Notices

Do we give ourselves time?

Old 06-22-2018, 01:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do we give ourselves time?

After being made redundant, moving house and obviously facing financial issues I slipped back to my old ways of drowning my sorrows up to 2 bottles of wine a day. I’ve been sober in the past but relapsed, seems to be my coping mechanism! I’m only 5 days sober and starting to realise we aren’t going to recover overnight (a nice as that would be) after what our bodies have been through. Each day I have felt brighter, less anxious and able to put things in place I couldn’t do hung over or dazed. Day one I never thought I would survive. The shakes have subsided, sweats are only during the night but easing, anxiety lifting. I’m very guilty of googling every symptom which hightend my fear, I’m making a conscious effort to stop! What I’m trying to say is, maybe we all are too quick to think recovery is over night. Now I’m able to try to rationalise I can see a future. Of course all our bodies and consumption vary. I have found drinking gallons of water and eating loads of vitamin b foods has helped considerably. Hang in there! Thanks newbie
Old 06-22-2018, 02:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard aimee
Congrats on day 5

D
Old 06-22-2018, 03:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Aimee,

It takes years to normalize. That is why so few ever make it out totally.

There is chronic brain damage from the booze and other drugs as applicable.

Thanks.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I guess your have to define what is meant by recovered. In the AA sense it means freedom from the obsession to drink. With that crippling influence out of the way, it is possible to get on with life and begin to be what we were meant to be. There may be, for a time, some impariment of function, lingering historical issues like debts, or broken relationships that will take time to heal, but once we have recovered from the alcholism, the stage is set for progress in all other areas.

How long would it take. It took Bill W, the founder of AA about 9 days to have his life changing spiritual experience. It took me a little under 90. The event, or the realisation that big changes had occurred, came suddenly. But I guess that is the nature of miracles. It is a big advantage of the spiritual approach.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Day 5 is great.

I think recovery is a life-long process. And, I don't mean that in the sense that we will stress about alcohol forever. I mean a life-long process of living the best way we can each and every day.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Keep going! Recovery is a process. Best you.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes please keep going. I also believe I will be recovering for the rest of my life. I do not mean that in a negative way. Just learning to be a better “me” and that’s a good thing.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had to have a lot of patience, because it does take time. Time to heal our minds and bodies, time to rediscover our hopes and dreams, time to love and value ourselves again.

I felt substantially better at around 90 days, I was feeling hopeful for the future, had more confidence in my capabilities, and forgave myself for falling down so many times (relapsing).

I think the journey is so different for everyone, have patience and your miracle will come. Strive to be the best version of you, every day. The little changes will start to make a huge impact!

Old 07-03-2018, 12:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Update

Just over two weeks in! Secured new job, working hard on my thoughts and future! Relationship has improved, financial worries in order. Things that became a blur and removed from my thought process with alcohol have been rationally thought about! I have a long way to go, however my achievements are my inspiration!