Notices

Severe cravings ahhhhhh

Old 06-08-2018, 01:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Severe cravings ahhhhhh

Experiencing severe cravings tonight as my housemate gets ready to go out to the pub. He has the music blaring and is getting ready to go. I am dying to join him and go out too!!! Another friend who had quit alcohol is also already in the pub. I'm itching for a cigarette and a beer. It's so intense!
Old 06-08-2018, 01:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

stop. Its all an illusion that things are going to be wonderful. They are not. If you want sobriety and recovery you have to commit to it. Been there.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Cravings/urges can be intense but they are just thoughts in your head Stars. First off, remember that your addiction is only telling you part of the story - not about the hangovers, shame and guilt you'd feel if you drank. Nor any of the irresponsible things you might do when you are drunk..and make no mistake that after the first sip all bets are off.

Second, there's plenty of things to do that are fun that don't involve drinking and hanging out with a bunch of drunks at a pub. Take a walk, grab a movie, get some good food, go to a park, see a show, there's a whole world of activites out there for you to try.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Enjoy the night in for a change! Hang in there, once your roommate is gone things should settle down. I was a big nightlife/bar person myself. I've spent many many a Saturday night dancing at the club. I used to try to go out in early sobriety but it always ended up with a relapse. I would make it through the night out OK but then Sunday morning the stress of it all would collapse and I'd be pouring a drink.

It was hard for me to fathom a life without nightlife. I used to be a club dj playing at dance venues and did so for more than a decade. These days I can go out again but I don't have to. I've found there's plenty to enjoy and I can dance in my living room if I want to.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Starsabove32 I am hearing you.

I am at work and dealing with idiots on the phone who forgot to grab their brains when they woke up. So frustrated with them. And since its Friday I want to have a drink when I get home from work.
Luckily I won't be off for another 6 hours so that feeling should pass.

Dealing with people in Customer Service can be taxing. Arrggg. :P
Old 06-08-2018, 01:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Cravings are just feelings, and you don't have to act on them. Eat something good, distract yourself. Drinking will just make things worse.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi starsabove, I'm so glad you posted. Please don't drink. You will regret it so much tomorrow. I'm really craving some drinks tonight, too. I keep thinking it through, to the hangover and shame I will feel tomorrow. It's hard, I know. Stay strong and keep posting.
Old 06-08-2018, 03:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all. I battled the cravings and staying in led to me finding a new focus- training for a 10k run that's back in the city I studied in and lived in for ten years. Will be so excited to visit, see my old friends there, and to run the 10k will be a great achievement. (I'm new to running) Now I have a focus to be healthy and keep up the running. Thanks all for posting 😎

Ps to the poor person stuck in customer services- I feel your pain lol
Old 06-08-2018, 04:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Starsabove32 View Post
Thank you all. I battled the cravings and staying in led to me finding a new focus- training for a 10k run that's back in the city I studied in and lived in for ten years. Will be so excited to visit, see my old friends there, and to run the 10k will be a great achievement. (I'm new to running) Now I have a focus to be healthy and keep up the running. Thanks all for posting 😎

Nice work!

I find setting and working towards athletic goals to be a huge aspect of my sobriety.
Old 06-08-2018, 04:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Atta boy! One day at a time brother and hold your head up high because you are da man! er maybe woman?
Old 06-08-2018, 04:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BDTL View Post
Atta boy! One day at a time brother and hold your head up high because you are da man! er maybe woman?

I'm a lady 🤣😂🤣😂🤣 thanks though 😎
Old 06-08-2018, 04:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

AWESOME job, Starsabove!!! Way to go!
Old 06-08-2018, 05:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great job taming the inner voice. There is so much more to life than drinking or getting high. Besides being the sober person around a bunch of drunk people is not fun. Been there, done that.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you resisted

D
Old 06-08-2018, 06:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

I'm a lady 🤣😂🤣😂🤣 thanks though 😎
I get that wrong so many times! Ya'll go ahead and pop me upside the head.