As an adult daughter will Al Anon help?

Old 06-30-2018, 01:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

As an adult daughter will Al Anon help?

I was just wanting to get opinions if anyone has done this and if you felt it helped you!
Old 06-30-2018, 01:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

What kind of 'help' are you looking for?
Old 06-30-2018, 02:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life is good

If someone close to you, such as a family member, friend, coworker, or neighbor, has or has had a drinking problem, Al-Anon may help.

To help you decide if Al-Anon could help you, we offer three simple self-assessment quizzes:

For adults who have been affected by someone else’s alcoholismFor adults who grew up with and affected by someone else’s alcoholismFor teens who have been affected by someone else’s alcoholism

The questions in these quizzes are not meant to judge anyone or to assign labels to important people in our lives. The purpose of the questions is simply to help decide whether Al-Anon or Alateen might be able to help.
https://www.al-anon.org/

The self-assessment quizzes are on the Al-anon site.
Old 06-30-2018, 02:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life is good

I had no idea what kind of help I was looking for when I started going to Alanon. What I found were nuggets of information that helped me. After continuing to go back for those, I got serious about my own recovery from this family disease of alcoholism. I got a sponsor, worked the steps. This helped to re-set my inner compass. I now trust myself to find and cultivate healthy relationships in new ways.

I've also found healing in other ways. They all interconnect and support my healing in different ways. No one path. Many ways to find healing. The main thing for me is moving forward in my life, no matter what's going on with everyone around me.
Old 06-30-2018, 06:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There are ACOA (adult children of alcoholics) meetings as well.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Jenny!

I go to Al-Anon meetings as an ACoA. There are no ACoA meetings in my town that I have found. I really love my Al-Anon group and highly recommend finding one that fits your needs!

Hugs!
Old 07-01-2018, 05:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My sponsor suggested that I do at least a couple years focusing on my own recovery then the family aspect (in my FOO my mom is the alcoholic) with Al-Anon and poss ACOA. I'm 28 mo and change sober and plan to start this second aspect of my recovery (as far as actual programs go- I do other things to supplement my recovery already) in year 3.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much. I did the quiz and checked all but one. Due to some unseen circumstances I am staying with my parents for a bit (may be for a whole year) and I’m going crazy. They are nearing 70 and my mom is seriously mentally ill and my dad still drinks and smokes pot all the time. It’s just difficult to be around as well as feeling of resentment coming up in me from the past.
Old 07-01-2018, 12:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
I'm 28 mo and change sober and plan to start this second aspect of my recovery (as far as actual programs go- I do other things to supplement my recovery already) in year 3.
I just wanted to say kudos to on your sobriety, and the fact you are branching out in regards to other issues. I know for me, it's so important to address all areas of my life. Hugs from Kansas.