Notices

My drunk story

Old 06-10-2018, 07:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My drunk story

I’m determined to stay sober today and have been reading posts in these forums... some of them make me laugh, some make me cry... I’m just glad to have found a community of people who know what I’m going through and find “confessing my sins” in writing helps me stay focused on why I need to quit forever.

I thought I’d share my first experience being drunk, and it was enough to scare me to never have more than one or two drinks for the next 22+ years. My husband actually found the story amusing and for years when we would go out and have a drink with new friends (before I had a drinking problem I easily stopped after one or at most two girly cocktails that didn’t taste like booze) he’d tell me to tell his friends the story about why I didn’t drink much.

The summer break right after I graduated high school a group of friends decided to go to Tijuana to drink.... there the legal drinking age was 18 and we lived near a trolley station in San Diego so we would all take the trolley to the border, walk across, and go to a bar, afterwards everyone could crash at our house so nobody had to drive (boyfriend’s father died in a motorcycle accident, leaving him a 3 br house, guy in car that hit him was drunk so we knew no drunk driving).

I had tasted a sip of booze a few times like most teenagers had and hated it but I never got drunk before. It was the middle of the week and the bar had lady’s night, guys pay $5 and ladies only $1 all-you-can drink at the bar we went to... after a couple drinks everything I had tasted delicious so I was trying out all sorts of drinks... my boyfriend only had a couple drinks since he realized he’d be babysitting me... he had no idea I was getting totally plastered because I was alert, in a good mood, seemed to be walking fine, but the next day I was very hungover and told him I didn’t remember coming home.

And the next week everyone wanted to go back to that bar... okay but I’m only having one or two that hangover was brutal. As we are getting carded at the door the guy working there says to me “are you going to ride the bull again”... WTF?!

Apparently after I got drunk the bar had a mechanical bull contest and I rode the damn thing and stayed on the longest, my boyfriend didn’t tell me that happened and told his friends not to tell me because I’d be embarrassed and never want to go back to the bar. I was wearing a miniskirt and yes had on panties but got huge applause when I fell off and my skirt went up. The prize for winning was a giant straw sombrero with flowers on it... that thing was about 6 feet across, my boyfriend had hidden it in the guest room closet. Even drunk I managed to walk back across the border wearing the sombrero and my friends didn’t think I was that drunk I just seemed a wee bit tipsy. (Even one fitness fanatic friend we had who didn’t drink at all didn’t think I was totally drunk).

So the second night I think at the bar I had only one or 2 drinks, I refused to go back there again, and I never drank again for many years. I got pregnant a few months after the bar incident (I’m the 1% that birth control pills didn’t work even though I took them religiously same time every day) and after their jerk father disappeared one day (found out days later from his sister he went to live in Canada with family up there) I didn’t drink at all for years, focused on raising my kids, going to work, being in the PTSA, did lots of volunteer work, then as my kids got older maybe just one or two on special occasions.

It wouldn’t be until they grew up and left home I started drinking in excess, though at least I never drank and drove and never drank enough in public to be drunk. Haven’t had any desire to drink the past few weeks until today, but reading other people’s stories in these forums I believe is helping me stay focused on my goal to stay sober. Thanks for reading if anyone cared to read this long post, and please share any funny stories you might have (not necessarily about drinking) because I could use a few more chuckles today.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thank for sharing a part of your story Katzen. I'm really glad SR is helping you stay sober

D