Notices

Struggling

Old 06-13-2018, 06:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Struggling

A little over 5 month sober and i am really struggeling latley. With stress and anxity from elderly parents medical problems to our own finatial troubles. and husbands medical problems. I feel helpless and ready to give up. I despertly need to go to a meeti g, but its diffficult without support from my own family
Old 06-13-2018, 06:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

5 months is a long time for an alcoholic. When you feel overwhelmed, stop, and do some self reflection. Why did you initially stop drinking? What has worked to keep you off the bottle? Sometimes we need to slow down when we feel overwhelmed. I have one or two instances of this occurring. I stopped, reflected, and though, “what am I thinking?” I can’t drink...I have worked way too hard to get to this point to just give up!

Go to a meeting...talk with people who have been past support systems. Don’t give up..you got this!
Old 06-13-2018, 06:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Five months sober is wonderful! I hope you can find a way to get to a meeting.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's a lot on your plate right now. You know alcohol is not going to fix it, just make it harder to deal with tomorrow. The AV is a powerful thing trying to trick you into believing there is a quick answer to all this. Giving into it is just going to add another overwhelming thing to manage. Do you have a sponsor? Time to call. IF not, a meeting, whether you are an AA follower or not, you are welcome there. I don't follow the program but have attended alanon and aa meetings when I felt I needed them. Strength in numbers and a time out from the stressful situation is what you need.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Bugg, how did everything go?
Old 06-13-2018, 07:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

bugg,

I ate when I craved. I filled up.

It has take a long time, but now life totally clean is feeling mostly normal.

Obviously, when I was a few months clean, life sober felt mostly abnormal.

Eventually, the good won for me....so far.

I don't go to meetings. I know it is brain damage and that damage heals, but it takes years.

Drinking resets it...so they tell me. Rx drugs ease the pain, but they are another addiction and slowly stop working...so they tell me.

I just suffer when I hurt and then it gets better.

Thanks.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am sorry Bugg...I posted above quickly. I see you said you needed to go to a meeting. I hope you found a way. Family/friend support is important.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

'life' just sucks at times,but drinking at the issues changes nothing. The same problems will still be there when you're sober. I know the 'escape' drinking/drugging seems to give us,but..My 'partying' has never solved any of my problems. They were either prolonged or amplified. The best thing you can do during tough times, is have a sober/clear mind when dealing with them.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You can do it Bugg! 5 months is awesome! Don't let the AV sneak in, it is hard to get through this without support from family, but you are not alone in that, so many of us here are rowing the same boat with you. Keep posting, keep fighting!

Badge
Old 06-14-2018, 04:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Tough stuff Bugg. But, as you know, it is only tougher when you drink. Stay strong and check in with us.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Maybe a look at the AA circle triangle will help you decide what you need to do. Are you in all three sides - unity which is the fellowship, do you participate in a home group? It is not necessary to be at a meeting every five minutes but we need to be a part of things at least on a weekly basis even in your circumstances.
Recovery - that’s the program. Have you taken the steps with a sponsor. Done your inventories, Made your amends? Do you live in steps 10 and 11?
Then there is service - that has to do with our primary purpose of carrying the message to the alcoholic who still suffers. Do you actively work with newcomers?

If you can tick all three sides, you will stay sober. I know this from experience, and we get told it up front in Bills story. Ebby tells Bill that there will be low spots ahead which we won’t survive unless we get busy. Faith without works is dead, hea said.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hang in there. Remember alcohol makes everything worse.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Hey Bugg, how is it going?
Old 06-17-2018, 04:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Rar

Thinking of you Bugg - how are you doing?
Old 06-18-2018, 03:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bugg View Post
A little over 5 month sober and i am really struggeling latley. With stress and anxity from elderly parents medical problems to our own finatial troubles. and husbands medical problems. I feel helpless and ready to give up. I despertly need to go to a meeti g, but its diffficult without support from my own family
Hi Bugg
You are not alone on any of the above.

I also have 5 + months sobriety.

You have come to far to quit we must stay strong and move forward. Forward is where the answers are not backwards to where we were 5 months ago.

Try not to bundle every issue together for together they seem impossible but separated each issue is achievable.

Never give up!
My family have not kept the alcohol from my mouth nor do they sort my life out. I do it just the same as you are doing this. Be proud of yourself you are doing amazingly well.

Some people can not get out of the ditch,but you, you are climbing the mountain!
You are awesome well done 👏👏👏👏
Old 06-25-2018, 08:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

still hanging in there

I'm still hanging in there, but i cant say i haven't been entertaining the thoughts of drinking. The thoughts have been very strong. I still haven't made it to a meeting. hopefully i can get back sometime
Old 06-25-2018, 09:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Bugg. Sorry to hear of your troubles and that you don't have very good support from your family.

Maybe you're like some of us and we were always regarded as the 'strong one' in the family....so reaching out can be hard and when we do if it doesn't "fit" with their "idea" of how we should be they just don't get it.

*sigh*

So, anyways....well....sometimes it's better to get support from a complete stranger anyways....sort of like having a good heart to heart talk with a stranger on the plane....
Old 06-25-2018, 09:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

5 months is a long time, for me at five months it was still really all I could do not to drink! Just keep hanging in there, it starts to ease soon. Alcohol certainly wont help deal with the stressful situations.