Notices

Trying A New Program

Old 06-25-2018, 06:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying A New Program

Hey all!

So I’m trying SR out because the stuff before wasn’t working. Just fighting the shakes so pretty level headed but missed the AA I was going to hit to do so. Quick background:

Have been drinking since 15. Got rough at 20. Now I’m 27. 2 Dui’s a few years back. About 500 forced AA’s I never paid attention in. I killed it in school while on Probo though. Was on and off in college failing for 6 years. Ended up finishing with honors with 2.5 years worth of credits left in 1.5 years (not drinking). Went back out after probation because I was scared of being proud of my sobriety. Ruined many relationships (ex’s, parents, all fam, friends). 1 rehab stay. Lost my job at a nationally known company in my field due to my drinking. Kinda woke me up (after 2 weeks of blackout bender). Crushed it and got an even better job. Now after 30 days I was back to my old ways for about 2 weeks full blown, daily all day. I think my new job is taking notice. I know I’ll never have a life if I don’t quit.

Think I have depression and anxiety but also think it probably just stems from the drinking. My mind has been in an existential state so I thought I’d try this out to help with the loneliness of this game.

So yea, hitting an AA tomorrow and pumped to be here.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RollMeAway View Post
Hey all!

So I’m trying SR out because the stuff before wasn’t working. Just fighting the shakes so pretty level headed but missed the AA I was going to hit to do so. Quick background:

Have been drinking since 15. Got rough at 20. Now I’m 27. 2 Dui’s a few years back. About 500 forced AA’s I never paid attention in. I killed it in school while on Probo though. Was on and off in college failing for 6 years. Ended up finishing with honors with 2.5 years worth of credits left in 1.5 years (not drinking). Went back out after probation because I was scared of being proud of my sobriety. Ruined many relationships (ex’s, parents, all fam, friends). 1 rehab stay. Lost my job at a nationally known company in my field due to my drinking. Kinda woke me up (after 2 weeks of blackout bender). Crushed it and got an even better job. Now after 30 days I was back to my old ways for about 2 weeks full blown, daily all day. I think my new job is taking notice. I know I’ll never have a life if I don’t quit.

Think I have depression and anxiety but also think it probably just stems from the drinking. My mind has been in an existential state so I thought I’d try this out to help with the loneliness of this game.

So yea, hitting an AA tomorrow and pumped to be here.
Welcome! There are ups and downs, but when the going gets tough, and you feel like reaching for the bottle, login here instead! So many constant reminders of why you’re making a great choice and so much support - you’ve got this, RMA 🙂
Old 06-25-2018, 06:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Originally Posted by BITL View Post
Welcome! There are ups and downs, but when the going gets tough, and you feel like reaching for the bottle, login here instead! So many constant reminders of why you’re making a great choice and so much support - you’ve got this, RMA ��
BITL I get a chuckle every time I see you quote because I'm thinking, is that me? Similar names....lol

RMA - Young man I can tell you are smart and are wanting to do the right thing. You need to stay with it this time. Those years are starting to slip by and those good jobs are not a dime a dozen. I'm glad you are going back to AA tomorrow. It's the best thing that could of happened for me. Anyways proud of ya and hang in there and become the real you. I can tell you have so much potential in there if you just let out.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

All, thanks on the quick response!! I should have done this yesterday because this prob would have kept me going through today’s taper. Can’t dwell on lost time though or overthink it haha. Was kind of down about picking up for the last time today but this definitely fuels me to go tomorrow and stick with it. I’m slowly connecting a strong support network with people I know but SR is deff helping speed it up with people I don’t.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Get pumped, stay pumped! Cling to those first days of sobriety with everything you have. I dove into SR, joined the March class and posted on the 24 thread daily. Made a written wellness plan and a "triggers toolbox" for the cravings/urges. Read sober blogs and ordered books.

I'm 29 and have nearly 4 months, which is the longest since I was 18. I started AA after failing to stay sober without some real life accountability. I enjoy the meetings and am hoping the steps might possibly bring me a little peace inside. If you don't find one you like right away, try different ones. Join the international conference by young people of AA (ICYPAA) on Facebook and maybe join your state's chapter. I'm thinking of going to my state's conference this year. I'm learning I need friends who understand where I'm coming from, what I'm going through and where I want to be. And a common understanding that sobriety is always #1.

Good luck on your sober journey. Gratitude lists can definitely help. It is so encouraging that you were able to find good jobs with 2 DUI's. I have one and got turned down from 3 different hospitals during clinicals. They didn't even want me as a student. And it was 2 years in the past. Hold tight to your sobriety, work as hard at it as you did drinking, it will be worth it.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR!

Best of Luck on Your Journey!
Old 06-26-2018, 03:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

In order for many folks to remain successful
in recovery and sobriety is because they/we
incorporate a continuous recovery program
on a daily bases in all our affairs.

Continuous is the key.

Applying all that was taught to you in
rehab for your recovery program, school
for your job and life, faith for your spiritual
strength.

In doing so you have a purpose and meaning
in life now to move forward to insure a healthy,
happy, honest journey moving forward.

Continue to be teachable, listening, learning,
absorbing and applying all those recovery tools
and knowledge taught to you to build a strong,
solid foundation to live your life upon for many
one days sober ahead of you.

SR is an AWESOME extra lifeline to take
with you and use on your own journey.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome. Glad you’re here.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome- as long as you are still kickin' you have the chance to get sober and stay that way!

Glad to hear you are going to really commit to AA- I'll tell you what newcomers always hear- go to meetings, get a sponsor and work the steps.

Keep us posted!
Old 07-10-2018, 06:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This guy

Yea, I ****** it up. You guys deff helped me for the full week. Holidays are a bitch. Honestly I think I need to reach out here more than I though.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RollMeAway View Post
Yea, I ****** it up. You guys deff helped me for the full week. Holidays are a bitch. Honestly I think I need to reach out here more than I though.
Doooo it! Join the July class thread and post in it. Post in the 24 hour thread and commit to 24 hours, one day at a time. Everyday I wake up sober it still feels like a miracle, you can have that feeling too!