Notices

Deppression and drink

Old 06-08-2018, 11:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Deppression and drink

I won't bore you with the misery I have endured no relationships etc. Yet this is probably why I drink to try to escape these feelings. I tak AD's but they are not enough. When I drink I don't think about problems when I am hungover I can't really think of anything other than the pain of the hangover. Not just alcohol the comorbid link between Deppression and addiction is very strong!
Old 06-08-2018, 11:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Drinking will make you more depressed. And when you're drinking a depressant, the ADs don't work as they should.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had chronic anxiety and depression a lot of my life.

I didn't realize it, truly, until I got sober.

Once I embraced sobriety and did the work, I began to see.

Then I knew that both anxiety and depression were a big root cause for me. So, I was able to take steps to treat them.
I finally did go on an Antidperessant. It's helped immnensely.

YOU CAN TOO!!!
Old 06-08-2018, 11:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yep. And the link is that alcohol is a central nervous system depressant. So it might numb you when you're intoxicated. But the carry over effect is more depression. Addiction to it high jacks your dopamine receptors so normal dopamine release during usually enjoyable activities also malfunctions. It takes some time for the brain to normalize. 6 months or so for me. In the long run, your depression will improve when you quit.

Anti d's don't work with alcohol. So there's that too.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ditto all the above.

Do you lift heavy things or run fast several times a week? Few things beat the demons back better than those.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

No I struggle to get out of bed most of the time.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Highercall View Post
No I struggle to get out of bed most of the time.
Do you have physical limitations? I don't mean to sound condescending, I feel very badly for those who do. My mother being one of them. Her inability to be active has contributed greatly to some sad/phobic/depressive events.

If the struggle to get out of bed is not physical, then physical you need to get. Says me. It's the most guaranteed, freest cure.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes I need to try exercise. My limitations are mental although at 40 my physical abilities are not what they wer.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes I need to try exercise. My limitations are mental although at 40 my physical abilities are not what they wer.
I'm 41 and, after many months of discipline and sacrifice, am going to be in better shape than I was in my 20s. Age is an excuse.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes the first step back into exercise is tough when older but needs to be done. However I do feel it challenging seeing fit desirable young people capable of having relationships when I am not. Low self esteem is an issue.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes the first step back into exercise is tough when older but needs to be done. However I do feel it challenging seeing fit desirable young people capable of having relationships when I am not. Low self esteem is an issue.
I get it HC. First step is to get in the ring though. Though no cure-all, so much mental can be solved by simply moving our bodies.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Like Free Owl, I didn't even know I had anxiety and low self esteem until I stopped. A year or so later my mental resilience is still improving. Walking in the countryside is my cure all. Best wishes to you.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Less Gravity is right! Exercise will help immensely with your self esteem and depression.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm going to give it a try. Mental resilience is something I do need. Thanks for all your kind messages
Old 06-08-2018, 06:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

A healthy body leads to a healthy mind. Treat your body well, eat good stuff, exercise, because if you exercise, you'll need good fuel also so you'll eat well, which will in turn lift your mood. Because you are exercising and eating well, you'll sleep well, which will also improve your mood.