Notices

Cardiologist visit

Old 06-21-2018, 05:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cardiologist visit

Well I went and talked with a cardiologist today about these irregular heartbeats. He threw me on a thirty day monitor. It's got a cell phone with it and sends data daily. The doc said if he saw anything major he would call me in.

He said what I was describing could be related to post acute withdrawal stuff but it could also be other stuff. I'll be glad to get this thirty days over with and get some good news. He seemed surprised that all my blood work came back good after I told him how long I had been drinking. He said I was lucky.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

that is good news Justin! and having the blood work come back all clear has to be a relief also.

badge
Old 06-21-2018, 05:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A little relief. I've been having some anxiety, particularly health anxiety basically since the one month mark going forward. I'm sure it'll get better with time. If anyone else out there is in doubt get to a doctor. Nothing wrong with playing it safe and not being a "tough guy." Hopefully thirty days goes quick.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

all the best Justin - hope all will go well

D
Old 06-21-2018, 07:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's great you're doing this. It will be good to know either way. After I did a holter for 1 day the Dr said it was just PACs and harmless. So I took the advice of not worrying about them. I barely notice them now and I'm sure the frequency hasn't really declined. I think this is just how it is with normal people who don't have anxiety about it. So, I hope you're able to do the same if you get a clean bill of health. It's nice to be sober and take care of ourselves isn't it?
Old 06-21-2018, 08:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It is nice to be sober. Praying that I didn't do some serious damage during my 12 year binge.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Justin,

Those monitors are really accurate. I had them call me a few times because my heart rate shot up so high while I was wearing mine. I am having an ablation done next week to deal with SVTs, and afib. If they find you have something like this, that might be something to talk to your doctor about.

Glad your blood work came back good.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Alcohol wreaks havoc on your entire body, including your ticker. That's good to hear things went well, and a very solid reminder to keep the bottle down!
Old 06-21-2018, 10:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have had to do that twice my friend. I did an echo and and stress test as well and they didnt find a single thing. Havent had a beer for 7 months and its much better. I still get the fluttering feeling here and there but its getting better.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I also had an echo and stress test done three years ago and they didn't find a thing.

The fluttering I get is PVC I think. Heart skips a beat and feels it's jumping out of your chest occasionally. Perfectly normal but if you suffer from anxiety like me it makes the symptoms worse and also you overreact to small perceived changes in your heart rate and body.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Justin,

I didn't have any heart issues (luckily) when I was checked up by the Dr, just raised liver indicators which they said would level off.
I imagine that hearing such stuff is stress in itself ?
Anyway, great news that you're doing ok & all the very best from me,
Johnnie.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm glad I'm not alone. So I did speak with the office today and they are definitely seeing some PVCs with only four days of wearing the monitor. Of course that peaked the anxiety. I'm almost to the four month sober mark and this type of news is pretty scary. Unfortunately the doc wants see more results before we do any other testing. I kind of want to get an echo and stress test done to see if there's damage or whats going on.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

you are under a cardiologist's care and they have a monitor on you.....try to take some relief from that instead of stressing too much. this is also a great chance to really work on that One Day At A Time thing.....you can't get to 30 days any faster than one 24 hr period at a time.