Notices

I think I am Bipolar......

Old 06-18-2018, 12:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well probably not. Just early recovery (again). Yesterday was horrible. Today, after a good convo with the Mrs. last night, is much better. Just feeling better generally. Feeling optimistic a little. Meeting with my sponsor, and going to a meeting.

Had a good weight workout. Will do cardio tonight. In any event, I know tomorrow I’ll be wailing like a little 👶 🍼. But i’ll enjoy Today.

Honestly, posting here has really helped. Thanks for the support y’all. And at times for the tough love.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

early recovery is a roller coaster of emotions/feelings. strap in tight knowing that eventually the highs and lows will get closer together
Old 06-18-2018, 01:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Horn.
I used to pull at my shirt, blouse, sweatshirt, whatever early on in sobriety, like I was wanting to get out of my own skin. It's funny now; wasn't funny then. I'd laugh hysterically one minute, cry the next, be angry the next, and on and on and on. It took me a long, long time to be able to sit through a mean in a restaurant. I'd just get overcome with fear and have to leave and go outside. I remember having the same thoughts, surely there's something more wrong with me than just being an alcoholic. I guess I was lucky or unlucky that I got sober where there was a clubhouse and I go in and sit and talk with other alcoholics when it all got too overwhelming. It helped just to be around other alcoholics who didn't stare at me when I was going through those mood swings. I'd say something and they'd just laugh and say they had done the same thing or thought the same thing so that I didn't feel like such of a freak. Hang in there. The longer you go one day at a time without a drink the highs and lows won't come as often and they won't last as long. Good to hear you sounding more hopeful. As you can tell, I'm all about meetings and sponsorship. Those were absolutely the keys for me.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Horn, you will get through this. Breathe, relax. Take deep breaths. You are on a new journey and it feels different, like you just got let out of a box and the fresh air is frightening. Go back into your garage and organize your work bench. Haha. But seriously, take your mind off the big things and control what you can control . Even if you are not into garage environment, it will be your space to claim. A metaphor? maybe. But we so want you to find your way in your sober recovery. Im on the sidelines rooting you on! Focus, man!
Old 06-18-2018, 07:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ladysadie View Post
Horn, you will get through this. Breathe, relax. Take deep breaths. You are on a new journey and it feels different, like you just got let out of a box and the fresh air is frightening. Go back into your garage and organize your work bench. Haha. But seriously, take your mind off the big things and control what you can control . Even if you are not into garage environment, it will be your space to claim. A metaphor? maybe. But we so want you to find your way in your sober recovery. Im on the sidelines rooting you on! Focus, man!
No garage stuff or work benches. But I spend a lot of time in the gym 😉

Thanks for the support.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I'm no shrink, but I think wandering down grocery store aisles cursing at the shelf stock is probably more like schizophrenia.

I've seen a few people here post that they did not experience wild mood swings during the first few months sober, but I am not sure I believe them. I sure did.

You can do this!
Old 06-19-2018, 06:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
I'm no shrink, but I think wandering down grocery store aisles cursing at the shelf stock is probably more like schizophrenia.

Right?
Old 06-19-2018, 07:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It always bugs me when people throw out terms like they must be bipolar or "such an alcoholic" or anything that is a disease (mind or body, in this case addiction).

I'd sure agree that ups and downs are common in early sobriety- but seeing a dr is better than self-dx for me. Even in jest. Bc these things are super un-funny to those of us struggling with the real deal.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
It always bugs me when people throw out terms like they must be bipolar or "such an alcoholic" or anything that is a disease (mind or body, in this case addiction).

I'd sure agree that ups and downs are common in early sobriety- but seeing a dr is better than self-dx for me. Even in jest. Bc these things are super un-funny to those of us struggling with the real deal.
I apologize, I should have been more sensitive. You are absolutely correct.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

August, I think Horn is struggling. He's here for support.

I offer you Horn my support as some days I question my own self. I question many things I have done or failed to do. Some days I can barely manage and it's difficult to know where to turn for help and support. Hang in there Horn! I can totally relate.