Notices

First time poster

Old 07-02-2018, 02:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First time poster

Hello everybody,

I have been lurking around for a few weeks and have finally plucked up the courage to say hi, so, hi! I have found the forums very helpful and was nicely surprised to discover how nice everyone is here.

I have been a drinker for the better part of 25 years, mostly wine sometimes not, sometimes daily, sometimes not and kicking the habit has been long overdue. It was starting to cause problems in my relationship and I'm not going to let that happen, my partner certainly doesn't deserve to deal with my angry, drunk self. Plus the "Do you remember what you said/did last night?" in the morning was horrible.

I started this journey in February and was doing well, April not so much. Recommitted in May and I am now 60 days sober which I am both amazed and shocked by. I wasn't drinking everyday so I didn't experience many physical withdrawal symptoms (apart from being very tired), it's the mental and emotional aspect that has been the hardest part for me. Thankfully I discovered this site and found out what PAWS was, that explained a LOT. It makes things so much easier when I wake up sad/full of anxiety etc and know the probable reason why.

Things are going great at the moment, I eat a healthy diet and exercise most days. I journal and am learning to meditate which I've never done before and I'm trying to be kind to myself. My favorite thing to do right now is sit on the porch at dusk and watch the lightening bugs, it soothes my soul.

I'm trying to work hard on being a nicer person and more empathetic to those around me. Upon reflection I have realized that whilst I was drinking I was very self centered, judgmental and really not very nice sometimes. It's easier now that I don't want to rip peoples heads off all the time lol. My biggest fear is that I will be just as much of an ass sober, I really hope not.

Anyway, thanks to anyone that reads this, well done to those of you sober and for anyone still trying don't give up we can do it!

Old 07-02-2018, 02:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome, Helianthus! It's so good to have you join us. This is a wonderful place for encouragement.

I drank 30 yrs. - & towards the end, I found it altered my personality greatly. It turned me into a confrontational, irritable & reckless person. The exact opposite of the real me. I was putting myself in danger everytime it was in my system. I never knew where it was going to take me next. Very good to be free of it once and for all. Congratulations on your 60 days.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Awesome stuff mate. It's amazing how much it can still pull at you even when you didn't drink everyday.

60 days is great!
Old 07-02-2018, 02:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

60 days sober is terrific. A huge congrats on that.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Hevyn for the welcome!
Old 07-02-2018, 02:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It really is AWald88, in a strange way I sometimes wonder whether having some physical symptoms would have been better because sometimes I think I don't have a problem. But, if that's true why do I think about wine so much haha.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome and congrats on 60 days. You’re worth it 👍
Old 07-02-2018, 05:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Helianthus View Post
Hello everybody,

I have been lurking around for a few weeks and have finally plucked up the courage to say hi, so, hi! I have found the forums very helpful and was nicely surprised to discover how nice everyone is here.

I have been a drinker for the better part of 25 years, mostly wine sometimes not, sometimes daily, sometimes not and kicking the habit has been long overdue. It was starting to cause problems in my relationship and I'm not going to let that happen, my partner certainly doesn't deserve to deal with my angry, drunk self. Plus the "Do you remember what you said/did last night?" in the morning was horrible.

I started this journey in February and was doing well, April not so much. Recommitted in May and I am now 60 days sober which I am both amazed and shocked by. I wasn't drinking everyday so I didn't experience many physical withdrawal symptoms (apart from being very tired), it's the mental and emotional aspect that has been the hardest part for me. Thankfully I discovered this site and found out what PAWS was, that explained a LOT. It makes things so much easier when I wake up sad/full of anxiety etc and know the probable reason why.

Things are going great at the moment, I eat a healthy diet and exercise most days. I journal and am learning to meditate which I've never done before and I'm trying to be kind to myself. My favorite thing to do right now is sit on the porch at dusk and watch the lightening bugs, it soothes my soul.

I'm trying to work hard on being a nicer person and more empathetic to those around me. Upon reflection I have realized that whilst I was drinking I was very self centered, judgmental and really not very nice sometimes. It's easier now that I don't want to rip peoples heads off all the time lol. My biggest fear is that I will be just as much of an ass sober, I really hope not.

Anyway, thanks to anyone that reads this, well done to those of you sober and for anyone still trying don't give up we can do it!

Love this! Sounds very familiar
Old 07-02-2018, 05:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You make 60 days sound so easy. Awesome Job!. I am only on my 55 days. It takes effort and commitment to get there. Glad things are getting better for you. Keep it going...you are an inspiration!
Old 07-02-2018, 05:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and great job on 60 days sober. I love that you know you need to find ways in sobriety, to soothe your soul. That's so important!
Old 07-02-2018, 05:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family and congrats on two months sober! I hope our support can help you stay sober for good.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 60 days and welcome!
Old 07-02-2018, 08:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by iwilltryagain View Post
You make 60 days sound so easy. Awesome Job!. I am only on my 55 days. It takes effort and commitment to get there. Glad things are getting better for you. Keep it going...you are an inspiration!
Wow thank you that's such a nice thing to say. It has got a bit easier as the days go by but those first 14 felt like a year. 55 days is brilliant you'll be at 60 before you know it
Old 07-02-2018, 08:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR

D
Old 07-03-2018, 05:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

welcome