Notices

One week today

Old 07-05-2018, 10:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One week today

It's 6am UK and I'm 7 days sober today.
I was unsure whether to post as I had 2 weeks sober then relapsed for a couple of weeks and I didn't want any negativity.

I have lost count tbh with the number of relapses I've had trying to quit this poison. All I know is I am having short stretches sober and shorter relapse times inbetween

I want to be sober a lot more than I want to drink but sometimes this overwhelming urge takes over, like it's not me and I don't have any control over it. It's like a vile monster inside me.

I have tried to get straight back up fighting and have been reading here daily and keeping busy.
Anyway I intend to stay sober this weekend and have some plans in place. Hubby is being really supportive too so that's a massive help for me.

I've read posts on people struggling like me. Surely sobriety will stick for us if we keep fighting for it?
Old 07-05-2018, 10:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

https://www.alcoholics-anonymous.org.uk/

Old 07-05-2018, 10:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Pinky I'm so glad you're back sweetheart! I know how nervous you get about putting yourself out there here on SR so congratulate yourself on being brave.
I certainly identify with the on off relapse pattern Pinky and I'm sure many others here do. It can indeed be a phase on the road to permanent sobriety but (in my experience) only if you can work out where you are going wrong and making some tough decisions and be brutally honest with yourself. You say you have no control over it. I call BS on your AV on that one. That nasty lying voice inside convincing you to leave your home, get in your car, drive to the shop, pick up bottle of poison, pay for poison, open the bottle, pour out a glass, put it to your lips and take a sip. Do you see that what may seem like a spur of the moment thing is indeed a series of events over which YOU have complete control? It's having a strategy when the AV teases you and breaking the cycle that may hold the key for you Pinky.
I say this in kindness because the binging for me was way worse health wise than daily drinking. Out of nowhere bang I was beyond hangover and in withdrawal territory and then the whole thing became a fight for my life as I was genuinely frightened that this think would kill me. Soon.
You seem to be strong and positive right now so I'd recommend working your plan to be prepared before your AV hits. But oh no Pinky's AV! She is going to be prepared this time and fight you with everything she's got! And she has a wonderful husband and friends here to turn to BEFORE she drinks! She's already got a bullet proof plan for this weekend so get back in your box AV!
We are with you Pinky. I know it's hard but the more you come here and actively participate the better.
Take care sweetheart I can't wait to see your progress on your journey to permanent sobriety ❤❤❤
Old 07-05-2018, 10:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I relapsed too. though I am still going to quit
C'mon you can do it, get your life back.
All the best.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Pinky
I've read posts on people struggling like me. Surely sobriety will stick for us if we keep fighting for it?
I think it will - but you have to be open to trying new approaches I think?

doing the same things as I did the other 999 times I tried to quit ended me up in the same place.

D
Old 07-06-2018, 12:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Pinky1 View Post
I related to the newcomers, but I listened to those with a solution. That's how I got well.