Notices

Very Scary !

Old 07-01-2018, 06:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Very Scary !

I have not gone to a meeting yet. My counseler advised me to call A.A. first to talk about my concerns. This is such a big step for me. But I know that I need to do something .
Old 07-01-2018, 06:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Everyone in that first meeting you will attend had a first meeting of their own. They know where you're coming from and they have your best interests at heart. There are no requirements to attend. You can just listen.

I would like to suggest however that you tell them it's your first meeting. It will be better for you.

After the meeting you will regret all the worry you expended ... guaranteed!
Old 07-01-2018, 06:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

What concerns do you have Satel? It is definitely a big step, but there is really nothing to fear. You will simply find a group of people who are there for the same reason you are, and they will welcome you. You don't need to say a word either if you are not comfortable. Any recovery community is going to be like that - whether is face to face or virtual.
Old 07-01-2018, 06:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Just bite the bullet and go. They will welcome you and go out of their way to help you.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Well, I called AA first and arranged to meet a recovered alcoholic to talk about my concerns. It was the best thing I ever could have done. We talked about his drinking, my drinking, alcoholism and what AA is about. This guy knew all about it. From what I heard I decided that AA was the place for me, my best chance of recovery. That night, I went to my firts meeing, and I had a much better idea or what I was doing and why.

Strange, but I remember very little of that first meeting. No doubt they told a few war stories hoping I would identify. But I have never forgotten that afternoon spent with that man. It taught me stuff I would not have learned in a hundred meetings. It really gave me a running start.