opportunity cost

Old 06-07-2018, 06:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

opportunity cost

Musing. In business, each deal or sale has an implicit opportunity cost. When you work on one thing, you are not working on others. What is the value of those other opportunities? The important thing is to not go all in on one deal, even a sure thing, if others would be more rewarding even if they would take longer to pull together.

Thinking about the AV which makes drinking seem like the most important thing in the world. However if you use the right thought process when you hear it, you'll immediately begin looking at all the other opportunities for fun, or lifestyle, or reward. The list of opportunities will be very long in comparison to what the AV has to offer.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Thankful,

Very sage words !
My own AV has caused me plenty of carnage, and deserves to be spoken back to. I'm only just discovering how to do that, and wish I'd acted sooner.
I'm putting into practice many other opportunities at the cost of the AV now.
Thanks for the reminder & hope your day is going well,
Johnnie.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Absolutely! I missed out on so much living because of my drinking. My whole world was centered around it, if there wasn't drinking involved then I wasn't interested in participating. Not to mention all the times I flaked out because I was too hungover to be a person. My life is way more interesting now that I've quit. I'm into trying new things and being adventuresome and active. I've got new hobbies and have picked up some old ones. It's a huge AV lie that life without alcohol is boring and colorless.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thankful61 View Post
Musing. In business, each deal or sale has an implicit opportunity cost. When you work on one thing, you are not working on others. What is the value of those other opportunities? The important thing is to not go all in on one deal, even a sure thing, if others would be more rewarding even if they would take longer to pull together.

Thinking about the AV which makes drinking seem like the most important thing in the world. However if you use the right thought process when you hear it, you'll immediately begin looking at all the other opportunities for fun, or lifestyle, or reward. The list of opportunities will be very long in comparison to what the AV has to offer.
Wasted youth. 20-35 are prime years of life and I wasted them drinking away opportunities and relationships.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Then there is the myth of multi-tasking. In reality it is better to do one thing supremely well, than many things badly. In my business we routinely cull activities that divert us from our most profitable areas. Every new opportunity is assessed against the opportunity cost towards existing successful activity. Experience shows when we go off on a tangent we lose customers, and profitablilty suffers.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

I read somewhere that when a person develops an addiction that their emotional maturity is stunted at that age. I started using at age 19 and still exhibit many of the traits of an immature 19 year old. (I am now 49) I think that is because, as others have mentioned, you kinda stop living and experiencing the same things as a "normal" person while you give yourself over to the addiction.

Unfortunately, even without the addiction, it is really hard to just start "living" again after 30 years. Good work for me and my therapist!