 07:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying

First post here...but I've followed for a good while
..been struggling for years...more than I'd like to face. I'd like to think I've cut down..perhaps I'm just getting sick of feeling so ill drinking myself sober to where I can feel my brain burn...I've got it to where a few a day is enough. I feel like I'm waking up..I want to quit forever...what I really want is to get help and attend a rehab. But of course I'm scared of going to my employer...I'm Union...the opportunity is there...but I'm afraid of the stigma..
Old 07-07-2018, 07:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Welcome Patterson,

There is not so much stigma these days towards people recovering from alcoholism. I got sober a long time ago and even then, everyone I went to see to straighten out the past was encouraging and generally pleased to see I had finally done something about my problem. In fact, in the following years several of my employers and former workmates also sought help, some as a direct result of seeing how well AA worked for me.

From your post it seems like you would benefit from a medical detox. This might take about a week, can involve hospitalisation, or may be done at home with support from your doctor. That does the job of getting the alcohol our of your system.

Rehab is a much bigger commitment. I tried it and drank again. I was expecting that the rehab would fix me. It educated me, fed me, improved my physical health, even introduced to the means for long term recovery, but it didn't "fix" me. I was expecting too much. It would have given me a great start if I had followed up with the suggested aftercare plan.

The next time, I went to AA, the last place I thought I would ever go. I did what they suggested and never drank again.

That may be a path forward for you, a short spell of detox followed by total immersion in AA, which is free and runs outside working hours. That may be easier to fit in to your work schedule than an extended spell in rehab.

I was also just thinking that in our capital city (Wellington) we have really well run meetings and service structure, largely due to the high concentration of government and union officials in the fellowship there. Those guys sure know how to run a meeting
Old 07-07-2018, 07:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hey Patterson,
there is always fear of one sort or another....fear of change, fear of what others may think, fear of consequences, fear of sobriety itself, fear to find out....long list.
if you have discovered you cannot do it by yourself, the option of a structured environment might be a great one for you, and the stigma of being a drunk might already exist for you at work.
in reality, there is no stigma attached to becoming healthy, sober and sane
the stigma attaches ( undeservedly and stupidly) to the condition before you recover from it.

way to go on showing up here.

you want to quit forever, you say. yes, i did, too.
I used peer support at first and got immersed in sobriety reading, and later used the suggested program of AA to change the things that needed changing to give me that long-term non-struggling sobriety.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for your reply..

I've done medical detox a few times...about 5 days each time. After that I tried to stop on my own and had a seizure on the fourth day...I didn't want to wait the 6 weeks to get in. That's why I'm still drinking a few a day. I know in my ideal world..in my mind..no one should be villified for seeking help..I'm probably playing out my own worst case scenario..on how people would treat me...although I suspect they already are well aware of my drinking problem..
Old 07-07-2018, 08:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Patterson
I think if you have the opportunity to do treatment you'd be mad not to at least look into it?

D
Old 07-08-2018, 03:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Patterson- in 2000 I had the opportunity to go to a very good long term rehab. I did not because of 'stigma'..my reputation. So I did not go- and continued to drink, more and more and more. My story is a dreadful one- where I slowly lost everything...starting with career- family- home- and finally, for a short time..my life. Play the tape forward, get help now you have an awareness...do not be a 'yet' drinker...who say I have not lost my career, family, home- 'yet'.
Support to you.