Notices

Day 1

Old 07-01-2018, 04:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1

Ive been drinking heavily for 30+ years, Ive tried everything to give up but never succeeded. I have lost my marriage and many other things in life because of alcohol. I have been working my way to this day and have cut down to a stage where today is STOP DAY, Ive never taught out support before but I think its the only way I'm going to succeed. To be honest a life without alcohol terrifies me but. Is there anyone out there who is giving up today?
Old 07-01-2018, 04:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your decision to quit drinking! You've come to the right place for support.
Old 07-01-2018, 04:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Glad you found us! You will find lots of support here. Post as often as you like because someone is always out there for you 24/7.
You decision to quit and admit you have a problem with alcohol is a great step! Now you have to make a plan and choose to never pick up that first drink! You will soon discover that sobriety is life changing and everyday sober gets better and better!
Welcome to SR! ♡CR
Old 07-01-2018, 05:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, and very good decision. Many here have been exactly where you are.

The first few days and weeks are uncomfortable, but the tools are all on this site to continue your sober journey. Lots of wisdom and hope here.

Here's the "Class" support thread for July - you will find others who are just starting their new sober life. I spent a lot of time in my class thread in early days. Check it out!

Link:
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-1-a.html (Class of July 2018 Part 1)
Old 07-01-2018, 06:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Rolf,
I too had that terrible fear of life without alcohol. I was terrified. The great thing is it doesn’t last long. Given enough sobertime it will go away and you will discovery a happiness like never before. Yes it is hard at first but gradually life will become so much better. Try to be as positive as you can about sobriety. You are heading to a great new life my friend. We all needed support.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Today is a great day to start! Congratulations on making that decision!
Old 07-01-2018, 08:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rolf1 View Post
Ive been drinking heavily for 30+ years, Ive tried everything to give up but never succeeded. I have lost my marriage and many other things in life because of alcohol. I have been working my way to this day and have cut down to a stage where today is STOP DAY, Ive never taught out support before but I think its the only way I'm going to succeed. To be honest a life without alcohol terrifies me but. Is there anyone out there who is giving up today?
Me! And I can relate to everything u posted. I can't understand why I put something that is destroying me in every way b4 everything. My grooming has even sunken to a low.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

How we doing today Rolf. We are here if you need us my friend.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I got sober over 8 and a half years ago and don't regret a minute of it. It's hard at first but if you stay sober, it gets better.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Rolf! I drank 30 yrs. too - and now have over 10 sober. So - I know you can reclaim your life. Good to have you with us - you're never alone.
Old 07-01-2018, 03:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Me too!

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Welcome Rolf! I drank 30 yrs. too - and now have over 10 sober. So - I know you can reclaim your life. Good to have you with us - you're never alone.
I too drank 30 years and my last drink date is March 9th 2008.
Rolf, just don't drink today. If you do whatever it takes to not drink today, you can do it every day. Spirituality, companionship, and honesty will help also. Drink lots of water.
Old 07-01-2018, 04:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

i drank heavily for 25 years, maybe longer if I’m honest about it, and out of control for the past three years.

Missed work, went in to work still feeling wasted. (I’m a nurse, so shameful).

I could drink 10 mixed drinks each night Friday Saturday and Sunday, and preclude those with a couple glasses of wine. One bottle wine or more daily for three years.

Felt that if I didn’t stop I’d die. I got pains in my abdomen after I drank.

I’m sure I have liver cirrhosis, but stopped in May this year (twice).

Every day I chose not to drink. It’s hard. It’s easy. It’s different.

But to me, it’s poison. To some, it’s not. But I’m not them.

I don’t miss the bad times

Welcome to SR
Old 07-01-2018, 06:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Looks like my post didn't 'take' - welcome Rolf
How are things today?

D
Old 07-01-2018, 09:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Rolf. You will find so much support on this site. The July thread is a great place to check in every day, and so is the 24 hour thread.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you!
Old 07-02-2018, 09:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rolf1 View Post
I am here with you. I stopped 5 days ago. I feel your worries. This is an undoubted concern. These early days are great but scary at the same time. I have found support and kindness here. Keep posting. You are not alone!