Notices

Motivation

Old 06-21-2018, 01:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Motivation

Hi everyone. I will be starting my journey on Monday. I have planned... and actually looking forward to it. I decided Monday because I have some major family obligations to get through. However, I decided this was the day a while back. My husband will be home, and I can go for a walk... or just maybe binge watch movies.. he is on vacation this week. I havent done anything so bad lately... but realize its time. Oh... and I totally know its time. I fell a couple weeks ago, major scrape on my forehead.. and definitely a concussion and that is totally not the first. My BFF shared that her grandmother died of alcohol... and we always thought liver, organ failure, heart... when she grew up... she learned, her grandmother was drunk and fell down the stairs. Today, I learned she was 40 when this happened. I am 41, and that scared the crap out of me. I am looking forward to posting more. But watched a movie recently, The Greatest Showman, and for what they saw as outcasts... this resonated with me soo deeply. I guess sometime we can feel like outcasts... and this made me proud.
Apparently, I cant post the link .... but Its the song from The Greatest Showman... called This Is Me.......
Old 06-21-2018, 01:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome!

I will say there is no better time than the present but do what you must.

I have a friend who died at 36, he fell down the stairs as well, he broke his neck. He left behind an 8-year-old daughter. Very sad.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Congrats on acknowledging that you have a problem. That's the first step IMO. I recently found out two men in my AA meetings who are dying from drinking. One has four months to a year because of pancreatic cancer stage 4. The other man I met at a different location is waiting on a liver transplant. Alcohol is our enemy and it takes no prisoners. I'm glad you saw the light and I pray that you can stay the course. You are going to feel sooooooooo much better!
Old 06-21-2018, 01:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Oh I forgot to mention one of my ex brother in laws fell in his shower . He was drunk and the fall broke his neck. He lived for a few years after that however he died from depression. Recently another friend I use to play golf with also fell in the bathroom after drinking too much and was in intensive care for two weeks from brain swelling. I am so lucky I haven't suffered the same fate. I remember several times being so out of it while showering. It's scary stuff.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nice work, sounds like you know what to do. 41 here - it's never too late, looking foward to the rest of my life sober.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and I also suggest starting right now. There is always, always a reason to put off stopping drinking and there is never a perfect time. I do hope you decide to visit SR regularly and get lots of support from us.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

One of mymformer high school students died in her first month of college falling down the stairs drunk. One of the saddest stories I have heard. It is NOT a crazy fear. It is a harsh reality. BUT the good news...you are safe if your sober and you get to pick sober. Daisy I am glad you are here. I chose my husband's return from out of town to be my quit day too. I hid my drinking from him so I knew it would be tricky to convince myself to quit while the cat was away. Keep yourself safe until Monday. Lots of supportive people here to help you through this.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am committed to this. I will not do anything crazy cause my family will be around all weekend. They are all sober. I committed to Monday because my husband will be home..... and I have told him the whole story, and that I need to avoid the triggers. Within the last week, I have admitted soo much, I told my 2 best friends, and some family members, and my husband about this commitment. I know its day1 coming... and its scary, but i have actually said it... and cried when I actually admitted it... I have spent the week since my decision preparing.... I have told those close to me... and admitted it.... and cried on the phone with them. I have a family of alcoholics... and I was always the helper. Or maybe their enabler. To find myself in this position, is sincerely surrendering. But.. how many sheep do you need to watch walk of a cliff... until you see that maybe that is not the best route. I have a therapist, and have an appt. set for late night on Monday.. knowing I will be uncomfortable... and knowing it will only get a bit a worse.... I know most people say preparing will keep you in it.. but I want this sooo bad... and I knew I had to set up mental steps to accomplish it. With my husband home.. I can just go up and binge watch tv... and know that my DD is ok... I can go to therapy.. I am going to go food shopping for all my goodies.... which includes many pickles... and olives... Wonder if the salt craving will change when I stop? lol....... and I know that many dont make a plan..... But seems to be my plan..... and seems logical.. my kiddo will be cared for... I will have time to just be me... and be able to escape stress. I totally will be posting here. All your words and stories have helped immeasurably.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It is so awesome that you have involved your family as a support team! It sounds like you are really committed. Keep checking in here. There is so much support. Good luck with day one. You sound ready to get this going and start feeling better. After the withdrawals I promise it really does feel better to be sober. You won't know how much alcohol has been dragging you down until you kick it!
Old 06-21-2018, 09:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I really hope.....
Old 06-22-2018, 08:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I hope you put "will" in the place of "hope"....I was 39 1/2 when my new liver dr (sent straight there from my GP's after yet another totally alcohol related injury)....and somehow, someway, some-something I HEARD him when he said I had a year, 18 mo to live if I didn't quit.

I didn't want to die at 40. Now, I have 28 mo and 1 day sober and will celebrate my 3rd sober bday this Aug, at 42.

Best thing I ever did was choose life.

You can too.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
I hope you put "will" in the place of "hope"....I was 39 1/2 when my new liver dr (sent straight there from my GP's after yet another totally alcohol related injury)....and somehow, someway, some-something I HEARD him when he said I had a year, 18 mo to live if I didn't quit.

I didn't want to die at 40. Now, I have 28 mo and 1 day sober and will celebrate my 3rd sober bday this Aug, at 42.

Best thing I ever did was choose life.

You can too.
very inspiring post August, thank you.

Badge
Old 06-22-2018, 08:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congratulations on coming to the decision that you want to quit drinking alcohol. I agree with others that because you have made this decision, the best thing is to start immediately. It is a choice to not pick up a drink and the choice can be made immediately. I only ever picked up a drink because I 'thought' I had to, not because I actually had to. Having said that, if you feel it's right for you to stop on Monday, then I wish you every success!
The full commitment begins when you stop drinking.

best of luck and stick close to the forums!