ACoA - Epiphany

Old 06-11-2018, 02:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

ACoA - Epiphany

Hello friends!

I am an ACoA. The primary alcoholics in my family have been sober for over 30 years. So, this means that their alcoholism doesn't/didn't affect me... right? I joke.

Last week, I was in Tulsa, OK with my mom and step-dad. I needed mommy time (I am a 48 year old momma's girl). I have recently gone through a VERY ugly time in my life and needed my mommy. Although my step-father has been in recovery for over 30 years, he still attends at least two AA meetings per week, and my mom recently started going to Al-Anon again (after a long hiatus). Last year, I was visiting and attended a couple of Al-Anon meetings with her, but this past visit and an Al-Anon meeting hit me in the face like a ton of bricks.

An Epiphany... The alcoholics in my life (primarily my father as he was an active alcoholic when I was growing up - my step-father came into my life already in recovery), did have a profound impact on how I am today.

During the last year, my anxiety hit a level that I thought I wouldn't recover from. Fortunately I have a very good doctor who basically told me to get a counselor or he would kick my ass (not in those exact words, but I knew he was serious). So I sought out a counselor and found one that has been perfect for me. FINALLY... because I have been to many counselors over the years and they all sucked.

But, I still THINK, all the time, about my recovery from my mental health issues and want all the tools in my kit to ensure a recovery that will continue forever. With that being said, I will attend my first Al-Anon meeting in the town I live in. I am both excited and nervous/anxious. But, I really believe that the folks of Al-Anon can help me and working the steps can REALLY help me.

Anyway, I want to thank all of you for being here. Another tool in my kit.

~Peace
Old 06-11-2018, 03:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, jokerssoul.
Welcome.
Al-Anon has helped me tremendously, not just with family alcohol issues, but with many other aspects of my life.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 06-11-2018, 03:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Maudcat View Post
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Thanks Maudcat! I will!!
Old 06-13-2018, 09:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So, the meeting was wonderful. There were quite a few people there and a lot of knowledge. The topic was on forgiveness which gave me some real insight on some work I need to do to forgive.... forget.

I need to take the time to let the **** go. I am not sure where to start, but I will get it figured out eventually.

Thanks for listening.