Notices

What happened last night?

Old 06-10-2018, 07:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What happened last night?

I honestly do not know what happened last night. I feel so confused... I haven’t bought any alcohol in weeks so I don’t know how I am now waking up feeling as if I drank way too much last night. Not physically hungover... I built up such a tolerance when I used to drink I’d just sleep it off and physically feel okay the next day... physically today I feel fine but my brain is so foggy.... woke up in bed with my two dogs sleeping next to me but I do not at all remember going to bed last night... last thing I remember was taking a shower last night... then... what?? I have no recollection of getting out of the shower, toweling off, getting dressed, or going to bed... did I fall and hit my head? Right now I feel so confused... am thinking about calling 911 because I don’t know what is going on with me. I would feel like this the morning after when I used to drink, but haven’t for weeks, haven’t had any alcohol in the house for weeks, so I’m so confused to wake up feeling like this today.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hm. Yeah, call 911.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Did you have anyone over? Go out to any restaurants? I would definitely go to the emergency room.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I agree that if you had nothing to drink, you should call 911.

Last edited by Coldfusion; 06-10-2018 at 07:33 AM. Reason: changed
Old 06-10-2018, 07:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm sorry that happened to you. That would be very scary. I would definitely go the hospital and get checked out. Please let us know how you're doing.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I would definitely call 911, let them know what is going on. Please check I. And let us know how you are doing.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That sounds really serious. Please go and get checked out!
Old 06-10-2018, 09:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I haven’t called 911 yet because I know they would have to take me to the nearest hospital... I live in a small rural town, the hospital I have insurance is a 2 hour drive, the small hospital here I’ve been to the ER 4-5 times, know they would give me fluids and blood tests, then either send me home telling me to go to my regular doctor on Monday, or if they think it’s serious would have an ambulance take me to the other hospital. Last year I had a raging fever they couldn’t diagnose so after spending around 20 hours in an uncomfortable bed in the nearby ER they finally sent me by ambulance to the other hospital. Don’t want to waste all today there because I really don’t think whatever is going on with me is going to be diagnosed by blood tests. I have 2 dogs to take care of, haven’t made friends nearby since moving here 2 years ago, nearest family is over 400 miles away. Just going to make it through today and see if I feel up to driving tomorrow morning. If I had been drinking it would make sense I don’t remember last night, I even walked around my house this morning thinking maybe I found a bottle of booze I had stashed away, got drunk so that’s why I can’t remember... but no sign of anything. Only dish in the sink is from lunch yesterday, don’t think I ate dinner last night.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Kat,

Like others have said, the hospital is the pc answer.

I have brain damage from all of my years of drinking. It is permanent.

Not sure what it all entails, but that is what I tell myself when things feel odd.

Whenever things are wonky I chalk it up to the brain damage and move forward.

PAWS.

Thanks.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If you were around other people yesterday, do you think it is possible someone slipped you some drug? Have you started any new prescriptions or any new supplements? Sleep aids? Allergy meds?

Are you feeling any better now?
Old 06-10-2018, 09:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Katzen;6922537]I haven’t called 911 yet because I know they would have to take me to the nearest hospital... I live in a small rural town, the hospital I have insurance is a 2 hour drive, the small hospital here I’ve been to the ER 4-5 times, know they would give me fluids and blood tests, then either send me home telling me to go to my regular doctor on Monday, or if they think it’s serious would have an ambulance take me to the other hospital. Last year I had a raging fever they couldn’t diagnose so after spending around 20 hours in an uncomfortable bed in the nearby ER they finally sent me by ambulance to the other hospital.[/

Hi Katzen - just IMO, reading the above it sounds as if something may be off if you have experienced other symptoms of illness over a longer period of time. I feel that it would be wise to at least visit your GP Monday to ask them to check your fluids/bloods again, even if nothing was uncovered up to press, as it's much better to be safe than sorry. Best wishes x
Old 06-10-2018, 10:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
If you were around other people yesterday, do you think it is possible someone slipped you some drug? Have you started any new prescriptions or any new supplements? Sleep aids? Allergy meds?

Are you feeling any better now?
I went grocery shopping on Friday, last time I was around other people. Saturday walked my dog to the mailbox but didn’t talk to or see any people. Saturday night took a shower... then... blank. Only prescription I take is hormones for menopause, do have OTC meds like Advil, Pepcid, typical stuff people have in medicine cabinets, but don’t use sleep aids, do have cold meds but haven’t taken anything recently and I have never abused medicine so I never would have accidentally ODed on cold meds and blacked out. Pretty sure I must have taken the dogs outside at least once last night after my shower because they have an emergency potty pad that they would have used if they really had to go, but they both took a real long pee outside this morning. I have walked all around the house actually hoping I’d find an empty bottle of booze that would explain my memory loss, but nothing, only empty soda can in the recycle bin, I even dug through the trash can thinking/hoping I’d find an empty bottle but nope. I’m 50 years old and never experienced anything like this before when sober and it’s been about a month since I had a drink so it shouldn’t be some bizarre withdrawal symptom.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I would definitely get checked out by your regular doctor as soon as possible.

Obviously we can't help much, but it seems like your cognition is good right now...I have no experience with nor have I heard of this type of episode that isn't directly drug or alcohol related.

Do you feel okay other than this memory lapse?

Old 06-10-2018, 11:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I would definitely get checked out by your regular doctor as soon as possible.

Obviously we can't help much, but it seems like your cognition is good right now...I have no experience with nor have I heard of this type of episode that isn't directly drug or alcohol related.

Do you feel okay other than this memory lapse?

Other than the memory lapse I feel normal physically... I originally posted just after 7 am today and it was too early to phone anyone and I just felt like I had to “talk” to another human, so I came to the forums here because people here are so friendly and supportive and understand struggling with alcohol addiction. My husband and I aren’t on speaking terms anymore but I did try to tell him about it about an hour ago and he just said “you’re nuts and I don’t want to talk to you ever again”. That wasn’t a surprise, the last time I got drunk I think I must have confessed our relationship had turned to crap and I wanted out, so now we’re done. My family and friends don’t know about how I abused alcohol, and I’ve stayed sober over a month because I’m trying to be a good mommy to my 2 dogs, they love me unconditionally so I need to be sober and stay alive to care for them.

I certainly will be going to see a doctor on Monday, I’ve switched doctors because I hated the last one I had... I was open and honest about how I had abused alcohol in the past but was sober at least 6 months and was told the reason I felt crappy was of my past alcohol abuse. Doctor ordered blood tests, ultrasound, and CT scan I think she wanted proof it was my liver that was bad but all tests said it was just fine, then a few days later I spiked a fever and spent almost a month in the hospital with sepsis. Hoping whatever doctor I see tomorrow doesn’t dismiss my memory lapse as simply being past alcohol abuse.
Old 06-10-2018, 12:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I do hope you go to doctor tomorrow. You could have had some kind of small stroke or seizure maybe? Perhaps they can run MRI to confirm or dispel that option. Keep us posted!
Old 06-10-2018, 05:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I really DO need to go to the doctor tomorrow... I was going to take a shower soon thinking I haven’t showered for a couple days... then started reading this thread and realized I was the person who posted it this morning and I showered last night but completely forgot showering last night and posting this morning. Then went to feed the dogs wth there’s a full bowl of dog food sitting there looking yucky... did they not eat? I took the trash out this morning yet 2 dog food containers in the otherwise empty trash bin... they both eat half a container for breakfast and dinner I must have fed them again today and forgot?
Old 06-10-2018, 06:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Life is good

I'll echo the others in saying please call 911 or someone who can drive you to an emergency room asap.

There is the possibility it could be a silent stroke.

Silent Stroke

Obvious changes in the ability to think and move normally can come from strokes that block major brain blood vessels, Gale says. Mild memory problems can also develop gradually after silent strokes that affect smaller blood vessels. These changes in brain function, which can range from mild to severe, are called vascular cognitive impairment.

The brain is especially vulnerable to blocked or reduced blood flow depriving it of oxygen and essential nutrients. People with memory loss are at greater risk for stroke. And forgetfulness may be an early warning sign of stroke,

Old 06-10-2018, 11:39 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm chiming in for the 911 call, especially since you've had another memory loss episode. If that still doesn't seem to be an option for you, does your insurance company have a 24-hour nurse hotline? Many of them do. I just searched for "24-hour nurse hotline" and found at least six.

I also found an article from the Dr. Oz show that said that one hotline will answer questions even if you don't have insurance. (I'm not a big Dr. Oz fan but the article I've excerpted below seems to be an informative one):

How to Contact the 24-Hour Nurse Helpline
Posted 12/13/17

The Nurses On-Call helpline is a service available under most insurance plans, including Aetna, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Cigna, Novant Health, Remsa, and United. It is a health advice and physician referral service line provided by the HCA Midwest Health Research Medical Center and is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and 365 days a year. To access this service, dial (816) 276-6405. You can place a call for free and speak to a professional nurse about:

• Any symptoms you may have
• Local physical and hospital resources
• Medications and side effects
• Reliable self-care home treatments
• Self-help and support groups
• Wellness information
• When to go to your doctor

A nurse can help answer any questions you may have that can save you a trip to the doctor's office. He or she may also help you identify if you are experiencing an emergency and direct you to the emergency room closest to you.

For individuals without insurance or payment information, the HCA Midwest Health Research Medical Center will still answer your call. Nurses can only address callers from states in which they are licensed. If you call from a state that does not have a licensed nurse available, the medical center will connect you to another medical center that can address your call.
-----------------------------------------

I hope this helps. And please keep in touch and let us know how you're doing.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:26 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your care and concern... tried to post this earlier today but iPad battery died I’ve been online all day. I’m pretty sure now my memory lapse was due to sleep deprivation... I assumed I slept all night but Internet history showed I was up all night and had even Googled “sleep deprivation” and after having a giant cup of Mountain Dew my memory started to come back to me and yesterday I drank juice all day for the vitamins and didn’t feed my caffeine addiction and hadn’t slept well the night before. I usually know when I feel lousy and need caffeine but didn’t yesterday and don’t drink it at night in hopes I can sleep better so staying up all night is probably why my brain was so fuzzy this morning. Fed my caffeine addiction and feeling better but struggling with staying sober today, can only handle conquering one addiction at a time. Will be going to doctor tomorrow I feel in no shape to drive tonight, hoping they can prescribe me something other than Librium to reduce my alcohol urges. Feel very sleepy now but my dogs have napped a couple hours and soon will be up and running around like crazy for an hour, then after that sleepy time for all of us. Keeping my phone nearby in case I feel I need to call 911 but feel so much better now after having almost 2 liters of soda, relieved brain fog was likely sleep deprivation and proud of myself I made it all through Sunday without drinking.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:38 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Doesn't really sound like sleep deprivation to me, or caffeine deprivation either tho?

If you're sure you didn't take, or weren't slipped, any meds like ambien, for us reading it's really quite scary.

I would see your Dr as soon as you're able.

D