Notices

For people newly sober

Old 06-18-2018, 08:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

For people newly sober

I never know if saying encouraging things on forums is as helpful as I hope it is, but it can’t hurt right?

I’ll be sober for 6 months at the end of this month. I’ve had my hard days and moments and I still get annoyed sometimes when I realize I have committed to a life of sobriety so I know even now it’s not all easy but it’s a heck of a lot easier fighting that voice now than living with the anxiety and stress that alcohol brought!

I have a few events coming up, not that I worry I’ll drink but because telling people you don’t drink anymore can be so daunting. Especially when it’s to people who you have partied hard with. Besides I wouldn’t drink at those events because at this point nothin is worth the life I was sacrificing.

If you’re feeling Down or in despair don’t give up!! You’ll be as excited about your morning coffee or evening ice cream as you were about the feeling alcohol can give you.

Wishing everyone happiness and strength!!
Old 06-18-2018, 08:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Lovely words
Old 06-18-2018, 08:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Newbe

Only 19 days sober here,its nice to hear someone who has walked the steps iam trying to walk, day bye day to do ,thanks
Old 06-18-2018, 09:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Funny, I read this post because I consider myself "newly sober" (I just hit 6 months today!) It is actually becoming easier for me to live without alcohol on a daily basis, but sometimes it's difficult for me to recall just how miserable it really was...and it was BAD.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on 6 months.

Honestly I still feel “newly sober” after 16 months. It’s just getting to the point where I feel normal and clear headed with confidence that I have this. At the same time I know I still need my guard up. It’ll be something I work on for a long time I suspect.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the words of encouragement!! Jeez, 6 months...... I haven’t gone six months, really, I don’t think i’ve Ever gone that long since I was in the Marine Corps — 30 years ago. Wow, when you say it like that, yuck.

Anyway, I will be hitting 6 months in about 5 months 3 weeks!
Old 06-18-2018, 12:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Readygo and well done on six months.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks, this is good to hear. I’m 5 weeks sober after 35 years drinking, pretty much daily drinking for the last 30 years ... and some days are much harder than others. My mood swings are really challenging... I’m hoping that the longer I’m sober the easier it will be. I’m finding other rewards like a really good barista coffee, sweet juicy berries, fruit smoothies, sparkling grape juice, a long soak in a hot bath, a good book, a yoga class, a trip to the hairdresser (instead of cutting and colouring my own to save money for drinking...) etc. one day at a time
Old 06-18-2018, 05:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the encouraging words. I'm on day 50 and sometimes I've been questioning my choice to get sober. Like, do I really have to be sober for the rest of my life?

Some days have been good. I network with people, I stay after the meetings, I go out with them afterwards. I meet with my sponsor and am starting to do the work.

Other days I feel pretty down and wish I could have a drink, or something to numb the pain. But I know where that road will lead me. I'm grateful to have chosen sobriety, as baffling and scary as it is.

One day at a time. Today, I didn't drink. That's all I have to worry about for now.

Hang in there everyone.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Originally Posted by Readygo View Post

If you’re feeling Down or in despair don’t give up!! You’ll be as excited about your morning coffee or evening ice cream as you were about the feeling alcohol can give you.

Wishing everyone happiness and strength!!
Thanks for the encouraging words and you do what you need to do with your friends. I told mine that I no longer drink and feel a big weight off my chest. The cool thing is my good true friends are still with me and enjoy my sober arse.

I use to love a cold beer or three when I came home from golf. Now I enjoy a cold protein shake mixed with blue berries, strawberries, nuts, and cool whip!
Old 06-19-2018, 05:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for sharing this readygo

D
Old 06-19-2018, 08:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you very much! Always lovely to be encouraged.