Notices

quick update

Old 07-02-2018, 04:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

quick update

Couldn't find my previous thread about this so just wanted people to know my sister is in a hospital. Been there since Friday and will be there for a while. Sounds like a psyc ward. Had a meltdown last week. She did the right thing and called her doctor. He had an ambulence take her to the hospital. She sounded fine when I talked with her today. Maybe now she will get some support from outside sources to help her when things go bad. She said she is open to help, something she has not been willing to accept in the future. A big relief for me to know other people are involved. One thing about Minnesota; they have excellent services for people dealing with the problems my sister has. John
Old 07-02-2018, 04:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad your sister is safe and being cared for John. Must be a huge load off your mind

D
Old 07-02-2018, 04:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad she's got good care. I'm sure you are very relieved that she is in a safe place.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

John, I'm so glad that your sister is safe and getting the care she needs.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

John - I'm so glad to hear the good news that she's willing to seek help. Let us know how she's doing in the days to come.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
John - I'm so glad to hear the good news that she's willing to seek help. Let us know how she's doing in the days to come.
Will do. John
Old 07-07-2018, 09:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Rar

How's your sister doing, John?
Old 07-07-2018, 09:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just catching this thread, John. I am glad that your sister sought help and is being well-cared for.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad to hear that she got help, I know you must be relieved.
Old 07-07-2018, 12:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Just catching this thread, John. I am glad that your sister sought help and is being well-cared for.
She got home from the hospital yesterday and sounds fine. I will call her back tomorrow to see what type of aftercare plan they set up for her. Sounds like that meltdown last week really scared her, so hopefully she will follow through, but a lot depends on whether she takes her meds or not. She really believes she is not schizophrinic (sp). She told me while she was in the hospital that nurses shoved sugar pills down her throat and someone kept knocking on her hospital door but nobody was there. Time will tell. Thanks for asking and hope everybody is doing well. John
Old 07-07-2018, 12:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad to hear she's doing well John. I hope she decides to take her pills and follow through with the aftercare as well. She's lucky to have you around to keep tabs on her but it's of course her job to seek help and do what she needs to do. It's encouraging that she is at least saying that she'll do those things.
Old 07-07-2018, 12:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well, at least she did call me to let me know what was going on with her. There was time when she wouldn't even do that. She felt I was pretty much out to get her. Small steps I guess. John
Old 07-07-2018, 06:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm glad there's some positivity, John. I hope it continues.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well, things haven't been going well for my sister. I've been in touch with my sister a lot in the last two weeks. It's pretty clear she is living more in her world than the real world right now. She is trying to find a lawyer that will work with her to file a suit to the hospital she was in, alleging a nurse abused her by forcing her to take sugar pills. Of course, no lawyer would take her seriously. She is saying a women is following her around yelling at her telling my sister she is on welfare. People are still going into her apartment taking things and moving things around. Someone also burned the seats in her car.
Now she says she has to go to court cause a bank is saying she owes them money on a charge card she says she never had. She also says that her workmans comp money will end next year and she knew nothing about it, and blames her lawyer for not telling her this. Of course, I don't know if any of this is true. My sister is always the victim.
I told her she should get a hold of social services in her county, but haven't heard back from her. She has also not contacted the social worker from the hospital she was in to arrange support services.
It hurts cause when she is dealing with the real world, she is great to talk to but when she shifts back into her world, nothing makes sense, except to her.
All I know is that it is taking a toll on me, so I need to separate myself from her for now. Looking to her for support is a waste of time right now, since when she is in her world, it's all about her. I made the right decision to move away from her years ago. Otherwise, she would of drained me dry and thought nothing of it and blamed me for not being able to give her more. At least I was able to move my mother out of that situation and gave her some happiness before she passed away. John
Old 07-12-2018, 02:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Wow, she has some problems, doesn't she? I'm glad you're not going to get caught up in her 'reality'. I hope she finds some peace of mind, and you too John.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Wow, she has some problems, doesn't she? I'm glad you're not going to get caught up in her 'reality'. I hope she finds some peace of mind, and you too John.
What's really sad is that she has been prescribed med that would help her, but she refuses to take them cause she doesn't thing she has a problem. It's everybody else that has a problem, not her.
I can't allow myself to get caught up in her problems. She really wouldn't care if my concern for her affected me. Not that she doesn't love me cause she does. In her world, it's all about her and her needs. She just doesn't have any real feelings for other people. She laughed when I told her my concern about a friend that had a mild heart attack. She joked and laughed with a police officer while my mother layed dead on the floor in front of her then went into my mother's bedroom to collect her jewlery which I stopped. When picking a casket for my mother, my sister wanted to buy the cheapest kind for a person that a person would be cremated in. I had to insist on a proper buriel. The crazy thing is that my sister didn't pay for any of it.
My brother did pretty much the same with my father.
Wish I could cut my sister off, but I can't. I know that if I died, the only thing that she would think about is how it will affect her.
Sometimes I wonder if I was adopted. To me family is everything and deserves the best. I was always looked at as the oddball in my family. A black sheep maybe. John
Old 07-12-2018, 03:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Rar

I feel so bad for you John, because I know you're probably worrying most every minute. I agree that it's best for you if you can try to distance yourelf.

Can a guardian and/or conservator be appointed for your sister?
Old 07-12-2018, 04:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know this must be a difficult situation for you John. I'm sorry.

D
Old 07-12-2018, 06:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm sorry too, John. But I'm glad you've had the good sense to back off a bit. You know better than to believe everything she says. We can love someone and not understand them - and not be able to help them.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:00 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rar View Post
I feel so bad for you John, because I know you're probably worrying most every minute. I agree that it's best for you if you can try to distance yourelf.

Can a guardian and/or conservator be appointed for your sister?
My mother and I tried many years ago to do something legally to help her, but as long as she appears to be taking care of herself, there was nothing we could do. A psychiatrist would have to say she is a threat to herself and others before anything could be done, and her psychiatrist wouldn't do that. Liability concerns. She even threatened to shoot someone and that wasn't enough. You gotta be in really bad shape before the courts will do anything to help. Even if she was homeless and walking the streets; if she refuses help, nothing can be done. That's the law. John