I attended AA today-OOPS

Old 07-05-2018, 12:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I attended AA today-OOPS

So I decided to go to one of the meetings I found close to my job. Showed up at noon and sat down and during introductions realized I was at an AA meeting. They told me I could stay and I did so I could see what they do. I honestly do not see what is so bad about it. I really don't. They were all super nice. After the meeting I was bombarded by people trying to hug me and I got a ton of phone numbers in case I needed to talk and they showed me where the al anon meeting was. I think I'm going to go to the 530 meeting today.

I have hope that maybe I'll find some peace for myself.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

good on ya!

ya might see some of them folks from the AA meeting at the al anon meeting.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yea one of the women said she started at al anon. Because she wanted her husband to stop drinking her alcohol. Then realized she had a problem and does both!

Their stories were heartbreaking and inspiring.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I think it's a good idea for anyone in a relationship with someone in recovery to experience their treatment method with them, if only just once. Takes the mystery out of it and may give some insight into their process and psychic states at various times.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sometimes God leads us to where we needed to be at that moment.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm glad you found it helpful. I went once too, one of the women in my al anon group, also goes to AA, she was getting her 16-year chip and invited the al anon group for support. It was good for me to go, to hear others stories, and take the fear of the unknown away.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm glad you found it helpful and great that everyone was so welcoming.

I've thought of attending an AA meeting just to see but I barely made it in to one Al-Anon meeting!
Old 07-05-2018, 09:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm glad that you were welcomed, alwayscovering, and that you learned some things from attending. However, in my neck of the woods, it's not encouraged for anyone except alcoholics to attend AA meetings. There are a number of meetings that have an "open" session, usually once a month, and these will be marked as such in the online directory. Those "open" meetings are for anyone who cares to attend, not just alcoholics. I've been to several of those in the past and have found them useful.

Not to say you did anything wrong, just saying I think I'd respect their private space as I'd expect them to respect mine at Alanon, and only attend open meetings...
Old 07-06-2018, 12:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life is good

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
Sometimes God leads us to where we needed to be at that moment.
I find this happening again and again.

God, of my understanding, that I'm getting to know, has a beautiful sense of humor and timing that defies logic.

Prayer: God, please give me eyes to see, ears to hear and strength to embrace the illogical magic of life.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
I'm glad that you were welcomed, alwayscovering, and that you learned some things from attending. However, in my neck of the woods, it's not encouraged for anyone except alcoholics to attend AA meetings. There are a number of meetings that have an "open" session, usually once a month, and these will be marked as such in the online directory. Those "open" meetings are for anyone who cares to attend, not just alcoholics. I've been to several of those in the past and have found them useful.

Not to say you did anything wrong, just saying I think I'd respect their private space as I'd expect them to respect mine at Alanon, and only attend open meetings...
I wouldn’t have stayed if they would have said I couldn’t. I went to the 530 al anon meeting and found that the noon meeting is always open. I wouldn’t want someone to do that while my AH was in the group. (Not that I think he’d ever go)
Old 07-06-2018, 04:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

alwayscovering…..I am sure that you offended no one. don't worry about it.....
They welcomed you beautifully......