Notices

Advice for the dark moments

Old 06-19-2018, 12:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice for the dark moments

3:30 am here. Haven't slept much in days. I had 3 beers last night to calm my nerves and managed a 30 min nap but now wide awake with anxiety. I have had a feeling of impending doom constantly with me for days. My mind just won't stop racing. Part of detoxing, I know, but just feel so fearful about everything.

How did you get through these miserable days and nights? I am going crazy with this anxiety.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Sorry you are struggling, Wastinglife.

What really helped me in early sobriety and still helps with other life issues is not confusing temporary state induced by influence of substance and brain chemicals with the real "doomness".

Alcohol in itself is primary cause of anxiety. So your mind gives you blown out of any reasonable proportion picture of catastrophic events looming on the horizon and chasing you till the end of your days. This image is so scary that you turn to anything to get a relief. This anything is alcohol in your case.

So you don't look far away in the future. You look at the next minute, and then then next one. And, take my word you will survive.

And tomorrow when you wake up, the reality will be quite different. "My, was I really going to believe that?"

As far as you keep medicating with alcohol you will keep yourself in this vicious hell of scary non-realistic projections which feel darn real.

Go through initial discomfort and never look back.

And make a plan! Because when you start feeling better there will be that voice saying: "Ah, it wasn't that bad after all".

Yes, it is that bad and even worse.

Put a drink down, get some sleep, take care of yourself.

Best wishes.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It took several weeks for me to sleep well. But, alcohol does increase “rest” waves, so you’re truly not sleeping. I know for me the fatigue created worsening effects of anxiety. I don’t believe one can truly detox whilst still drinking...gotta cut it out man. It’s not doing you any favors with it all. Have you tried melatonin?
Old 06-19-2018, 03:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
How did you get through these miserable days and nights?
That's the $64,000 question. It's also why I found giving up alcohol was so difficult. I would drink until I felt horrible. Then I'd give it up and 2 days later I'd feel even worse. My brain would be screaming Drink you idiot! You're killing us!

People here at SR, people who had been through what I was going through, told me if I just held on and put in the work things would get better.

They were right.

You will have some hard days ahead.
That's OK. You can do hard things.

Best of Luck on Your Journey.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
J50

Fight through it, no matter how bad you feel, and commit to stop drinking. In time, everything will pass. Go for a walk, watch inspiring YouTube videos, or anything that keeps your mind busy. I'm 7+ months in and the first 60 days sucked. Insomnia, panic attacks, fears about my health... Today, I feel much better. Sleep can be hit or miss, but I've lost a lot of weight and I feel mentally sharp. Your body needs to recalibrate. Give it time, and you will reap the rewards!
Old 06-19-2018, 05:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wastinglife, those first few days are hard because you are still dealing with the physical addiction portion. My body was really messed up and it took a couple weeks to feel "normal" again. The insomnia and night sweats are real.

Hang in there. Drink some gatorade. if you can't sleep, try to take melatonin or listen to a guided meditation. Your body needs time.

Just focus on today. Today, you won't drink. Maybe even this hour, or this minute you won't drink. Just focus on what's ahead of you right NOW.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hang in there. I’ve relapsed and detoxed many times. The anxiety and feeling of impending doom is horrible. You know it’s not true, but you can’t stop feeling that way. Stay strong and true. It will dissipate. Keep telling yourself that. Everything will be ok. It really will.