Notices

Just need a bit of support

Old 06-27-2018, 03:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just need a bit of support

Hi All.

So I've been struggling with alcohol on and off for maybe 4 or 5 years now. Just recently my weekend binges have taken over and it's affecting my relationship and work too.

Today I'm full of anxiety and I can't think straight after drinking wine all day yesterday, I called in sick to work. I know I have underlying depression/anxiety which really stresses me out - I use alcohol to self medicate.

I was put on several different anti depressants a few years ago and they actually made me worse, so I made the decision to stop them.

I just want to feel like my old self again without the need for drinking.

So I'm on day one and I really want to knock it on the head this time.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Your story resonates with me. I drink to cover anxiety. I'm on day four. We can do this.

Someone said something on here the other day that really spoke to me .

"You never wake up going I wish I'd drank yesterday"
Old 06-27-2018, 04:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Oneday04 View Post
Your story resonates with me. I drink to cover anxiety. I'm on day four. We can do this.

Someone said something on here the other day that really spoke to me .

"You never wake up going I wish I'd drank yesterday"
Thank you.

I know I have it in me to stop, I just need to keep reminding myself, particularly when I'm feeling better. I've read a lot about taking it one day at a time and committing to myself to not drink TODAY. That's what I'm going to do.

I'm also going to find some healthier activities to help keep the anxiety at bay.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Future, I found when I stopped drinking my anxiety reduced dramatically.
Alcohol is a depressant. Day 68 for me. You'll find plenty of support on SR.

Mike
Old 06-27-2018, 05:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The anxiety was far worse for me when I drank/stopped/drank/stopped.

The alcohol is a sedative. Coming off it (like the next morning) the nervous system is on high alert. Fight or Flight? How about both!?!

Continuous sober time took away my anxiety nearly 100% - and I did it without medication. As a matter of fact I was on several Rx drugs while drinking - for anxiety/depression/migraines/high blood pressure. I got off all of them.

With some sober time, I think you'll look for and find other ways to treat any underlying mental health issues. Alcohol is never the correct answer, but it is a short term sedative for the Central Nervous System, so it gets its hooks in and that is how addiction gets a foot in the door.

I stopped drinking and then did all kinds of research and read all kinds of things on how to stop my anxiety and now it's just a tiny background noise every now and then.

Get through the first bit (which is uncomfortable, not impossible) and your body will start to heal.

Welcome to the site, Futurehope79
Old 06-27-2018, 06:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi FH,
For me, it was like the 'chicken & egg' scenario - which came first, the alcohol or the anxiety. Did one make the other worse etc.
Truth is, I'm not sure and probably won't ever know. But that's ok, now that I've managed to get a little time under the belt without drinking, I absolutely feel tons better. The anxiety is lifting.
Hoping you feel better soon, and a big welcome from me
Johnnie.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Futurehope79.

Welcome to SR. I got sober 20 years ago when SR wasn't around - I don't think. I got sober by attending meetings of Alcoholics Anonymous. Antidepressants didn't work for me either. Doctors didn't know what to do for me other than prescribe pills, then I developed an obsession for the pills. I knew after attending several meetings that AA is where I belonged. What I loved about the program so much, and still do today, is no one is diagnosing me or telling me what to do. I listen to their stories and identify with the feelings when they share their stories of hopelessness. I couldn't do it alone, and I think I would have died if I hadn't have found a group of people who had gone through the same things I had and had found a way out. Good luck to you.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Futurehope!

It sounds like you're ready to make this work. Hopefully your anxiety and depression will clear up when you stop drinking. If not, you might give the medication option another try. It's often frustrating to find what works for you, but it might be worth checking it out.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Futurehope79 View Post
Hi All.

So I've been struggling with alcohol on and off for maybe 4 or 5 years now. Just recently my weekend binges have taken over and it's affecting my relationship and work too.

Today I'm full of anxiety and I can't think straight after drinking wine all day yesterday, I called in sick to work. I know I have underlying depression/anxiety which really stresses me out - I use alcohol to self medicate.

I was put on several different anti depressants a few years ago and they actually made me worse, so I made the decision to stop them.

I just want to feel like my old self again without the need for drinking.

So I'm on day one and I really want to knock it on the head this time.
I too have anxiety issues..but after awhile alcohol only makes them worse. I think for me the 1st two months was brutal; terrible anxiety...it gets better though! Some days are good, some bad...i used to take meds for my anxiety issues...many years ago. I never thought they really helped either. If you are like me, you may have days that your anxiety is so severe, you feel like you need to be alone in bed...but that becomes so much more manageable after booze is out of the equation for awhile..you will begin to feel more like yourself again. Just stick with it and give it time. Funny thing for me, i thought id stop drinking for a few months, feel better, then go right back to it like everyone else around me..i have gone to bars, friends, dinners, etc..minus drinking for 7 months now. I think i realized when i hit the 2 month mark, that drinking isnt an option for me..it brings more harm than good..ie MORE anxiety, sweating, elevated body temp, racing heart, pains, mental fog, depression, etc. Of course it didnt start out like that!! Alcohol is progressive! You said you have been struggling for 4 or 5 years..dont let it be 10 or 20.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Futurehope79, rootin for ya.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sobriety2018 View Post
I too have anxiety issues..but after awhile alcohol only makes them worse. I think for me the 1st two months was brutal; terrible anxiety...it gets better though! Some days are good, some bad...i used to take meds for my anxiety issues...many years ago. I never thought they really helped either. If you are like me, you may have days that your anxiety is so severe, you feel like you need to be alone in bed...but that becomes so much more manageable after booze is out of the equation for awhile..you will begin to feel more like yourself again. Just stick with it and give it time. Funny thing for me, i thought id stop drinking for a few months, feel better, then go right back to it like everyone else around me..i have gone to bars, friends, dinners, etc..minus drinking for 7 months now. I think i realized when i hit the 2 month mark, that drinking isnt an option for me..it brings more harm than good..ie MORE anxiety, sweating, elevated body temp, racing heart, pains, mental fog, depression, etc. Of course it didnt start out like that!! Alcohol is progressive! You said you have been struggling for 4 or 5 years..dont let it be 10 or 20.
Yes this is defo me! I want to do everything in my power to knock it - thank you. Day one almost complete here in the UK and I know tomorrow will be a better day.

Thanks to everyone who welcomed me. I'll be back tomorrow
Old 06-27-2018, 09:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JOHNNIEH63 View Post
Hi FH,
For me, it was like the 'chicken & egg' scenario - which came first, the alcohol or the anxiety. Did one make the other worse etc.
Truth is, I'm not sure and probably won't ever know. But that's ok, now that I've managed to get a little time under the belt without drinking, I absolutely feel tons better. The anxiety is lifting.
Hoping you feel better soon, and a big welcome from me
Johnnie.
Thank you!
Old 06-27-2018, 03:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Very glad to have you here futurehope

D
Old 06-27-2018, 05:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's so good to meet you, Futurehope. You are never alone.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

"Just need a bit of support"

I sw the title of your post, then read the content and thought that has to be the understatement of the century. I was like you and what I needed was a miracle.

I went through a stage where I thought I could get away with self reliance and a bit of support here and there, but I did not realise the seriousness of my situation. Half measure got me nowhere and I finished up in a place too awful to contemplate. At that point I was desperate, I was willing to do anything for the misery to stop.

In AA we talk about desperation in the sense of a downing man siezing a life preserver. The "gift of desperation".

You have made some good decisions and got the decks clear of everything except the alcohol. That puts you in a very good position to make a full recovery if you are willing to do what it takes.

Some guiding experience about what may come up for you:

If it feels good, it may not be good. If it feels bad, it may not only be good but vital. If you are advised to take an action within the context of a program and you don't understand it, do it anyway. The understanding will come from the experience. The path to sobriety can be painful, and this is not a bad thing. As a wise man once said, "Pain is the touchstone of all spiritual growth".

The whole deal is about a lot more than just not drinking. There is a much better life ahead.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
"Just need a bit of support"

I sw the title of your post, then read the content and thought that has to be the understatement of the century. I was like you and what I needed was a miracle.

I went through a stage where I thought I could get away with self reliance and a bit of support here and there, but I did not realise the seriousness of my situation. Half measure got me nowhere and I finished up in a place too awful to contemplate. At that point I was desperate, I was willing to do anything for the misery to stop.

In AA we talk about desperation in the sense of a downing man siezing a life preserver. The "gift of desperation".

You have made some good decisions and got the decks clear of everything except the alcohol. That puts you in a very good position to make a full recovery if you are willing to do what it takes.

Some guiding experience about what may come up for you:

If it feels good, it may not be good. If it feels bad, it may not only be good but vital. If you are advised to take an action within the context of a program and you don't understand it, do it anyway. The understanding will come from the experience. The path to sobriety can be painful, and this is not a bad thing. As a wise man once said, "Pain is the touchstone of all spiritual growth".

The whole deal is about a lot more than just not drinking. There is a much better life ahead.
Thank you,

I have been doing some research into recovery plans. I also got a book a couple of weeks ago which I've started reading, it's a month challenge: Record and analyse the reasons for wanting to stop drinking, plan to deal with triggers and see how you feel after a month. I'm committed to give it a shot.

I do understand the importance of what you are saying. Day 2 and I'm feeling a lot better and more positive.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I owe so much of my sobriety to SR. There are so many people here with empathy, similar experiences and wisdom. Keep posting, keep reading. You'll find the path for you.

For me it was finally coming to terms with accepting that I just cannot drink. I effected my work, my life, my spirit, my health, my bank account - and oh everything else as well. I finally realized, after failing to quit, quitting, "moderating", bingeing etc etc - that my life is a better one without the poison.

I am freer, at peace, stronger, calmer, more confident, happier, healthier and every other positive "-er" you can name since I put the booze down for good.

Like you'll hear often here, if I can do it, so can you. It's a matter of clearly defining WHY you need to quit and HOW you are going to quit. AA, AVRT, god/godlessness - whatever it is. You need to go deep and pull it out.

Welcome to SR. Congrats on your choice to put the poison down. A better life awaits.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:10 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
I owe so much of my sobriety to SR. There are so many people here with empathy, similar experiences and wisdom. Keep posting, keep reading. You'll find the path for you.

For me it was finally coming to terms with accepting that I just cannot drink. I effected my work, my life, my spirit, my health, my bank account - and oh everything else as well. I finally realized, after failing to quit, quitting, "moderating", bingeing etc etc - that my life is a better one without the poison.

I am freer, at peace, stronger, calmer, more confident, happier, healthier and every other positive "-er" you can name since I put the booze down for good.

Like you'll hear often here, if I can do it, so can you. It's a matter of clearly defining WHY you need to quit and HOW you are going to quit. AA, AVRT, god/godlessness - whatever it is. You need to go deep and pull it out.

Welcome to SR. Congrats on your choice to put the poison down. A better life awaits.
Thank you! Your words give me hope. I'm focused on today only at the moment - day 3. No drink for me today.

I just won't be able to moderate - I have to stop completely and that will require digging deep and following a plan. I've had sober periods previously and I've slipped back to drinking all too easily.

I guess for me it seems to be when pressure / anxiety / stress / depression builds and I have no plans or too much time on my hands - those are my main triggers for drinking, a release I guess.

When I don't drink, I feel so much better and that's the way it needs to be.

Thanks for your welcome and I'll definitely stick around.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:29 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Futurehope79;6938881]Yes this is defo me! I want to do everything in my power to knock it - thank you. Day one almost complete here in the UK and I know tomorrow will be a better day.

Thanks to everyone who welcomed me. I'll be back h

How is it going Futurehope79?