Notices

Rehab Diaries? Blog or thread or not at all?

Old 06-09-2018, 04:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Rehab Diaries? Blog or thread or not at all?

Hi All, tomorrow I am due to set off for rehab 6000 miles and 14 hours flight from home. I will have a laptop and access to the internet for the 60 days I am there.

Would anyone be interested in me posting daily updates on my experience or should I use the blog facility, or not at all. Sometimes it is hard to know what to share as I sometimes feel I am bragging or being up myself but i have low self confidence so that is normal for me lol
Old 06-09-2018, 04:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It might be helpful, for you and others, to have a thread or blog to refer to if you feel tempted to drink after you're back home from rehab.
Old 06-09-2018, 05:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Thanks least! I appreciate not everyone can do what i am doing now. I want to share in a way so if anyone is scared of rehab that my posts might make them stick with it hard as it is! But I don't want to rub anyones nose in it either. xx
Old 06-09-2018, 05:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

I would be interested, if you think writing about it would be useful FOR YOU!

your time in rehab is for you to focus on you & for setting yourself up for long-term recovery. if you think blogging about it whilst you're there is going to detract from that, then consider whether it's the best use of your time & effort. I would be just as interested to hear about your experiences when you get back if you choose to do that instead. hope it goes well for you
Old 06-09-2018, 05:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

MantaLady, you can start your own thread or a blog. Your choice really.

Either one can be helpful to members and even some support for yourself.

I would like to keep up with how you're doing.

Safe travels, check in when you can.

Old 06-09-2018, 05:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Thanks opviotal and Andy. I am going to speak with the therapists at rehab first to make sure I do what is right for me first and foremost x
Old 06-09-2018, 06:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Personally, I question why a rehab would allow residents/patients/clients internet access. You're there to get yourself better, and part of that is learning to interact with people in person and sober. Your desire to blog about your progress and experience is admirable, but why not handwrite a journal that you can then publish online after you're home ?
Old 06-09-2018, 06:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I grew up with rotary dial phones but I can see the benefits of pushbutton ones

Its the 21st century, online help helps, and I think the decision by some rehabs to allow responsible internet access is a reflection of that.

As far as SR goes, do whatever is most comfortable for you MantaLady

D
Old 06-09-2018, 06:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life is good

From one of your other threads, a while ago:

Originally Posted by MantaLady View Post
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all of your comments xx

The me 13 days ago to today is like night and day, it's not been easy and it takes constant work and vigilance, meditation (I am not good at it and not doing it right just yet but I am trying to learn) and challenging all my thoughts and their validity.

One thing I can honestly say is that without finding SR and learning so much about addiction, the way the mind works, the constant wisdom you all share here and never ending love and support and feeling like I am understood, well, I would not be where I am and for that I thank everyone to the moon and back....and then some x

You seem to be on a beautiful journey of recovering from the trauma of alcoholism.
I hear recovery and honesty in your posts.

May you have very safe travels. Best wishes for you on this journey.

Go with your gut. If posting is helpful to you, it can be a wonderful tool to use.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

MantaLady, I hope that things go well for you in rehab.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Manta,
Heck yea! Post on. I rarely read the blogs but I'd love to hear about your experience.

I agree with Dee that responsible Internet access just shows progress on behalf of the facilities. Usually it's monitored by the counselor so it's all good.

Good luck to you and just soak it all up.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Manta,

I'm so excited for you to have this opportunity, and look forward to following your progress.

Have a safe flight.

❤️Delilah
Old 06-10-2018, 03:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Thanks for your lovely comments ��

They are pretty strict on you not being able to leave the grounds of the facility unless chaperoned by the staff. They also don’t let you have a fridge or kettle in your room so you have to go to the kitchen for drinks and teas so you can’t isolate in your room. I was very surprised that most of the UK rehabs you were allowed to leave the facility and go out whenever you wanted in your own free time, that didn’t sound right to me.

I’ll definitely do a written journal as obviously there are personal thoughts that I wouldn’t share here that will come up that I need to process. If I do post it will be more around the treatment and facilities and the day to day timetables etc.

Anyhow, time to start packing the suitcase! Less than 17 hours and I will be on my way! Feeling very nervous now and a little bit sick knowing I am going to have to talk about things I find difficult and also the group sessions as in a group I can be quite shy and don’t speak up. Still, will do my best to engage and make the most of this experience xx
Old 06-10-2018, 03:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

best wishes manta lady

D
Old 06-10-2018, 04:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I might be going against the grain on this one, especially as I do have a blog (public) and I am open about my recovery.

My main reason for saying this is that as a "newcomer" you will be going through SO much. Sorting through my thoughts for the first while- I published my blog on my 6 mo mark- was a largely private, sponsor and mtg thing. I didn't talk much for quite awhile which is unusual for me. I kept a lot of handwritten notes. While I was openly in recovery, I didn't openly share the nitty gritty except in one on one conversations, outside of recovery circles.

I guess what I am saying is to take it slow- I consider myself still learning, a work in progress (here at 27 mo and change) and i hope to always be one. It CAN be useful to keep records, sure, but (giving advice here, not exactly ESH) I'd certainly be focused on the unfolding present of your rehab experience rather than the chronicling of it- I have found that puts me in an observer perspective of my own life, which is a vastly different thing than living it.

All that said, very best to you for your journey. Of course, looking forward to you being around here, whatever mode you choose.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
I'd certainly be focused on the unfolding present of your rehab experience rather than the chronicling of it- I have found that puts me in an observer perspective of my own life, which is a vastly different thing than living it.
Thanks August, that really hit home and your absolutely on point! Really appreciate your thoughts xx
Old 06-10-2018, 04:54 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Rar

Hi MantaLady. Sending best wishes to you. Count me among those who would be interested in reading about your experience in rehab. Also agreeing with the others in that you need to do what will help you to grow and maximize your experience. This is a wonderful opportunity for you. ((HUGS))
Old 06-10-2018, 09:24 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm already fascinated by your description of UK rehab life, wandering the streets unguarded; that was never allowed in any rehab facility I've experienced or heard about in the US. So I'm definitely interested in the general approach they use in Thailand! Bon voyage, and good luck...
Old 06-10-2018, 09:41 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I didn't go to rehab, so I have no opinion other than I always like your posts, MantaLady.

You're an intelligent in-touch-with-yourself person. Trust your own instincts on this.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I wouldn't be planning in advance to do anything but focus solely on getting the result you want