Finding faith in a sunset

Old 11-09-2004, 03:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finding faith in a sunset

It's 2AM over here and I just need to vent a little.

Had lunch with a good friend across town yesterday, he's been divorced 3 times already so I figured he could give me a lot of advice on the practical aspects of the event. Hadn't seen him in awhile, had a great time. After that I drove to a business meeting which, as usual in this economy, didn't work out. They're almost broke and desperately trying to stay afloat, no need for my services there.

Driving home brought me past some of the places my wife and I have lived thru. Some of the hospitals where she's had surgery, some of the places where we worked together. Lots and lots of memories of our life together over the last 19yrs. That was _so_ hard. Had to pull off the freeway and into a parking lot.

When I finaly got home there was a wonderful sunset. Grays and pinks and reds all over. Even the houses picked up a bit of color. That was my HP playing with finger paint, letting me know he's still thinking of me. Went to see my M.D., I'm not getting more than 5 hours of sleep, still not able to shake off the last of the flu I had last week. He told me I have too much stress in my life (yeah, like I didn't know that already :-) Told me to go see a shrink. (Doing that already)

Went to bed early, woke up at midnight. Read a little, cruised this forum a bit, answered some email. 2AM I hear my wife having a nightmare. She gets those from time to time. Nasty, ugly nightmares from her childhood. Took me a few minutes to wake her up. Then she was upset cuz she thought she'd woken _me_ up with her screaming and I needed my sleep.

That's when I realized there's still hope. When I catch her groggy and sleepy she's still the same loving, kind, and giving lady I married 19yrs ago. This "disease" that has taken over her is just on the outside, it's just the huge pile of fears and insecurities from a brutal childhood and a life filled with pain and hardship. I will not be the guy who wakes her up from her nightmares in the future (and that realization is really hurting bad at the moment) but I'm beginning to have a little hope that she still has a chance to break out of this and find a life that is happy, joyous and free.

I can't walk away from her with the feeling that I am abandoning her. But if I hang on to the hope that she will survive this, that her HP will guide her and help her through it, then I think I might be able to walk away. Is that detachment? Finding enough faith in my HP that I can walk away from somebody i love who is in great pain?

Sunsets are not endings. If you have enough faith they are beginnings.

Mike :-)
Old 11-09-2004, 04:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

********{Mike}}}}}}
Old 11-09-2004, 05:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DesertEyes
That's beautiful Mike.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What a great post Mike! I am inspired by your courage to let her go! Hoping that I can soon do the same!

I hope you will always see those sunsets!
Old 11-09-2004, 05:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

(((Mike)))

Your post gave me goosebumps - your words are beautiful. I can feel your love for your wife.

You HP was there with you yesterday as will be with your wife, together or apart.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Sunsets, sunrises, stars and moon are all light, Mike. Stay in the light.

Hugs
Ann
Old 11-09-2004, 06:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Radar

(((Mike))) That was beautiful... God reminds us of him in the most wonderful ways.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

Hi Mike,

What a wonderful change I see in you from a few weeks ago. You're a perfect example of a person really working their program. Congrats sir.

Your sunset reminds me of the Norther Lights I saw Sunday night. It was such a spiritual moment for me. I know how you felt. A grand gift from our Father.

I don't think that we really ever get over everything that happened with our spouses. Things will remind you once in a while. Hold onto the good memories and cherish a time where love abound.

You're a dynamic guy. You're heart is as big as the moon. I will keep you and your wife in my prayers that the 2 of you will be able to follow your new paths with little pain and regrets.

Hugs, Kathy

Last edited by gelfling; 11-09-2004 at 10:24 AM. Reason: boo boo
Old 11-09-2004, 10:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wow, that was amazing. I don't think I'll ever look at a sunset again. Beautiful.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What a wonderful heartfelt post. You know, it is amazing how our HP is there whenever we need them--we just have to remember to look.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanx gang. You're cheery little feedback means the world to me :-)

Mike :-)
Old 11-09-2004, 05:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
No More Mrs. Nice Guy

(( mike ))

I love the sunsets that my HP paints for me, too. He does a pretty mean sunrise too, though I am not often awake at that time.

HUGS
Barb