Notices

Hope against all odds

Old 06-07-2018, 07:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hope against all odds

Hi, friends, I ran into this forum while browsing online on alcohol addiction. Am I a recovering alcohol addict, or still an addict, I don't know. It's been a long journey and I realize time and again, the struggle hasn't begun yet. I have never tried any support group or counseling on my addiction, and this is my first. I am here with hope of finding strength to fight my addiction. The main problem I face time and again is relapse. Is that normal for addicts? 15 days without alcohol, then off you start again on a binge, the cycle of which continues, even as you struggle with your deteriorating health.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to, SR, Imti; very glad you found us.

Relapse is part of our,disease; thankfully, it us not a part of recovery.

I hope that the support that you find here will help put you on the road to permanent sobriety and recovery.

Stay close. We care.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Yes, it's normal for addicts to fall back into addiction. What helps to stay sober is a good recovery plan. A plan that takes into account the things that life throws at you, and a way to not drink over these events and 'triggers'.

I hope our support can help you get sober for good. It take hard work, but is worth the effort.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...at-we-did.html (Recovery Programs & What to Expect (What We Did))
Old 06-07-2018, 08:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi lmti, and welcome. I have also tried many times to stay sober, and relapsed over and over again. Then I found this site and I feel stronger and more hopeful than ever before that I can maintain my sobriety this time. Having a plan for staying sober is a big help.

Keep reading and posting. We're here for you!
Old 06-07-2018, 09:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Welcome to, SR, Imti; very glad you found us.

Relapse is part of our,disease; thankfully, it us not a part of recovery.

I hope that the support that you find here will help put you on the road to permanent sobriety and recovery.

Stay close. We care.
Thanks for the prompt response, Soberleigh, I have a feeling, this will be a wonderful forum to help me stay sober. I am still naive of the nuances of recovering alcoholics and those in the path to recovery.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Imti writes >>>The main problem I face time and again is relapse. Is that normal for addicts? 15 days without alcohol, then off you start again on a binge, the cycle of which continues, even as you struggle with your deteriorating health.<<<

Not everyone relapses, I know some that haven’t, but I had many times. However, I stopped comparing myself with others, and stopped feeling less than those who hadn’t relapsed. I realized that recovery isn’t a competition and I’m not any less a human being than those that hadn’t relapsed. That my recovery is unique to me and when I began to live this healthy way, I felt better about myself and this is what recovery is all about.

Feeling bad about myself is why I became addicted, because my drug alcohol temporarily relieved my feelings of discomfort when I felt less than. When I stopped living in" I’m not enough-ism I recovered", I recovered.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Glad you are here & posting ikit.......you are among friends here & have found a wonderful support group!
Old 06-07-2018, 09:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=least;6920121]Welcome to the family. Yes, it's normal for addicts to fall back into addiction. What helps to stay sober is a good recovery plan. A plan that takes into account the things that life throws at you, and a way to not drink over these events and 'triggers'.

I hope our support can help you get sober for good. It take hard work, but is worth the effort.

Hey lease, thanks for the welcome and the link. I realize that knowledge is the first path way to recovery.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MariahGayle View Post
Glad you are here & posting ikit.......you are among friends here & have found a wonderful support group!
Thanks Mariah Gayle, I am already feeling the warmth of this group!
Old 06-07-2018, 11:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Mr

Welcome Imti.
You have come to the right place.
Stick around
Old 06-08-2018, 12:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Gday lmti. Welcome aboard
Old 06-08-2018, 12:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome lmti x