Age affecting recovery after treatment

Old 06-26-2018, 06:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Age affecting recovery after treatment

I met with my sponsor from Alanon last night. She told me her story about her husband. He went to treatment for 30 days and was successful in recovery. I mentioned a woman I knew as well that never touched a drink after her 50 days in treatment and has been sober for a few years now. My sponsor said she felt it has to do with the age of the person. A younger person is in a different stage of their life than an older person and she feels it has a lot to do with them staying clean and sober. Just looking for other thoughts on this.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life is good

Age is often more a state of mind than a chronological number. I've known some young people who are very stuck in mental ruts and refuse to change, in recovery, in addiction and in other physical or mental disease.

I've also known young thinking and acting people of all ages, with an illness, recovery or none.

This reminds me of people I've known who've had any major life issue to deal with. Debilitating traumas that are either overcome or given into happen to people of all ages. The resiliency often comes from a deeper place that has nothing to do with age.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life is good

One gentleman I met while I was at family week at a rehab center was of an advanced age. He was newly arrived from detox, very shook up and really wanting to find a deeper recovery.

He had been sober for 25 years and was befuddled as to how he wound up back in the active grips of advanced alcoholism. Yet, here he was, asking questions, wanting help.

There were many younger addicts/alcoholics there who didn't have that kind of openness to recovering.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hmmm. You bring up a good question, OP. I've know many folks who quit drinking after "sowing their wild oats" so to speak. I don't know, but it might be tempting for a young person to get to thinking they still have a lot of time before they need to quit drinking. While an older person may become more aware of just how numbered their days really are. Just a thought.

On the other hand some older folks might be more resistant to change.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It may not be age but life experiences. Older people may have had more consequences to make them reconsider and stop. I also know a 20 something that had developing liver effects, listened to a doctor and stopped drinking. Some never stop.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

hummingbird.....I think that there are a multitude of variables.....
While there are some generalities that can be made....each person is unique....each one is an individual and, can, therefore, deviate from the general....
lol...every single person that I know is different from other people in some ways...

I believe that you son is still young....mid 20s...?

One factor with young people...beginning in adolescence....is that their peer group is enormously important to them.....and, therefore can be quite influential...
Old 06-27-2018, 01:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't think age is that relevant. I know someone with 35 years who got sober in her teens and have a sponsee who got sober at age 65. More important is how honest, open and willing the person is. With alcohol alone it is slow progression but when mixed with drugs you go down very fast.
Old 06-27-2018, 01:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know one recovered alcoholic who has been sober 16 years but hes only in his 40's now. My exah isn't sober and he's just turned 50. I don't think age is relevant.