Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

I cannot stop myself from getting drunk when I have access to alcohol

Notices

Old 06-03-2018, 02:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Addy

When there is no alcohol around, Ian fine but when I know there's a store around the corner or a bar, I can't stop myself from going there. It happens every evening after office as there are a few bars on the way back home.
This may sound weird but when I wear a suit and tie, I get this immense urge to drink and it had led me to have a couple of drinks before office every morning.
Recently I've started getting so drunk that I sometimes cannot return home since I pass out on the way.
I don't like it when I find myself lying on the road next morning but I'm unable to help myself with drinking.
Old 06-03-2018, 03:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can relate. Been there.

I found the answer to be choosing sobriety.
Old 06-03-2018, 03:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
I drank like you, somewhat.
I never met a bar I didn't like. Even the ones I was thrown out of.
I had a really hard time passing a bar when I was drinking. The smells, the lights and the booze all of it I liked.
I lived like that for twenty five years. Bartenders were my friends in my regular haunts.
Never even had to ask me what I wanted to drink when I walked in the door, just began pouring it. I was a good tipper and it paid off in the occasional free drink,
But, I digress.
I was the same way with liquor stores when I wasn't in a bar. Earned myself a line of credit at them I was such a good customer.

I didn't wear a suit, I worked in show business. It made me feel special. I loved it and drinking was part of that culture.
I started drinking of a morning myself. Two shooters of whiskey on the two block walk home from the liquor store at 8:30am.

I'm just writing this to let you know you're not alone and that I understand.
It's been nine and a half years since I've had a drink, and I got sucked into many bars in my first attempts to quit.
But I persevered.
It took me a long time to quit, and I hope you don't hit the low points I did before stopping.

Sorry so long winded, just wanted to welcome you and let you know you're not alone and are understood.
Stick around, you'll find a lot of support here.
Best to you.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Very glad to meet you, Addy.

I drank in a similar way. Once that first drink was down, I could never predict what might happen. The only way for me to stay safe was to stop all together. I hope you'll keep posting - we all understand what you're going through.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Addy

Waking up on the road even just once is pretty serious, doing it again and again is pretty hardcore.

have you tried to stop drinking before?
Old 06-04-2018, 07:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Addy

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome Addy

Waking up on the road even just once is pretty serious, doing it again and again is pretty hardcore.

have you tried to stop drinking before?
Yes. I had tried once 2 years back. I was able to do it for a couple of months. I quit my job n enrolled for MBA aroused that time and as I began college it relapsed. I drank almost daily and I guess that's where getting drunk got associated to wearing a business suit since we wore them on a daily basis. There were times when I used to hit the bar directly after classes and then wake up the next morning and go directly for classes. This used to happen for 2-3 days in succession sometimes where I used to be in the same suit for those 2-3 days.
Now, whenever I wear a business suit it's impossible for me to not want to get drunk.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Addy

Originally Posted by Ghostlight1 View Post
Hello and welcome.
I drank like you, somewhat.
I never met a bar I didn't like. Even the ones I was thrown out of.
I had a really hard time passing a bar when I was drinking. The smells, the lights and the booze all of it I liked.
I lived like that for twenty five years. Bartenders were my friends in my regular haunts.
Never even had to ask me what I wanted to drink when I walked in the door, just began pouring it. I was a good tipper and it paid off in the occasional free drink,
But, I digress.
I was the same way with liquor stores when I wasn't in a bar. Earned myself a line of credit at them I was such a good customer.

I didn't wear a suit, I worked in show business. It made me feel special. I loved it and drinking was part of that culture.
I started drinking of a morning myself. Two shooters of whiskey on the two block walk home from the liquor store at 8:30am.

I'm just writing this to let you know you're not alone and that I understand.
It's been nine and a half years since I've had a drink, and I got sucked into many bars in my first attempts to quit.
But I persevered.
It took me a long time to quit, and I hope you don't hit the low points I did before stopping.

Sorry so long winded, just wanted to welcome you and let you know you're not alone and are understood.
Stick around, you'll find a lot of support here.
Best to you.
Thanks... Appreciate the support!
Old 06-04-2018, 07:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well, the suit is just one association...for all of us with a drinking problem there are many triggering situations.

If you changed jobs to one where you wore a uniform, then the uniform would be the "trigger." It's just what your addiction is grabbing onto today.

We all have things we have to continue to do after we quit drinking. For instance, I drank because I was sad. Oh, and to celebrate. Or if I got mad at someone. Or in the end, if I was awake.

The waking up on the street is very bad and it is not going to get better. I hope you will find a way to stop completely. It's the only solution.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Addy

I try to avoid waking up on the road, ie passing out on the road. I avoid going to bars and try to buy alcohol and drink at home. But sometimes the urge is so intense that once I have bought alcohol, I cannot but put it to my lips. And once u start drinking... May it be in a bar, in public or at home. I can stop only after I pass out.
The suit may be an association because when my drinking increased I was in a job where we had business suits as dress code. It was followed by a business school where the dress code remained same and my recent job also needs me to wear business suits, or at least a formal shirt and tie. So if its indeed an association, it's so strong that the moment I wear it, or even when I think of wearing a suit, I get the urge to drink
Old 06-04-2018, 08:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Addy2204 View Post
I try to avoid waking up on the road, ie passing out on the road. I avoid going to bars and try to buy alcohol and drink at home. But sometimes the urge is so intense that once I have bought alcohol, I cannot but put it to my lips. And once u start drinking... May it be in a bar, in public or at home. I can stop only after I pass out.
The suit may be an association because when my drinking increased I was in a job where we had business suits as dress code. It was followed by a business school where the dress code remained same and my recent job also needs me to wear business suits, or at least a formal shirt and tie. So if its indeed an association, it's so strong that the moment I wear it, or even when I think of wearing a suit, I get the urge to drink
But it's just a psychological thing and you can overcome it.

The thing to do is stop drinking. No matter what. No matter what you are wearing, no matter what time of day it is, no matter what happens or doesn't happen, no matter where you are or what day it is or what time.

Do not pick up that first drink. No matter what.

If you cannot do that on your own, maybe hit an AA meeting or see your doctor for help.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Addy

I am feeling like a hypocrite. I'm writing all those things here but I am drinking as I write this posr. There's a liquor store just a block away from my ofc and all day long today I had this urge of getting drunk probably becz of the suit or whatever. I could not wait for office to end and rushed to the store to buy myself a bottle of rum. I'm sitting on a bench drinking from the bottle as I write this... Maybe I'm beyond help
Old 06-04-2018, 10:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am feeling like a hypocrite. I'm writing all those things here but I am drinking as I write this posr. There's a liquor store just a block away from my ofc and all day long today I had this urge of getting drunk probably becz of the suit or whatever. I could not wait for office to end and rushed to the store to buy myself a bottle of rum. I'm sitting on a bench drinking from the bottle as I write this... Maybe I'm beyond help
You are not beyond help, Addy. I don't think the suit is the problem here. For those who are addicted to alcohol there will always be a reason to drink, no matter what they wear...stress? Have a drink, Pressure? Have a drink, Special occasion? Drink. Anger and resentment? Drink. Someone dying? Drink. Depressed? Drink. Can't sleep? Drink. And list goes on.....You're not beyond help. Not by a long shot. You've found a great forum here with lots of help and understanding. Stick around and welcome!
Old 06-04-2018, 10:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You're not beyond help. We've all drank or drank too much when we didn't plan on it.

But for right now, let's try to do a little damage control.

If you're far from home, start going home now before you get so wasted you end up passed out somewhere.

When you get home eat, drink water and go to bed - don't stop anywhere on the way home for more to drink.

Tomorrow, you can not drink. Yes, it's possible.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Addy

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
You're not beyond help. We've all drank or drank too much when we didn't plan on it.

But for right now, let's try to do a little damage control.

If you're far from home, start going home now before you get so wasted you end up passed out somewhere.

When you get home eat, drink water and go to bed - don't stop anywhere on the way home for more to drink.

Tomorrow, you can not drink. Yes, it's possible.
Ojay... Tonorroe I won't dribk. Il drink only y today cz I've started anyway
Old 06-04-2018, 10:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Are you heading home now? Start moving...so you don't do anything else you'll regret.

It would be best if you don't drink any more today - head home.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Addy

I thinj in far from home, but then again... This steeet outside ofc has become my home in a way
Old 06-04-2018, 11:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

It's dangerous for you to be out and drunk.

Get on a bus - get a cab. Go home where you can be safe.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:04 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Addy

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Are you heading home now? Start moving...so you don't do anything else you'll regret.

It would be best if you don't drink any more today - head home.
I'm going to not drink tomorrow... So some msoee today is okah. I found a corned for me to lie down. Unable to get up
Old 06-04-2018, 11:07 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I drank similar(minus sleeping in the street) and I don't have a dress code,so I seriously doubt it's your suit. It's your thinking that's the problem. Stop drinking now and start building a sobriety plan. Be it rehab,AA,smart,here,therapy,DR help,all of them,ect.. I've blammed my past drinking on loads of 'life' being thrown my way,but never on clothing.

Edit: I have woken up in jail a couple times related to my drinking,so I guess that's worse than sleeping on the street.