Notices

college and partying

Old 06-26-2018, 08:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

college and partying

yes College can be fun , as well as the many parties there are. but the truth is it can be overwhelming for someone in recovery , I started drinking and doing drugs in my early teens , now I am a sophomore in college , and being in recovery for drugs and alcohol and had 2 relaspes on both so far, when I am about to reach 1 year in recovery in my Celebrate recovery group . it is hard to stay away from all the funs my friends in college are having . any advice ? can anyone relate?? for taking the time to read this
Old 06-26-2018, 08:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Jesusfreak...not suggesting you drop your friends. I am suggesting that you add some. Are there social groups at your college that are less party with alcohol prone? At the start of the college year, there is usually a day or week when clubs and organizations are looking for new members in an organized fair type of structure. I agree with you. You are entering some really difficult years to stay away from from alcohol and drugs. You are going to have to defend your sobriety by seeking out safe social situations that you enjoy. I encourage you to really put yourself out there and check out the various campus organizations that will work for you. Also you need to be upfront and confident in your sobriety. If your friends know your struggles and what you need to do to keep yourself safe and healthy, they will support your sobriety and not encourage you to abandon it. If they don't know what a problem drugs and alcohol have been for you, they will encourage you to join in thinking they are just helping you loosen up and have a good time. Keep the recovery going! Don't stop the program you are on because the college year begins. You need to stay the course with whatever has helped you get to a year. That is fabulous by the way. Look for an on campus AA group. That may be a good place to make some new friends.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you on recognizing your dilemma at such at early age. I can't say I can relate but when I was in college I had a fairly large group of friends etc....I distinctly remember 3 guys that within 3 months of college were hooked on alcohol and simply could not stop drinking all day every day. I was young and partying was fun, but I could see then that for these 3 guys things were wildly out of control and "wrong". Things did end well for those guys. I hope that doesn't happen to you.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome JesusFreak

I actually didn't drink that much in college - I was a mature age student and really focused on my studies.

There were a lot of people like me around, young and old. It's easy to forget that if you go round with a party hard crowd.

I had a lot of fun during my college days tho and very little of it revolved around drinking.

If you're thinking that you are an alcoholic there's really no good reason to drink,
Old 06-29-2018, 10:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanks guys this is a hard and long road for me , but I know I can do it . I barely have family and friends that believe in me and support me expect my CR family.
Old 06-29-2018, 04:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Based upon my experiences, if you can stay sober in college, you probably can stay sober anywhere.
Old 06-30-2018, 12:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Why not try a young persons AA group in your city if there is one? Meet others in yiur situation. Our young people in my nearby city meet on Friday night from 7 til 8 and then they tend to go out for food, chatting and a bit of a social. It helps when we feel that our recovery gives us the chance to be social.
From what I understand,Celebrate Recovery is based on the 12-steps anyway, so the meetings woukd make sense to you.

BB