Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

How Long does it take for my dopamine receptors to be fixed or at least someone fix

Notices

How Long does it take for my dopamine receptors to be fixed or at least someone fix

Old 06-08-2018, 05:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey there everyone!
I just was admitted to the hospital On May 21, 2018 for a septic blood infection and endocarditis...in other words, I shot some nasty stuff from an abscess into my veins and infected my blood... Which then circulated for SO LONG even after starting Methadone back in Nov. For the 2nd time...(that is a story for another time... Uugh)that it formed a mass of infection on one of the valves of my heart... And even though I slowly down my use, shooting that white is my weakness, and then I need some black to come down because I feel like I've done too much amd my heart might very well EXPLODE right the "F" out mah chest! 😱
So I'm writing this from a hospital bed... However, the picline they have set up for me seems to be administering the IV Vancomycin a very sturdy antibiotic basically the bleach of the antibiotic to my system to the point that we're getting negative blood cultures, so the infection in the blood is dying, the mass on my heart isn't growing and seems to be dying as well... They predict the mass will be my lil buddy chilling on my heart for the rest of my life; this mass will leave me with this heart murmur for the rest of my life.. And some other stuff about making sure my dentist knows.. And so on...

My point here is... I've been sober since the Tuesday after I came in, since May 22, 2018 I've not done anything a doctor and/or nurse hasn't handed me... Because I was so sick I missed 5 days at the methadone clinic before going to hospital... So I went from 98mg of methadone to 49mg in hospital then doc was able to gimme 70mg and as of yesterday because of cravings roller coastering day to day.. 75mg as I have been an open book with them about where I stand... Looking death in the face makes you really not WANT to pick up that needle again...(sooo scared what I WANT and what I'll DO... won't be the same thing come July 12 when I leave here... Provided all goes well and they don't need to saw my chest open and do open heart valve replacement surgery...)
Soo... Cravings... some days I crave more than others...
Some days all I do is SOB AND SOB... some days all I do is goof around and laugh and have the staff laughing...
But I know it's because thanks to MOSTLY the coke, but also the heroin...
My dopamine receptors are totally shot!!!!!! They need time to repair and that's why I crave, the sugars help... Of course.. But only help...
That's why I cry, and get depressed so randomly...
That's why I laugh, and then cry right after then do BOTH like a nutjob... Hahaha...
So I'm wondering, from experience, from medical stand point... Anyone who has something of value to say to a 5 yr IV/foil smoking heroin user, 2-3yr IV/foil freebase coke user who's 27 yrs old... When can she expect to level out...
When will/should my dopamine receptors begin to heal and go back to normal... And/or some tips to help speed it along...
Remember my joints got infected so my knees are heeling still, I can walk alright.. And remember I'm in hospital until the 12th of July...
So I'm limited on exercise... Haha..

I thank you for your time.
I thank you in advance for serious answers you'll provide should you choose to reply.
And I wish you a happy, easy, healthy recovery as well, or to whom it applies to...
With all the LOVE, RESPECT, PEACE and overall acknowledgement of our UNITY as people, addicts, strugglers, supporters of loved ones... I say, thank you, good luck, and good night!
Old 06-08-2018, 05:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The length of time it takes the brain to heal after addiction varies. There's no way I can tell you how long it'll take. Besides, we can't give medical advice here. I'd suggest you actively work on your recovery so as to stay clean, despite temptation.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would ask your Dr. This is not easy but you can do this. Best wishes for you on your journey.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome mymindasylum
I'm sorry you're in hospital but I'm very glad you're alive.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I hope that you start to feel better soon

Hope you keep posting - this is a great community

D
Old 06-09-2018, 01:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Shorten your screen name to MMA and youve got a mixed martial artist...keep fighting. Keep beating the addiction. Keep moving forward.

The legend of the quote finds its roots in the court of a powerful eastern Persian ruler who called his sages (wise men) to him, including the Sufi poet Attar of Nishapur, and asked them for one quote that would be accurate at all times and in all situations. The wise men consulted with one another, and threw themselves into deep contemplation, and finally came up with the answer ...

"this too, shall pass".

Sending you love, light and peace. Xx
Old 06-09-2018, 04:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have the same question, even though I know the answer is "it depends!" All we can do is focus on the day to day, I think. Gotta have faith it will get better if we keep trying? Even though you are sobbing, on some level you must feel a bit better already, right?

I'm sorry for what you've been through, and good luck to you!
Old 06-09-2018, 04:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome and congratulations on getting clean!

I remember that in early days I was very anxious to know when I was going to feel better. Looking back now, I realize having that information would not have changed what I needed to do.

Best of Luck on Your Journey!
Old 06-09-2018, 05:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Rar

Welcome MMA. Congratulations on getting clean. That's a huge step. I have the same question regarding dopamine levels and also can't currently exercise. Anyway, I posted the following back in February regarding recharging dopamine levels. I hope you will find something useful.

By Christopher Hope

Dopamine is one of the most important hormones in our body, it is called the ‘magic neuron’ and it controls extremely important processes in the brain. Most of us don’t even know what dopamine is, but if we learn how to control it and stimulate it, we will be able to heal anxiety, paranoia, depression etc.
Dopamine is the neuron which stimulates after joy and reward ( reward mechanism) and it’s the main component in our body that makes us become addictive to drugs, alcohol, tobaco etc. It is a neuron of joy, but often creates issues. It is not because of the neuron itself, but it’s because of our numbness and disability to control it on normal levels or stimulate it when we are in need. A regular human being gets his dopamine high in a smaller scale through activities like getting paid, having sex, winning a game and so on, but there are other ways to stimulate the bundle of these neurons in the brain that activates the high.

In this article, we will share simple and interesting ways how to supercharge your dopamine levels. After you succeed to manage the dopamine in your body, you will truly acknowledge what pure happiness is. You will be stimulated on so many levels and your life-energy will be stronger than ever.

1.Excercise

Physical activities and simple exercises could be a great booster both to your body and spirit. Make it part of your daily routine and practice physical exercises on daily basis. Your brain will not only relase dopamine, but also serotonin and endorphins.

2. Make a to do list

Set your priorities straight and make a nice plan. Include things that make you really happy and manage all of your ‘issues’. Try to get rid of all difficulties and fears, try to focus on growing as a person and completing tasks that will make your proud on yourself.

3. Eat foods that stimulate Dopamine

Foods rich with tyrosine are great dopaine stimulants. This amino acid is the percursor of dopamine and it could be found in these foods:Eggs, Green tea, Milk, Watermelon, Coffee, Almonds, Bananas, Dark Chocolate, Yogurt.

4. Reduce Your Lipopolysaccharides

It is an endotoxin that messes with your immune system and stunts the release of dopamine. Gut protecting foods, like yogurt or taking probiotics, will help you reduce the level of lipopolysaccharides and helps you release more dopamine.

5. Detox

Detoxication is an improtant and vital component of your pattern if you want to be seriously focused on supercharging your dopamine levels. Try to clean your body of all toxins, and if you are addicted to cigarettes, alcohol or drugs, quit it immediately.

6. Uplifting Music

Listening to music is way more effective than we all thing. Many pieces of research proved the strong psychological effect of music. You should listen to songs that make you happy, joyful and relaxed. Make the listening part of your routine too. Spend 10-15 minutes of the day in playing/listening to your favorite songs.

7. Get creative

Your creativity will make you feel fulfilled and happy. Like we already said, it is time for changes and new plans, so this is a great opportunity to start a new hobby. Try something creative, something that requires work and imagination.

8. Positivity

The power of positivity is always the strongest! Try to clean your aura of all low vibration frequencies of negative energy and keep the spirit strong. Don’t fall in despair or depression, always try to look at the bright side of life. Your spirit will grow stronger and your brain will forget what stress really is. You will be calm and relaxed, which is good both for your body and soul.

9. Supplement

Our dopamine levels can also be raised by taking supplements:

– Gingko Biloba is known to help dopamine levels.
– Curcumin in turmeric is pretty effective in raising the dopamine levels in your body
– Acetyl-l-tyrosine is a building block of dopamine, so a healthy dose of it supports the production of dopamine in the brain
– L-Theanine increases neurotransmitters in your brain, dopamine being one of them. Green tea is a rich source of this.

10. Yoga and meditation

Yoga and meditation will not only help you raise the dopamine level in your body, but will also open a whole new ‘world’ in front of you. You may grow spiritually, learn many things about yourself and your spirit, and keep your body healthy and strong. Meditation should definitely become part of your new hobbies if you expect positive change in life.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I just popped pills the dr gave me but I got the dr to give me a lot of strong pills.

I was taking 90x oxymorphone hcl 30mgs and 90x IR oxycodine/month for 8 years.

In my case when I quit cold turkey it took 18 months for the apathy and brain fog to go away. It took 10 months for me to stop spewing foamy bile out my back side 15+ times a day. I was carrying baby wipes for those 10 months. I sneezed and sweated like a pig for around 12 months.

I still have insomnia 4.5 years later.

I had to isolate myself and remove anything and anyone related to opioids from my life. I quit when my pain dr got in trouble and lost his license. I did manipulate to get more pills and was good at doing so. This was before the big crackdown started. I did find my neurologist was willing to put me back on the dose I had after trouble finding a new pain dr but I decided to quit.

The pills made my pain condition worse as the first withdrawal symptom is increased nerve sensitivity. After two months the pain levels went down which made it easier for me to stay away from the pills as I was miserable. My life had two states, pain and nods.