Notices

Relapse

Old 07-05-2018, 01:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relapse

Hi all, Had a relapse, it was a really long relapse. Before that I was sober for well over 3 years.

Anyway back fighting it again. Doing it cold turkey, last time I did it the same way. I know how the relapse happened, the trigger, that's for sure. My drinking was 12 cans a day minimum up until a few days ago, and it really could be 12 cans today but I just remind myself how good I felt when I didn't drink and all the normal good things I did, the energy I had, everything was just as it should be.

I'm definitely on my way to that great place again. And I'm going to keep fighting it each day.

But the stopping part, going cold turkey. Well something clicked in my brain last Saturday, it was more physcological than actually doing something because I was drunk. I was just thinking and remembering how good I felt back in 2013 up until my relapse in January 2017.

So on my way home it was really turning over in my mind to start doing much more than my best not to be a slave to it anymore and get my life back. That was last Saturday, and I'm going to get to 1 week, 2 weeks and so on, so that I get back to how things should be in a decent life rather than be a slave to it and the miserable life it brings with it.

Thank you SR.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Dejvice

withdrawal is one thing - I recommend professional medical assistance to be safest - but have you given any though to what happens after that ? how you'll stay sober?

D
Old 07-05-2018, 01:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome back. I also encourage you to reach out for help to support long term sobriety.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

welcome..I agree- see a doc, get a plan, go to meetings..
support to you
Old 07-05-2018, 05:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Rar

Welcome back Dejvice. You sound determined to get off the roller coaster, so that's a great start. How are you doing? Still hanging in there?
Old 07-05-2018, 09:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome back to SR!
Old 07-05-2018, 10:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I also had a relapse after three years sober. Now I'm back to day 11, but I have to remind myself that I did it once before, so I can do it again. I'm back to my old AA meetings and trying my best to get connected again. It hasn't been easy, but I'm determined to do this. I'm tired of the insanity of alcohol. It sounds like your determined, too.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for your suggestions, very much appreciated.

I have been refreshing my memory with health effects of alcohol, a few podcasts. etc. the support that works for me right now is my family and just doing the right thing, though I haven't made an issue about it...'hey today, I m starting from day one'. Day by day they will see the results.

I haven't felt the need for a drink, more like just so fed up of feeling miserable about my drinking and the baggage it brings along with it.

Anyway, found an empty beer can in my wardrobe yesterday, most likely from one of those mornings where I needed a beer at 9 or 10am in the morning and drank it in the bedroom and stashed the evidence there. Or even worse, waking up 4 am not being able to sleep, knocking back a few cold cans and back to bed about 5am. I'm sure there are many of us who have done, though I could be wrong.

Anyway, just going to take this day as it is. Do what I have to do and move on.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
AA Member

how are you doing today Dejvice ?

Old 07-06-2018, 10:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by january161992 View Post
how are you doing today Dejvice ?

All good. Thank you for asking.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dejvice View Post
Thank you for your suggestions, very much appreciated.

I have been refreshing my memory with health effects of alcohol, a few podcasts. etc. the support that works for me right now is my family and just doing the right thing, though I haven't made an issue about it...'hey today, I m starting from day one'. Day by day they will see the results.

I haven't felt the need for a drink, more like just so fed up of feeling miserable about my drinking and the baggage it brings along with it.

Anyway, found an empty beer can in my wardrobe yesterday, most likely from one of those mornings where I needed a beer at 9 or 10am in the morning and drank it in the bedroom and stashed the evidence there. Or even worse, waking up 4 am not being able to sleep, knocking back a few cold cans and back to bed about 5am. I'm sure there are many of us who have done, though I could be wrong.

Anyway, just going to take this day as it is. Do what I have to do and move on.
Hi there I sometimes find it means more to me to say to myself - I choose not to drink today - instead of l won't / can't, it makes me feel more in control. I hope you have a good day, you've made a great decision