Notices

It was just too perfect of a day for justifying a drink...

Old 06-30-2018, 05:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It was just too perfect of a day for justifying a drink...

I hate to say it, but when it comes to having a drink, it was hard to beat today. Warm weather for a lake-side wedding, live music playing for people casually chilling out and enjoying the positive and scenic ambience. Time out on the boat, a celebratory mood in the air, social lubrication happening all around and a definite need of cold beverages for some temperature relief. Even my pregnant friend who has never been a heavy drinker was sad saying she could have gone for a cider today.

That’s why I’m so happy and proud that on Day 26, I could acknowledge why it could be tempting, but on a temptation *difficulty to abstain* scale of 1-10, I’d score it a 2.5. I had an enjoyable, fun, wonderful, sober day 🙂
Old 06-30-2018, 05:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great Stuff

Good job Mate
Old 06-30-2018, 05:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you. We can learn to enjoy each day without alcohol. For me not drinking on such days became easier day by day. Congrats
Old 06-30-2018, 07:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Once you learn how wonderful and precious is every moment, everything is better without alcohol.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I remember a moment when I was about two years sober and in my dream job. We were entertaining some of the town's movers and shakers in this lovely hotel, and here is little old me mixing and mingling. I remember thinking for an instant how this would have been my ideal drinking scenario, and how nice it would be to have a drink. The next thought that came "If I drank, I wouldn't be here". I recoiled from the idea of a drink.

I am reminded of a relapse story in the big book. It begins something like "It was the end of a perfect day, not a cloud on the horizon".