Notices

Waking up without a hangover

Old 06-29-2018, 04:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Waking up without a hangover

I'm in early recovery but waking up without a hangover is such a great feeling. I was able to get out of bed easily, didn't have to go searching for where the Excedrin was to relieve a headache, and I actually have an appetite. I just had a bagel and coffee, I'm playing with the dog outside on a nice sunny day. This is just awesome. I hope I have more days like this....
Old 06-29-2018, 04:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It never gets old! You will have many many more.
I actually like to wake up early on the weekends now and watch the sun rise.
Old 06-29-2018, 05:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Unfortunately I still have to take some pain meds like Tylenol or Ibuprofen but thank God it's not for a hangover. I think my hip needs a new joint as it has been hurting like a toothache.

Great job on the waking up sober. It feels soooooooooooooooo good!
Old 06-30-2018, 12:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Wait until you start craving walking, exercise and sunshine upon awakening...instead of hiding your head under the covers from that evil light and screaming "IT BURNS! IT BURNS!"
Old 06-30-2018, 12:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunstorm View Post
I hope I have more days like this....
And you will! 24 hours at a time
Old 06-30-2018, 05:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your current sobriety. No hangovers is great, but I also like the fact that I get hungry again. My appetite is "normal". Its amazing how many things alcohol screws up.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I woke up at 7 on a Saturday!!! Took my pregnant wife to a doctors appointment for our first child. The rewards are amazing
Old 06-30-2018, 07:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I’m happy for you Sunstorm. It’s easy to take for granted not being sick. I savor it now. I think that was a vital part of my recovery. I had to progress to where I enjoyed being sober more than I missed being drunk daily.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Right there with y’all!! It’s an awesome sober Saturday morning!!
Old 06-30-2018, 07:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It is more than just waking up not hungover. It would take me 3 days to feel normal again, then BAM, I would drink again and start the process over. Now 7 weeks of sobriety has gotten me to the point where I dread the thought of waking up feeling like #$@t
Old 06-30-2018, 08:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Marcutah1 View Post
It is more than just waking up not hungover. It would take me 3 days to feel normal again, then BAM, I would drink again and start the process over. Now 7 weeks of sobriety has gotten me to the point where I dread the thought of waking up feeling like #$@t
Yep.
Old 06-30-2018, 12:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by Marcutah1 View Post
Wake up on Monday morning. The normal person would call in sick. The alcoholic/addict goes to work, or else they'd be calling in sick every Monday. Struggle through the day, often with a nip to get through the morning commute without shaking. Manage to eat a nibble that night. Wake up Tuesday feeling nearly as bad. Lunch Tuesday is the first real meal since Sunday afternoon. Wednesday starting to feel human. Start the weekend early on Thursday, get drunk but not so drunk that Friday is bearable. Get loaded on Friday. Wake up hung over Saturday morning, start day drinking and don't stop until sometime late Sunday afternoon, if you can.

It wasn't always like that, but at its worst that would be a cycle that could last for months.

It's a good tape to play. That drink doesn't ever sound fun anymore.

I woke up headachy and sore this morning, but that was from overexertion yesterday. I haven't had a hangover since May 2017.
Old 06-30-2018, 12:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Someone once asked me what's the best thing for a hangover. I said....."Don't drink alcohol!"
Old 06-30-2018, 01:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Mindfull Man, I would polish off what I did not finish Sunday night on the way to work on Monday. Stay away from alcohol until Wednesday. Finish that Thursday morning then onto Friday night and Saturday all day. then start the process over again on Sunday night. Congratulations on a year. Keep it up.

HappyPete, Sometimes the right answer is the simplest one. Great answer.
Old 06-30-2018, 02:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Early morning and bedtime reading - one of life's sober pleasures.

Waking very early on a cold wintry Sunday morning, I crawl out from under the covers to turn on the heating, go downstairs to make myself a coffee, return to bed to read my book.

Last April, I got into a whole new area of professional interest and bought several books on it. I can't believe how many I've worked through in 2 months. I had a meeting last week with someone about some new initiatives at work and after some discussion he said: "With all the research you've done ..." and proceeded to outline a bunch of opportunities.

Research ...? That was just reading in my spare (sober) time. Now I'm an expert in something after 2 months...? Another one of those light bulb moments of realising how much potential was wasted drinking.