Notices

4 days sober and I broke..

Old 06-28-2018, 04:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

4 days sober and I broke..

I was the one who kept posting another day one post. I made it 4 days and then drank tonight. I don’t reay know why. Pleas anyone who has struggled with that first week or month, talk to me. I know it’s better on the other (sober) side....
Old 06-28-2018, 04:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's hard to quit, but it can be done. Just don't give up, learn from the experience.
I was like a swinging door. Sometimes only going a couple days, and sometimes weeks. You have to REALLY want it.
I did eventually get it right and stayed sober.
It will be 5 years next month.
Make this the most important thing in your life. And you will succeed.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry that you drank today. I really struggled on Day 3/4. I think it was because I started to feel better and so, my illogical mind said drinking would be okay.

Start again and be prepared for days like today. Make a list of things that you can do next time you feel like drinking after a few days. I'm glad you're here.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry your struggling, looking back many of my attempts at sobriety were practice runs. Yes I learned something positive each attempt but I was missing one key point. I really wasn’t committed to the fact that I could not ,and would not ever drink again. My addicted brain always gave me the slightest bit of wiggle room as to the definition of “forever” and that’s all it took.

Once I really realized that this was it and I didn’t want to ever drink again my approach changed just enough for me to succeed. It’s hard, no doubt but it’s definitely worth it.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I relapsed hard from February to May after 1 year and 1 month sober. Racked up almost 400 consecutive sober days and then couldn't go a day or two without drinking. Horrible times.

Thankfully, I'm now at 37(?) or so days of recovery again. I am convinced that my last period of sobriety ended because I stopped doing the things that kept me sober (meetings, 1:1 conversations with other alcoholics, posting here, etc.). Now that I've come back to those practices, 3 or 4 days will pass without drinking and I hardly notice it. I cannot forget that my sobriety takes work, and I will have a daily reprieve from the horrors of alcoholism as long as I am focused on my practices 24 hours at a time.

Hang in there, it absolutely gets better!
Old 06-28-2018, 05:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Next time, if you are trying to leverage this forum for support, post before you drink.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

JC,

I'm a newbie at this, but can at least give you the nickel/dime tour of my sober month (28 days today). That days 2-3-4 period was the absolute worst for me, mainly in terms of through the roof anxiety which led me to drink again a number of times.

Once I finally broke through into my 2nd-3rd week of being sober, there has been a noticable improvement in how I feel and my ability to shake off the cravings. Don't get me wrong, I am still struggling at times, but things are going much better now that the acute withdrawal stage is behind me.

Coming here has been very helpful (thank you all ) both in terms of support and information (or perhaps just as a means of riding out a craving). Try to fight through that 1st week and then regroup for the 2nd and try that one too. Keep life as simple as you can and focus as much energy to staying sober as you can.

One day at a time. So much truth in that. Stay strong.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some great ideas here
Noone needs to do this alone jeycey. Support here 24/7

If you really don't want to drink, you don't have to

D
Old 06-28-2018, 06:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Four days is barely thru the physical withdrawal. You didn't have a chance to see how good you can feel sober.

Try again, but this time you've got to want to be sober more than you want to drink.

If you feel like drinking, come here and post first so we can talk you out of it.
Old 06-29-2018, 05:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I was thinking that the withdrawal can take 5 or more days. Even fairly liberal folks around here admit to being powerless over alcohol after the first drink, because that first drink sets off an overwhelming craving. It is virtually impossible to stop an alcholic mid-binge unless you lock them up.

A supervised detox may be an answer to that.

On the other hand, something I see a lot in detox wards, is the patient who becomes a victim or their own rapid recovery. First two days, scared to death, willing to do anything, talk to anyone. Third day onwards, start feeling better, ego rebuilds, memory of the scary but fades, only willing to do what suits. They go on to become what the nurse call the "frequent flyers"

If you are in that latter group, all I can suggest is that you use that initial gift of desperation to drive you as far as possible into a recovery program. With help it may be possible to trun the tables.
Old 06-29-2018, 06:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Rar

Hi Jecey....The first few days are very tough. We all understand and have been where you are. During my first few days, I used to count the hours. Late afternoons and evenings were my worst time. I drank chamomile tea and sleepytime tea to relax me. Sometimes I went to bed at 6:00 p.m. . I did anything and everything to not drink. I spent hours and hours on SR. Reading and posting reinforced my commitment to not drink. The more days that go by for you, the less you will want to give them away to a relapse and another Day 1.

I think it's awesome you aren't giving up. Hang in there and keep on trying! You can do this. We're rooting for you.
Old 06-29-2018, 06:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sending you wishes for a great day. Did you figure out what triggered you? Sometimes in the beginning (for me) just those first few days were a great high. I loved the feeling I was winning. Only trouble was, my partner continued to drink and so it was around. I had very little impulse control in the early days. I still prefer all alcohol out of my home, it's better that way FOR ME. Figure out your triggers and eliminate them. If it's a certain time of the day then plan gym time or activity. Set yourself up for success instead of failure. Know how manipulative your AV is. Do this with each day you wake up. Old habits die hard but you can do this.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I really struggled on Day 3/4. I think it was because I started to feel better and so, my illogical mind said drinking would be okay.
I've gone through that so many times. Getting through 2 or 3 nights of not drinking logically means that I have control over drinking and can go ahead and buy more booze.

Restarted a lot of day 1's because of that faulty logic.

I've learned my lesson.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Day 3 used to be my tipping point, by that day I would always convince myself that I could drink normally, big mistake.
It changed when I accepted the fact that I could never go back to drinking and that I had to be done for good. From that point it became easier to live sober, every time the AV spoke I remembered where that first drink led and I shut the voice down. It hasn't always been easy and requires work on my part daily but at 10 months sober (longest sober run in 20 years) I rarely think about drinking now.