Notices

Question About Large Final Dose At Jump Off

Old 07-05-2018, 09:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question About Large Final Dose At Jump Off

I have read, occasionally, that some doctors recommend a large final dose at the end of a gradual buprenorphine taper down, since a single dose doesn't affect tolerance, and a large final dose creates an organic extension of the taper via the half-life elimination curve. I have experimented with charting this hypothesis, and have successfully come up with scenarios in which a fairly steady trend line of the overall buprenorphine levels can be drawn through, ignoring the spike, and appears more favorable than simply jumping off.

I want to ask, though, if anyone out there has any experience with this method. I have tapered down to a daily dose of 0.1125mg at 6pm, and am close to stabilizing there. Next, I was planning on continuing to taper for about two more weeks--five days at 0.075mg, five days at 0.0375mg, three days at 0.01875mg,and then jumping off. The problem is that if I do it that way, I will be pretty uncomfortable because that won't be quite enough time for me to get used to each of those new levels before stepping down again. However, that makes the most sense with my work and life schedule.

Yet, there seems to be another option. I could get as low as I can stand, as quickly as I can, and then jump off with a 2mg final dose. This would cause a single, dramatic spike in my buprenorphine level, but also create a natural taper that looks more gradual than my original plan. This would also enable me to stop sooner, and have a handful of symptom-free days before the final withdrawal, which could still be timed the way I need it to be.

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with this concept?
Old 08-11-2018, 03:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My doctor recommended a patch that would have gradual release for the last month, but I was able to stop on my own and never needed to try the patch?