Notices

13-year-old greyhound going for surgery tomorrow

Old 06-05-2018, 12:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

13-year-old greyhound going for surgery tomorrow

Hi all, I've been a member over a year but I don't normally post in Newcomers.

But feel I need to now. My sweet greyhound, Penny, is going into surgery tomorrow. She has had breathing problems and a recent scoping revealed bilateral laryngeal paralysis.

We are eternally grateful it is not cancer, but it is still a major surgery. The surgeon will tie back one or both of her paralyzed laryngeal flaps. Luckily, the prognosis is good. She'll have lifestyle changes such as having to eat the rest of her life while standing on a ramp to position her at a 30-degree angle, will never bark again, and will cough every time she drinks water. A cake walk compared to some other scenarios.

And..she'll be able to breathe! It's been so hard to hear her struggle as it's gotten worse. Her exercise is extremely limited and it takes real effort for her to draw a breathe even at rest. She is otherwise a healthy 2-year-old in a 13-year-old body. She is the most playful, endearing dog I have ever met.

As of today, I have eight days under my belt. This is only the second time this year I have surpassed seven (lots and lots of twos and threes) and I'd like to keep the momentum going. So I am posting. I feel good now but I'm a little worried about the days ahead.

I lost my other greyhound, Argus (seen in my avatar), in June of last year after 12 years together (he was almost 14). (Penny has been with us for 11 years now). I so appreciated the support of the SR community during that time.

I've been thinking about Argus a lot lately, (lots of tears and missing him so) and just the thought of Penny's mortality frightens me to my core. I have no "skin kids" so my furkids are it...

Attaching one of my favorite pics of Penny taken a couple of years ago. Please keep her in your thoughts tomorrow and the coming days as she works through recovery. And me, too, as I work through mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Penny_Girl.jpg (96.1 KB, 117 views)
Old 06-05-2018, 12:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
saoutchik

All the best to both of you and congratulations on 8 days. Argus and Penny have obviously been well looked after.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Aw she looks so sweet. I will pray for her.

I love my fur babies too. My doggy is only 9ish and seems super healthy but my kitty is really aging. I just had him shaved (he's a maine coon mix) for the summer so he looks particularly funny. With his arthritis, goofy walk and crazy hair doo I don't know whether to laugh or cry when I see him. He looks like some crazy Tim Burton animation cat. I get upset when I think about his eventual demise. Just part of owning animals. I try to remember that he doesn't experience fear the way I do and doesn't even know what death is. For whatever reason that makes me feel better.

Let us know how Penny does.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Penny is absolutely gorgeous. I will definitely keep you and Penny in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow and, as she recovers.

Congratulations on 8 days of sobriety! Penny needs you to be sober and strong for her as she recuperates and gets used to her lifestyle changes, and I know you will do that for her.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Penny is so pretty, praying for hr and you so you can be there for her.

I am also a furry mom and I get your fear but lets pray all goes well for Penny and you and her enjoy some more time together here.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Argillaceous, I am so sorry. I will be thinking about your sweet Penny and crossing all my fingers and toes for her and you. And rest in peace, Argus. Gone but not forgotten.

All dogs are wonderful, but sighthounds really are the sweetest, most heartwarming family members, aren't they? If only we could spare them the pains of growing older.
Old 06-05-2018, 03:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best wishes to you and Penny, Argi

your inner addict will try and use this as an excuse to drink - don't let that happen.

We are stronger than we know - when we give ourselves the chance

D
Old 06-05-2018, 04:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks to my fellow furry friend compadres, and other sympathetic souls.

saoutchik, Anna, and Dee, I appreciate that you have been there from the start, when Argus began his decline. Your supportive words meant a lot then and they mean even more now.

Frickaflip, the image you paint of your kitty makes me have the same reaction—I'm both laughing and also trying not to laugh because of how I picture he looks. Sometimes they are sweetest when they have to endure things that aren't so natural (think: cone of shame...)

Healthyandsober, prayers are very much appreciated, thx.

ProfD, I have been dipping in and out of your journey over the months, even though I haven't responded much. I admire your courage to look at and work through living without alcohol and have identified with many of your posts. This whole beginning phase is no picnic for sure. I was watching a TED talk on alcohol and the woman said "quitting is not for the faint-hearted." True dat.

I love that you are a fellow sighthound fan. They are a breed apart. (Of course, everybody probably thinks that about their breed ).

Thanks all. Trying to keep my anxiety levels down. No alcohol in the house today and no plans to go get any.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I will keep Penny in my prayers for a swift recovery.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I’ll be praying too, Arg.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your precious Penny.

Wishing Penny a quick recovery.

Gorgeous picture, argillaceous!

Thank you for sharing.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Penny is beautiful, our family dogs when I was a kid were greyhounds, they are such awesome dogs. Penny and you are in my thoughts and prayers. Katie xo
Old 06-05-2018, 06:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Arg - I had never heard of 'lar par' until last month. Our elderly lab may have it. We haven't had the test yet - but the vet suspects. Anyway, I know 2 dogs who have had the operation with excellent results. I pray it will be the same for your Penny. Please let us know how it goes! We will be thinking of you.

I'm glad we now know that drinking doesn't help us cope - only makes the anxiety worse. Congratulations on your 8 days - that's wonderful.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Bless her...she’s beautiful. Sending warm thoughts to you and a speedy recovery for your Penny💖
Old 06-05-2018, 06:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

My prayers are with you and your sweet Penny. Such a sweet kind dog and a wonderful parent like yourself deserve the best success.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

What a sweet pup! I love that picture....and I've always loved greyhounds! They are so sweet; thanks for sharing

Sending hugs and positive thoughts for you and Penny! I remember when you posted last year about losing your buddy Argus. I'm sure he's watching over taking extra care of you guys
Old 06-05-2018, 09:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

least, Gilmer, Optival, Hevyn, Purplrks: I don't think I can convey how comforting it is to see more familiar names. It really makes me feel so much less alone, especially given that I am mostly housebound due to chronic pain issues, and Penny is my normal daytime companion (my husband works long hours).

Having familiar names pop up for support, as well as getting to know the new ones keeping Penny and I in their thoughts and prayers, is without a doubt what will keep me driving past the liquor stores during this time. Ice cream stores are another matter...

Katiekate, yeah, greyhounds rock the house, don't they? Well, more like rock the couch...

Hevyn, I hadn't heard of "lar par" before this either. We spent the past nine months onboard the diagnosis train: first we did antiobiotics in case it was a bacterial infection, next appt was X-rays, then later an echocardiogram to rule out heart disease, then more X-rays at another follow-up appt.

We landed on lar par more as a diagnosis of exclusion because it, well, wasn't anything else. We finally got her scoped and got the diagnostic evidence we needed.

Thanks for letting me know about the successful operations. That helps ease my fears a bit. I think this surgery is fairly routine now. I hope things get sorted out diagnostically for your sweetie (I adore labs; they are filled with mountains and mountains of love that they give away generously to those around them).

Purplrks, it brought tears to my eyes (the good kind) when you said Argus was watching over and taking extra care of us. I like holding that thought in my heart. Thanks for that powerful reflection.

Thanks everyone. I'll check in with an update on how things went. Onto Day 9 for me! Fingers crossed for double digits—if I can make it it will be only the second time to hit that milestone in more than a year.

Check that. "When" I make it...thanks guys.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:58 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

beautiful puppy! hope all goes well!

Badge
Old 06-06-2018, 05:31 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Rar

What a beautiful pup! You and Penny will be in my thoughts and prayers today. It will be an emotional experience for you. Stay strong. Please let us know how you're both doing.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thinking of you today ::