Notices

18 months looming

Old 07-05-2018, 10:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

18 months looming

I doubt my friends, I and definitely the long- suffering Mods on here, would at one point ever thought this day would come.
I don't post often but this time last year, I thought I had flu - yeah in the middle of summer. I would look out the window when I managed to stagger to it) and think oh man this one is severe - but then I'd head off back to the couch and to sleep.
I went to the Doctor - who thought I had a stomach ulcer and asked me how much I drank - at that point zilch - I'd come to my senses a few months before. - had 'tummy pains' but nothing major.
She said 'We need to get some blood tests done' and I said (and to this day I have no idea where this came from') 'Do they test for Diabetes? She said ' Well there is none of that in your family (there wasn't ) so I went back to reception and they told me ' 4pm this afternoon'? By this time 11am - I thought - there is no way I can go home and walk back down (a mile) so I said - is there another one? She gave me one for two days later.
I went for the blood tests on the Thursday and that night the phone rang at 8pm - I don't usual answer 'witheld calls' but for some reason and after all the craziness of the bush outside 'moving' when I looked at it - I answered.
The Doc (emergency) said 'DO you have diabetes - we've just had your test results' _ I said 'Not that I know of' and he said ' Ok I want you to go sit down and sip water I'm sending an ambulance.

That was ONE year ago tomorrow - to come back to today - I knackered my pancreas with drinking every two weeks (not even daily) but I binge drank every two weeks. Not even LOADS - perhaps 16 lagers or a bottle of voddie over a few days but this is where I am today. Diabetic - relying on Insulin - and wanting to make YOU, yes YOU the person reading this realise it DOES happen and it's not just liver you need to be worrying about.

Pancreatitis (upper left pain) you get like 3 chances - I only ever got it every 6 months or so, but it was my pancreas effectively dying. Don't let this happen to you! Diabetes and insulin - I'm used to them now, but they are no joke and trust me - you want to worry about taking a shower incase you have a hypo? Want to have to take orange juice in there with you 'just in case'?

I never thought this could happen to me - didn't even know it could - I'm nothing special but it did - Stop now and stay stopped
Please?

Kate x
PS To the Mods that put up with me back in the day - I love you
Old 07-05-2018, 10:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can't imagine! I hope you are doing much better today.

I mean, its obvious why we all think of our livers as the primary target of alcohol. But the reality is it effects our entire digestive tract, pancreas, kidneys, brain, the whole nervous system. Causes high blood pressure so there's goes the heart. In other words, it kills the entire body when consumed to excess. Its been my experience that we all seem to have an 'Achilles heal'. My father drank a horrendous amount for 50 years. Liver is fine. But he can't pull together 4 brain cells. It aint pretty folks.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Frick - I had no idea and I posted as I am sure other's don't either.
It's hard - I won't lie but I'm alive thanks to the brilliant health team here who saved me back then. I don't post often but my anniversary means a lot to me and I wanted to let others know - i was too ashamed before x
Peace and hugs and love to you and thanks for replying and caring xx
I was only a twice a month drinker and hell if this can happen to me - then it can happen to anyone xxx
Old 07-05-2018, 05:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats Zanna

D
Old 07-06-2018, 01:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

congratulations on 18 month Zanna/Kate!

I'm sorry you have to take insulin now, but I'm glad it was caught in time & you're still here with us. another great reason, as if we didn't have enough already, for us to stop & stay stopped!

there was a piece in The Guardian about pancreatitis recently. it's not something I knew very much about, but it can be just as devastating as cirrhosis:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...e-pancreatitis
Old 07-06-2018, 07:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
J50

Thank you for posting this. It's a wake up call to anyone that you don't have to be an "alcoholic" or everyday drinker to feel the long term devasting effects of alcohol. Congrats on 18 months!
Old 08-23-2018, 12:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zanna View Post

That was ONE year ago tomorrow - to come back to today - I knackered my pancreas with drinking every two weeks (not even daily) but I binge drank every two weeks. Not even LOADS - perhaps 16 lagers or a bottle of voddie over a few days but this is where I am today. Diabetic - relying on Insulin - and wanting to make YOU, yes YOU the person reading this realise it DOES happen and it's not just liver you need to be worrying about.

Pancreatitis (upper left pain) you get like 3 chances - I only ever got it every 6 months or so, but it was my pancreas effectively dying. Don't let this happen to you! Diabetes and insulin - I'm used to them now, but they are no joke and trust me - you want to worry about taking a shower incase you have a hypo? Want to have to take orange juice in there with you 'just in case'?
Zanna how is your pancreas now. It is very sobering to learn it is not only 24/7 drinkers that get pancreatitis.