Notices

Just been out to dinner... ..wine everywhere

Old 06-08-2018, 12:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just been out to dinner... ..wine everywhere

I have just driven my family home after going out for dinner.

Watching people sipping large chilled glasses of wine was a killer. Some ordered a second and even a third.

One observation was just how obsessed I was with other people's drinking, I literally couldn't stop staring.

I'm very pleased and proud that I drove during an evening. My life has practically become 'no driving after 4pm' for years. I'm happy of course that I don't have that panic now of who is driving but also sad that I feel I've missed out on years of acting normally, like non-alcoholics.

24 days today.

And I've also dropped 7lb 😊

Thank you everyone, your support is awesome.

CC
Old 06-08-2018, 12:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thats the AV sitting at those tables whispering to you...winking at you...ever watched Devils Advocate with Keanu Reeves? Well done! I love being able to drive whenever i like. Life really starts to expand.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad you made it through the night! Those experiences are madding. I'm getting a little better now but the thoughts still become obsessive. When everyone I see has a drink in their hand it can be unnerving for me. I avoided these situations as much as possible in early sobriety, I had to. Enduring the stress of these kinds of nights often lead me to a relapse. I wouldn't relapse at the event but the stress of the situations wore me down to the point when I'd soon just give in at home.

Now that I have a year it's easier to endure but I also know not to overdo it and am sure to have an out. My wife no longer gets on me when I'm suddenly glued to my phone in social situations as she knows I'm avoiding all the drinking around.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi carpetcleaner.

I had the same experience in my early days of quitting. I was quite resentful & sorry for myself for a while. Drinking had been part of everything I did. After a few months it was much better - and today, it doesn't bother me at all. I no longer feel like I'm missing out - I know where it would lead if I were to cave. Congrats on your 24 hrs.! Also, your weight loss. That's wonderful.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have found that as long as I have a drink in my hand, I am OK. It can be soda water with a splash of cranberry, or ginger ale etc. When at social gatherings, it seems to help. I have taken note that there are alot of other people not drinking alcohol - shocking right???!!! Funny how when you are drinking, you don't notice those things. But many times the "cocktails" I thought others were enjoying were just juice or plain soda with a lime on the rim. I like remembering the night and being able to drive too! I spent many years where I wouldn't have been able to drive after 4pm either. It is indeed a great feeling.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Carpetcleaner,
Try and focus on the people who are drunk and embarrassing themselves. Thank goodness its not you! Congratulations on making it through. I love wine and that is the hardest for me to turn down. I am not ready to be among the drinking right now. Being the driver does help keep things non negotiable.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi carpet cleaner! Congratulations on 24 days!! You should be so proud of yourself 😁
Old 06-08-2018, 02:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Great job and it does make you feel good to stay the course. I had a similar situation Wednesday evening at a 9 hole golf scramble. Out of 16 players, I was the only sober one of the bunch. I drove home with my head held up high and was thinking I'm the only one who will not have a sore head tomorrow.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah I obsessed about other people drinking for a while..but I got better. You will carpetcleaner - congrats on your sober time

D
Old 06-08-2018, 06:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It takes a while but the desire to drink will fade. Hang on! It gets better, and easier.