Notices

New - but ready

Old 06-13-2018, 03:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New - but ready

I just discovered SR about 30 mins ago and have been exploring the site. This is my first post. My first commitment. I drank last night and woke up feeling all the shame, guilt, and desire to quit that I feel after every night of drinking. I want to be done. I just need “morning me” to remind “evening me” how much I want to quit. I am hoping a support group will help “Morning me” to become just ME. All the time - me.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This is SO me! Morning me is amazing and motivated and ready to change and excited about all the things that come with it but I swear on my life, evening me feels like an entirely different person who doesn’t even know morning me. It’s so hard but I know I will be happier sober, and never having to wake up feeling ashamed and guilty would be so amazing. It’s up to us, and there is a lot of amazing support here. We can do it!
Old 06-13-2018, 04:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome! Lots of wisdom and support here. You'll be just "you" very soon
Old 06-13-2018, 04:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR👋. Reading and posting on here has been really helpful for my recovery. Lean on us for support when the craving’s strike. Best of luck!
Old 06-13-2018, 05:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jeycey View Post
This is SO me! Morning me is amazing and motivated and ready to change and excited about all the things that come with it but I swear on my life, evening me feels like an entirely different person who doesn’t even know morning me. It’s so hard but I know I will be happier sober, and never having to wake up feeling ashamed and guilty would be so amazing. It’s up to us, and there is a lot of amazing support here. We can do it!
YES. That’s exactly it. It’s literally like being two different people. I have such a hard time describing it to others but it’s awesome to have you just totally get it! Thanks for the response. It’s morning for me right now (7 am) so I’m going to make a concerted effort to keep this mentality into the evening.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ProfessorD View Post
Welcome! Lots of wisdom and support here. You'll be just "you" very soon
Thank you so much! I can’t wait! I’ve gotten to the point that I’m not for sure if there is anything good left under the alcohol... but I need to find out before I allow myself to believe there’s nothing left. And the only way to find out is to stop drinking and uncover whatever “me” is in there.
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad to have you with us ANewDawn

D
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stronger2017 View Post
Welcome to SR👋. Reading and posting on here has been really helpful for my recovery. Lean on us for support when the craving’s strike. Best of luck!
Thank you! So happy to be here.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Glad to have you with us ANewDawn

D
Thank you! I’m an odd combination of excited, fearful, elated, nervous, nostalgic, cautiously optimistic, and wary.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi welcome. I'm new here too, I joined last week. I totally, totally know what you mean. I have even thrown drink Down the drain in the morning with the intention of never drinking again, then find myself going to the shops in total panic in the evening. All memories of how I felt in the morning gone. I posted on here last week but only managed one day sober. I felt really ill Monday morning and I have not forgotten how it felt, so I'm two days sober and hoping for another sober day today.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome. Glad you’re here.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

For sure. I've done the exact same thing! And I feel so foolish when it happens. It's great to have people that understand.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gillygem View Post
Hi welcome. I'm new here too, I joined last week. I totally, totally know what you mean. I have even thrown drink Down the drain in the morning with the intention of never drinking again, then find myself going to the shops in total panic in the evening. All memories of how I felt in the morning gone. I posted on here last week but only managed one day sober. I felt really ill Monday morning and I have not forgotten how it felt, so I'm two days sober and hoping for another sober day today.
I have done this so. many. times. I feel so foolish when it happens but it's nice to know I'm not the only one!
Old 06-13-2018, 07:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Thank you! I've only been on this site a few hours and I already feel more supported than I dreamed possible!
Old 06-13-2018, 07:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We're so happy to have you with us, ANewDawn. Congratulations on your decision to change your life for the better.

I drank 30 yrs. & was completely dependent on it. I had no one to talk to about my situation - all my friends & family were social drinkers. Being here, where people truly understood, gave me the courage to let go of alcohol. I instantly felt less anxious & fearful when I began posting. You can do it!