Notices

The dignity of not giving up

Old 06-06-2018, 05:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The dignity of not giving up

Sobriety hasn't yet miraculously changed other bad habits that I've accumulated in my 41 years. The self-destructive tendencies which led me to choose booze over everything else in my life still populate this divided self. I think the demons might be looking for other options and opportunities now that I've taken alcohol off the menu.

So I am vigilant in protecting and nurturing my sobriety and at the same time aware the demons are devious f's who will look to be fed in other ways.

In that regard, I'm also not giving up on bettering my self in other ways that are not directly related to booze. Who says we can't get better, even if our past choices might tilt the Vegas odds against us?
I'm not giving up, in the same way, retrospectively, I can see I never gave up on getting sober. Sure I got waylaid, knocked myself off ship and treaded water at sea for years. I tried and gave up many times. But I see now that there was always some aspect of my person that refused to give up on the idea of fixing this alcohol addiction, refused to give up somehow, even while I was killing myself with the garbage. I kept coming back to SR.

So for all of us newbies, almost sober people, the lurkers and drop-offs and comeback kids, I think we should look at that strong, relentless part of us that keeps bringing us back here and to AA or wherever we go to get away from the poison. There's a dignity in that aspect of all of us. A struggle for something of value, a desire, that might define us, for a life well-lived.

Oy. Bit high-falutin', but was feeling that reading about others struggles, thinking of my struggles and seeing all the successes here as well.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Thank You lessgravity, nice post. Not so something anyone should ever give up on!
Old 06-06-2018, 07:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, I agree!
Old 06-06-2018, 07:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Excellent stuff.

Yes. Never give up. Ever. I very much believe if a person can just keep picking themselves up, keep digging away... then there's still hope. It's so cliche but true.

B

PS - turn this one over... the self-compassion thing. I just read something the other day that pointed out a difference between self-compassion and self-esteem. Self esteem is about measuring yourself against a standard - usually other people or how you perceive you should be. Self-compassion is simply accepting ourselves in totality - warts and all. Don't know about you, but it's definitely the latter I struggle with.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Thanks lessgravity and the hope we have in maintaining our sobriety should always be the main focus. Never ever give up on the ultimate goal of being good to yourself. Being kind to one's self by giving up alcohol is one of the greatest achievements of our lives.