Need advice- believe my wife may be an alcoholic

Old 06-05-2018, 08:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need advice- believe my wife may be an alcoholic

New to this forum and just wanted some advice from people that have more experience, or a different perspective from myself who is in the middle of it.

So I'll just try to keep it factual and leave my impressions/opinions out of it.

Over the past year, my wife's drinking has increased in frequency. I would say she averages drinking 5-6 times per week, with an average of 30-40 drinks per week. She has driven with our young child drunk at least twice. She has driven admittedly drunk by herself at least 2 other times during that time frame.

Lately, she tends to black out more frequently, and I think even more easily. Last night she browned out after only having about 6-7 drinks. She also doesn't tend to get hangovers. She can drink and passout and wake up functioning normally. She also doesn't seem to have much of transition from being sober to drunk. She seems 100% normal, then its like someone flips a switch and she's 100% drunk. Does this sound like symptoms of alcoholism?

For the first time this morning she seemed concerned about her drinking and the fact she couldnt remember things from the previous evening even though she hadn't much (relatively) to drink.

Thanks in advance for any advice/help!
Old 06-05-2018, 09:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life is good

Does this sound like symptoms of alcoholism?

Very much so. AA is for those who have a desire to quit drinking. Alanon is for the family and friends who have been affected by someone else's drinking.

Welcome to SR. I'm glad you're here.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life is good

https://www.al-anon.org/
Old 06-05-2018, 12:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome ah1103!

Last night she browned out after only having about 6-7 drinks. This made me laugh - because SIX or SEVEN drinks in one night is A LOT!! I mean, I am not an alcoholic so I would be incoherent!! Like, I just would never ever drink that much!!

Glad you found this place - collectively we've seen it all here on SR. I am sure it is unacceptable to you that she drove drunk with a child in the car. Be sure your actions going forward are about protecting the minor children and not protecting the adult alcoholic.

There's an old saying, "How do you know when an alcoholic is lying? Their lips are moving." Someone in active addiction will lie and lie and lie even to the very faces of their loved ones. That's why AA and other recovery programs stress a life of rigorous honesty with the self first.

If she's capable of being honest with her doctor about the amounts she drinks that's a good place to start since some of her symptoms could be neurological and unrelated to her alcohol consumption. But you can't make her go the doctor, or be honest, or quit drinking. If love could cure addiction none of us would be here!

You can only control yourself and choose how you want your children and yourself to live.
Peace,
B.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

[How can you appear sober one minute and be 100% percent drunk the next?[I][chances are they have been sneaking drinks throughout the day. Took me quite awhile to realize it wasn’t actual cream in his coffee, it was Baileys,, the glass of ice water was half vodka, and the “I only stopped for 2 beers”, was actually 12, so by the time he set down to dinner, took a sip of his drink he was hammered. He was the worst black out drunk, and never would have a hangover. I don’t get it, anything after two drinks , I will have a headache from Hell the next day, guess that is why two remains my limit.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi ah does she accept she has a problem? She may attempt to cut back but unless she's determined to stop altogether she's sounds like she's getting herself into real trouble. Suggest you read up as much as you can on alcoholism and in the meanwhile make it 100% clear that driving with your child in the car while drunk is out.
Old 06-10-2018, 05:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to say this, but yes, your wife is an alcoholic. 30-40 drinks a week, blacking out, endangering the children...these are all telltale signs.

It is a GOOD SIGN that your wife is concerned! Now, can she do something about it? Can she come onto sober recovery, get to an AA meeting, or see an addiction counselor? Any of those is a good first step. If she is willing to work on this, there is a chance that the marriage can survive.
Old 12-24-2019, 07:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ah1103 View Post
New to this forum and just wanted some advice from people that have more experience, or a different perspective from myself who is in the middle of it.
I signed up today and reading trough old posts. This text could have been written by me, 100%. My wife drinks but I'm the one who is more concerned about it than herself.

ah1103, not sure if you ever going to read this, but I really hope things have worked out for you. I wonder how I can convince my wife to take her wine consumption more serious.
Old 12-24-2019, 07:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Kofh and welcome. I don't know if AH1103 is still watching this board or not but I think you will probably find many new threads that you can read that might resound with you.

Hope you will stick around and perhaps even start a thread of your own.

You may want to check out this thread that is in About Recovery/Classic reading in the stickies section at the top of this forum:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...c-reading.html (Classic Reading)
Old 12-24-2019, 10:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi koph and ah1103.
When i first came here, there were so many posts that described what I had been going through, some not so much.
Seeing a loved one drnk is very painful.
Learning how to deal with that is a journey for you.
This forum has given me many reality checks over time. Its also shown me that I am not alone.
Old 12-26-2019, 01:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wombaticus View Post
Seeing a loved one drnk is very painful.
Learning how to deal with that is a journey for you.
This forum has given me many reality checks over time. Its also shown me that I am not alone.
Fully true. And a long journey I may add. It's painful when your loved one does not want to see the obvious.
Old 12-26-2019, 03:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KOFH View Post
Fully true. And a long journey I may add. It's painful when your loved one does not want to see the obvious.
When I was drinking alcoholicly (I'm 3yrs sober) I kinda cared about others to a degree but, I didn't really care about myself, internally, at all anymore. The 'simple fix' was to numb out with booze. Rinse/repeat..crazy mental cycle! Make a thread, buddy.. plenty of support from both sides around here.
Old 12-26-2019, 04:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Real tough. I’d like to add, that you may have a “general” count on how much she drinks, but it’s usually worse. Sounds similar to my ex girlfriend. Yeah it’s heartbreaking to watch. Sorry you’re going through it all.

My ex drank from morning to night, 24/7 and mostly appeared “normal” to others — although it does get progressively worse FAST! She awoke nearly every AM “appearing” highly functional (after puking her brains out in our kitchen sink) and then pouring wine in her coffee cup.

Very quickly things escalated. We were together 6 years but looking back... wow, it’s rough. She tried to detox 5 times and that’s when the seizures began. And that’s when I saw everything differently... as she was drinking all day to basically stay alive.

Here’s the thing, you can’t really do anything to help her. It’s a very overwhelming situation. All you can do is decide what are healthy boundaries for yourself and what you’re willing to watch or tolerate. Stop counting her drinks or bottles. And don’t control/tell her how much or how little to drink. I know it’s unbelievable to understand but the less controlling or OCD you are about HER alcoholism.... the better.... for you and your relationship. Sadly controlling her drinking can actually backfire (re: withdrawal seizures). If things get bad (blackouts, seizures, drunk driving, verbal abuse) call 911. Don’t hesitate... call!

Continue to post. This forum honestly saved my life. I’m going on 9 months of no contact with my ex. It’s taken me a long time just to heal slightly from how dysfunctional living with an alcoholic can be!