Notices

My first beer

Old 06-03-2018, 01:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My first beer

Hello All,

I am on day seven with no alcohol. There have been a many day ones and a couple day twos some dishonest day threes.

I haven't been sleeping well the past few nights.
I keep remembering my first beer. It keeps coming back to me. Curse you first beer! The not so funny thing is I can't remember my last beer even though it is only from a week ago.

I didn't drink until I turned 21. My first beer was on a company sponsored Party Bus trip to Reno NV. I was the youngest member of the crew.

Someone handed me a long neck bottle with lime. It's cool long neck felt good in my hand , fizzy carbonation tickled my nose, sour taste tasted so good, I finished that one. Another one magically appeared in my hand then shots of Tequila, more beers... I don't remember getting to Reno, a 4 hour ride, or the rest of the day till my first hangover in the Hotel the next day. Someone handed me a beer and told me it was time to "RALLY BRO!" I did.

That was my first bender.

At the time was making really good money, single, no kids and not a care in the world. Closing the bars every night. I thought that is how you acted in your twenties. Well I never stopped.

After a few embarrassing ordeals I realized i didn't have an off when it came to drinking. So I limited my drinking to when I was with my extended family (mostly drunk also) or at home.

Fast forward to now. I'm in my late thirties, married to a wonderful woman who has put up with me and have three kids.

I continued to drink every night after work. Just a few beers. This turned into a six pack a night, into 10, 12, then all the beers a night sometimes walking to the store to get more without remembering the next day. I'd go out to "work" in my garage or on my car, drink beer and watch movies till I blacked out.

I woke up on Memorial Day 2018 after drinking heavy on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, hung over and had had enough. I poured out the rest of the beer in my garage cleaned up all the empties and googled stop drinking. SR came up. I started reading and am on my way.

Friday afternoon I was worried about my first weekend. I wanted to post this then but my internet was down. It just came back up, Sunday morning, so here I am. I have avoided my garage all weekend.

Things are different this time. I actually feel good. I'm not just sitting around wanting beer.

I have cravings but have not acted on them. I'm drinking carbonated grapefruit water from a can when I have a craving. It is kind of sour and still tickles the nose. I get to open it like a beer. Much cheaper also.

I went to church with my family this morning not hungover.

Looking forward to many more sober days
Thanks for looking

Lukus98
Old 06-03-2018, 01:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Lukus,
Your story is very similar to mine. You will need a plan. I had to recreate my life without alcohol. I promise that it is worth every bit of effort. Stay strong my friend.
Old 06-03-2018, 02:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mattq2 View Post
You will need a plan. I had to recreate my life without alcohol. I promise that it is worth every bit of effort. Stay strong my friend.
The plan is very important. Here's a link to a good thread about it:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ery-plans.html (Psst...wanna know why I'm always recommending recovery plans?)

I put in my plan the triggers, like places, events, times of day, and my strategies for dealing with them. For example, in your case, you plan to avoid the garage, while I had to avoid my couch and TV for 3 months. I was an after-work drinker, so I had to build a whole new after-work schedule around the gym, shopping for and making dinner etc. I learned I was triggered by my travel routine, so I took up online chess and used to play games while waiting for my flight.

Really practical stuff like that. Nothing is too detailed. If you think it will help you deal with the cravings or triggers, put it in there!

What worked for me:
(1) A good plan.
(2) Joining a class thread here on SR and posting daily.
(3) Coming clean to my doctor and creating a medical / counselling plan with her.
(4) Admitting my problem: to my family and a couple of close friends for support and accountability.
(5) Reading lots and educating myself: particularly on the physiological side but SR stories and wisdom also helped.

Read lots, post regularly!
Old 06-03-2018, 03:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family and congrats on your first week sober!
Old 06-03-2018, 03:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations. Glad to have you here.