365 days for JJ

Old 06-12-2018, 03:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

365 days for JJ

Hello my dear and wonderful SR family! I just wanted to send a quick update. JJ has one year clean and sober as of 6/13. He has been working in the recovery field since November of last year when he "graduated" from the Freedom Ranch (3rd timer!). He has been working for a rehab as a "behavioral health technician", which basically means an adult role model/assistant.

His job is to drive his newly sober patients to meetings, work out, go to the beach and more stuff like that. He just informed me he got a promotion to Lead Behavioral tech and will be getting another raise in 2 more months.

For those of you who know our back story, my oh my what a difference this is from my "normal" stories! I encourage all of you who are living through addiction, that there is HOPE. My son has been to double digit rehabs, lived anywhere he could (even homeless for a time), has been in jail 3 times, and has missed out on so many things in life. BUT, when he chose to change, that is when things started to change. I am so very proud and blessed to watch him rise from the ashes, and his relationships with his family and friends are as they should be. Equal and harmonious. Thank you all for the love and support to each other, I couldn't have made it through a few of my past years without you all.
Hugs,
TT
Old 06-12-2018, 04:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

How wonderful!! Congratulations to JJ, and ((((HUGS)))) for mama!
Old 06-12-2018, 04:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Suki! One day at a time every day!
Old 06-13-2018, 03:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So positive!

I smiled from ear to ear when reading your thread starter - I am happy for JJ, you and your family.

I know it's been tough for us mamas over the years and very much appreciate what you've shared. Peace, my friend.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13
Old 06-13-2018, 04:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

BUT, when he chose to change, that is when things started to change.
And isn't that the key! How blessed he is to be living the change today.

I am so happy for JJ and as a mama I know how relieved and happy this makes you and I send you hugs from my heart to yours.

Old 06-13-2018, 06:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Fantastic news!!! So happy to hear JJ continues to do well. What a difference a year does make, for both of you!

You did you, he did him and look where you both are today!!!
Old 06-13-2018, 06:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am so very happy to hear this!!! Congratulations to you, and to JJ!
Old 06-13-2018, 01:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

TT, that is fantastic and I'm so happy for you and JJ! He's doing great and so are you. Hugs!
Old 06-18-2018, 02:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This is nice to see. Good for him.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations to JJ!
Old 06-24-2018, 04:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was smiling so big, reading your post. Congratulations to JJ & to you.
Old 06-24-2018, 05:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am so happy for you and for JJ! Such good news gives hope to others, too.
Old 12-26-2018, 01:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Update for my SR family

Hello beloved SR family! I wanted to give an update after having a miracle moment with JJ on Christmas. He has continued in his sobriety and excelled at his job, and now manages a rehab in the beautiful community of La Jolla. He has been saving money and has accumulated over $4,200 in the bank that is in my name (he needs to take care of some stuff in order to get his own account, so baby steps).

He was very generous this year and bought all of us and his girlfriend some lovely thoughtful gifts and then gave us the best gift I could ever ask for.

When JJ stole from us back in 2011 and 2012, there were restitution orders over $12,000 of the jewelry, cash and other things that he pawned and we could not recover as a result of his thefts. They have never been paid and for the last 7 years, My husband and I have put this on the back burner. It felt like the losses would never be recouped and since JJ started really taking sobriety seriously, I really forgot about this as an item of importance.

JJ let his Dad and I know he is financially able to start to repay us, and will be starting a repayment of $250.00 to $400.00 per month in January to the courts that will then come to us. He has spoken to their office and arranged this plan and "activated" his account again.

The huge significance here is that I am seeing his recovery in action. He is taking all steps of restoration and both my husband and I were so proud of him. At the same time, I didn't once think to say "don't worry about repaying us". The reason is, he NEEDS to do this as part of his recovery. He is making amends and it feels so perfect to allow him to do so without guilt or pressure, I simply hugged him and indicated how good things lead to better things.

We have been so blessed with JJ back in our lives, my husband, my son and my daughter have their JJ back. I feel so incredibly fortunate to be able to appreciate seeing the huge difference sobriety has made for my son. I know God has worked miracles of healing, freedom, restoration and grace on our family.

To all who are dealing with addicted loved ones, always keep the hope alive. They can recover and they can restore themselves if we just love them and support them while they are working their sobriety, and love them from a distance when they are not.

PS: This money is a huge blessing because we have sent out daughter to Arizona for nursing school and the cost of the condo can be offset by JJ's contributions!

Happy New year to one and all.
Hugs,
Teresa
Old 12-26-2018, 05:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

So awesome. So happy for you and him!
Old 12-27-2018, 03:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Keep up the good work, JJ.

My son has been on a safe and very committed path for some time as well and he has also been making amends.

His father and I spent time with him and his girl recently in their new place; I truly cherish that time spent together that included them serving a wonderful meal, positive vibes, with father and son finally treating each other with respect.

Seeing our adult children continue to move on in recovery, including being blessed with the gift of better health as well as truly and tangibly being accountable, is the best Christmas gift ever.

Wishes for peace and happiness for you and yours.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I am tickled for you and for JJ. This is a good move and I am so glad you went forward with it. Using the money today to help your daughter in school is an excellent way to spend it.

And congratulations to JJ on the new job. It will help him heal and help others fine a better path. Good for him.

My best wishes for a healthy, happy 2019 for all of you.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm happy for you, but even more for JJ that he's doing so well!
Old 01-21-2019, 12:48 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

That's great news!