Notices

All I want is a drink

Old 06-16-2018, 12:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

All I want is a drink

I've been alcohol free for 5 days and all I can think about is having a glass of wine. I honestly don't think I'm going to be able to stick to it but I'm really going to try.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You need to get the thought out of your head. The more you think about it, the more your brain will try to justify why you should drink. Don’t give up on yourself that easily. Day 5 will consist of urges, as you are still detoxing and your body has been trained to operate on booze.

We all have been there...and we have made it. You can too.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

5 days of sobriety is terrific and I hope you don't throw it away. Can you do something that will distract you, even for a few moments? Can you get outside and go for a walk, visit a friend, have a coffee - anything that will help you to get past this moment.

We do understand how hard this is!
Old 06-16-2018, 12:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Kansas
We have all been there. As others have said, you cannot just stop thinking about it. You need to get busy. First...make sure you are not hungry or thirsty. Those states of deprivation amplify our desire to drink. Second, go do something outside the norm. I know I have habitual places I like to drink. Don't sit or go there. Go to the movies, shopping, driving range, bowling, walk, hike...I don't know. ANYTHING just slightly out of the norm. You have to fill up your brain space with other stuff right now.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you guys. I'm going to take your advice and go for a walk.
Question what are your thoughts on the alcohol free beers and wine?
Old 06-16-2018, 01:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don’t do go there. Honestly....I wouldn’t go there if I were you. You’re in a very early stage of sobriety and you’re craving booze. Just my opinion..
Old 06-16-2018, 01:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheSoberDude View Post
I don’t do go there. Honestly....I wouldn’t go there if I were you. You’re in a very early stage of sobriety and you’re craving booze. Just my opinion..
Thanks you are right.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't like beer to begin with. Non alcoholic wine tastes really bad. My husband used to have the non alc beer early in his quit to feel more comfortable in social situations or like he too was drinking something special. At home, he never drank them. In my opinion, you are better to try non alcoholic beverages that taste great. I know I miss wine and in my last quit it took a long time to get over that, but it was helpful to explore lots of different non alcoholic drinks I had never tried. Try green and white teas, iced teas, soda varieties...etc. I did not worry about calories in beverages at first either...since alcoholic beverages had them, I thought I could let myself get over the hump with milkshakes and fun stuff like that too! After some time, soda with lime and diet beverages became my go to drink.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Don't drink!! It gets better the longer you stay sober. Hang in there. You won't feel like this forever.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kansas785 View Post
theyre for people that dont have a problem with alcohol.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Kansas - As least said, we promise it won't feel like this forever. Otherwise we'd never have made it. These early days are rough - but it will ease up. Your anxiety will lessen. I'm glad you posted - it helps to know you're not alone.

Congrats on your 5 sober days. That's wonderful.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by Kansas785 View Post
imo, they just intensify cravings. They entice you with the smell & look & ritual of drinking. I had to put all that well away from me to get sober.

Also just imo, if you can make it 4 days, you can make it as long as you wanted. The addiction is on the floor instead of on top of you, & all you have to do is keep kicking it.

Have a great day!
Old 06-16-2018, 01:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hang in there. Cravings do pass. Google urge surfing. Keep your mind busy. That helps. Five days is so good. Keep going forward.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ride it out. The early days are the hardest. If you drink now you'll only delay the inevitable. Having a drink isn't the answer. It's poison.

Your body wants alcohol because for a long time the body has gotten used to it being there. Your chemical balance has since been thrown around without the alcohol and your body is adjusting.

Give it time and ride out the storm. It does get easier in time.

Day 1 is the hardest. You've done 4. You're already there
Old 06-16-2018, 01:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Trudgin

If all I wanted was A Drink, I wouldn’t be posting here today. Not long ago the thought of a margarita popped into my head. Gee, a margarita or two might be nice. My mind drifted into the next thought - what then ? A six pack of beer would top that off just fine. No wait / vodka.

And there it was - just that quick.

I don’t have a problem until I take that first drink. Thankfully my rememberer is better these daze. Alcoholics have bad remembers.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Day 5 is fantastic!! Thats 120 hours, 7,200 minutes, 432,000 seconds that you have been sober!! Keep up the awesome work!! You've got this.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you thought about joining the Class of June support thread Kansas?

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...rt-1-a-18.html