Notices

Seven years ago I registered here

Old 06-13-2018, 06:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Seven years ago I registered here

I'm happy to say that I am still sober. Not to give the illusion that I have been sober every single day of these 7 years. I had a few slip ups. Still, I can say that in the last four years I only got drunk once and prior three I spent rediscovering myself, understanding sobriety and simply growing up. After all, seven years is a long time. I am much closer to forty now. When I decided to quit I was just waking up from my late twenties. Regretfully I spent a decade drunk and instead of building a foundation for healthy life and longevity I slowly poisoned my body and mind.

I am very grateful for snapping out of it when I did. Doesn't mean it's been a beautiful life every day. There are plenty of hardships and the best thing is to cut the damned liquor out of your life. The sooner the better. Just thinking of how quickly one drink can ruin me is a bit scary. Funny enough it's these kinds of thoughts that used to drive me to drink. I had to prove to myself that I could do it. Of course I could. But in the end, I simply drank.

For me exercise was insrtumental in recovery. Even ten minutes of doing something, anything except laying around, wallowing in misery. I go for walks now. Sadly my knee isn't so good anymore. I used to love going for a quick run. Probably the easiest and quickest way to lift up the spirits. Meditation helped to get a look inward and become more honest. But I don't do it often enough. Still out of anything else these two dead simple things like walking are a must. I enjoy walking in the rain. But not too much.

I got married ... I was drinking that day. Thankfully I didn't make a fool out of myself and everything was lovely. I did drink for another two days, and then I cried for three. But she tollerates me and I am blessed. I don't know what I've done to deserve this love. But perhaps the struggle with addictions simply shines through as love. You can't "turn it off", you can't wish it away or drink it away. It's always there. You just have to be open to receive it.
I'm still learning. It feels like a different lifetime, perhaps I understand this thing on a different level, I have had many battles. I suffered and others suffered with me. I don't ever want to repeat the same mistakes, but they are never the same. Each day is an opportunity. I will try to be grateful for what I have. For the everlasting love. And I won't be afraid to experience it. Living sober means living today. Not hiding from the past or running for cover from tomorrow. This moment right now, there's plenty of good and plenty of love and I'm going to stay here just like that...
Old 06-13-2018, 06:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back!
Old 06-13-2018, 06:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad for the update serious - good to know you're doing well

D
Old 06-14-2018, 01:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's awesome!
Old 06-14-2018, 03:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations, this is awe inspiring to read.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Serious,

Sounds like you have adjusted normally to me.

I always look in the mirror and remind myself that I am an addict for life.

This site taught me that no matter how many years pass there is not a single person that is glad they started drinking again.

Drinkng was a bad habit I have unlearned.

Thanks.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great stuff. Thank you for sharing.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations. Thanks for sharing! Gives me hope.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Karate girl

Very inspiring! So happy you are doing well