Notices

The Promises

Old 06-02-2018, 05:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Promises

Hello all,

After years of struggle, I hit one year sober on April 10, 2018. While I no longer attend AA and never fully completed the steps, I do try to use them as a general guide. I remain a fan of AA, recommend it to others and wouldn't hesitate to go if I was in trouble. Even though I was certain it was a cult when it was first suggested that I try it! 😂

My life has gotten so exponentially better that I cannot describe it. EVERYTHING falls into place for me. I live a charmed life. When things do go wrong, like a death, I handle it with grace and poise. It literally gets better daily. I know that is annoying as hell to read but it is what it is. So I read The Promises to my husband and challenged him to pick ONE that isn't true for me. He could not. I asked him to pick ONE that is less true than the others. He could not. How could this be so? It's just amazing. Yes, I had my psychic shift somewhere early in the first year. I had my spiritual experience very, very shortly after my one year anniversary. This is like a permanent pink cloud on steroids.

It truly does keep getting better. Which is another saying that used to make me homicidal. 😂

I want one person to tell me they have experienced something eerily familiar. Please.
Old 06-02-2018, 05:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I certainly don't mean to imply that things are all butterflies and unicorns. Of course they are not. I just handle things like a super hero and nothing can steal my joy. Little things like brand new white socks used to make me happy. Now going to work makes me happy and mid-morning when I remember that I get to go home to my husband and daughter at the end of the day, I get downright giddy. Happens every day. It's insane. Like I am monopolar - manic only. But a hypomania. I wouldn't call it gentle but not disturbing either.
Old 06-02-2018, 06:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

good on ya, ali!
as far as promises happening, i can go into different promises other than the 9th step promises- the 10th step promises.
when i was diagnosed stage 3 metastatic melamona 11 months in, when it went stage 4, when a good friend commited suicide, when a sponsee died from alcoholism, when my mom died and quite a few others....
i wasnt interested in liquor because the problem with alcohol was removed.

another promise occured for me,too. when i was on a dry drunk.
i rested on my laurels and was headed for trouble. it took a while for me to admit it and came real close to a drink( about 30 minutes from it) but by the grace of God my head got popped back outta my but just in time.

there is absolutely no feeling like the feeling of new socks!

heres an awesome story of another member:
he came into a meeting happy as a lark, which was nothing out of the ordinary.
however,this day he was exceptionally happy. his daughter who he hadnt spoken to in years( he drank her out of his life) had sent him a birthday present- socks. first present from his daughter in years. he was ecstatic and on cloud 9. his daughter didnt know he had lost his legs from the knees down, but the man didnt care- he got a birthday present from his daughter and that made him happy.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, my life in recovery has been an amazing miracle - "happy joyous and free" as the BB stays (I am at 27 mo and change and a devoted AAer). When it isn't those things, or when stuff like "life" comes in, I have a learned program as well as available support to know how to deal.

Right now my husband and i have some big stuff to deal with and this week I have been struggling and leaning toward depression- I am trying to right that ship TODAY and just enjoy it. Answers will present themselves, we will make choices that are the next right ones, as we like to say, and it will BE OK.

Very glad to hear of your quality of life in recovery. And, I am sure you know that AA is always there if you do need it.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Continuing to incorporate the AA steps
as a guideline on a continuous bases will
help achieve the gift of the promises as
written for us in the AA Big Book.

Some come quickly and other comes
slowly, but they will all come true
if we work for them.

They have for me and still do as
I'm a work in progress to this day.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ali2013 View Post
Hello all,

After years of struggle, I hit one year sober on April 10, 2018. While I no longer attend AA and never fully completed the steps, I do try to use them as a general guide. I remain a fan of AA, recommend it to others and wouldn't hesitate to go if I was in trouble. Even though I was certain it was a cult when it was first suggested that I try it! ��

My life has gotten so exponentially better that I cannot describe it. EVERYTHING falls into place for me. I live a charmed life. When things do go wrong, like a death, I handle it with grace and poise. It literally gets better daily. I know that is annoying as hell to read but it is what it is. So I read The Promises to my husband and challenged him to pick ONE that isn't true for me. He could not. I asked him to pick ONE that is less true than the others. He could not. How could this be so? It's just amazing. Yes, I had my psychic shift somewhere early in the first year. I had my spiritual experience very, very shortly after my one year anniversary. This is like a permanent pink cloud on steroids.

It truly does keep getting better. Which is another saying that used to make me homicidal. ��

I want one person to tell me they have experienced something eerily familiar. Please.

When you put the shovel (bottle) down you stop digging but in my case I was still in the hole. There was wreckage and it would take me **four years to get back on my feet.

For me not everything fell into place after getting sober. However, I have never forgotten how sick and tired I was of being sick and tired just before joining AA.

Outside of the death of a close friend my problems/issues have generally been of a quality nature. Problems/Issues that are a direct result of being sober.

What I strive for is emotional sobriety and it is important for me to stay grounded/focused. Because life on life`s terms has a way of tossing a curve ball my way whenever I get too complacent.

** I think my pink cloud when I joined AA lasted a couple of months but I can't remember.
Old 06-02-2018, 11:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Because life on life`s terms has a way of tossing a curve ball my way whenever I get too complacent.

Powerful statement and soo true!! .. Thanks Ken!
Old 06-02-2018, 01:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

good
why not go back to AA and pass it on to a sick newcomer?
Old 06-03-2018, 04:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tommyh View Post
good
why not go back to AA and pass it on to a sick newcomer?
I've oft considered that. I really wanted to at my one year but thought perhaps it would be in poor taste to go in and say "I did it without you." Of course it wouldn't come out like that, I would be tactful and give AA immense credit but my recovery was indeed a hodgepodge and not due to the steps which I have never worked. Seems untoward to claim the promises in my life without having worked the program? I am an overthinker.

But ...... I do pass it on. I'm a nurse and see a LOT of alcoholic patients, some in withdrawal. I never hesitate to shut the door, pull up a seat and have a chat. It's the absolute best part of my day.

I've started to share with my co-workers, doctors and nurses, which is something I NEVER thought I would do, but b I thought long and hard about it, prayed about it and I'm so happy I did it. I'm just not ashamed anymore. And my co-workers have mad respect for me now.
Old 06-03-2018, 04:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The reason I share with co-workers is three-fold:

1. They can call me to speak with an alcoholic patient

2. Ten percent of them (likely more given the profession) are alcoholic themselves

3. It helps them view the alcoholic through a different, hopefully more gentle and compassionate, lens

I am so, so passionate about this

Every human needs an underdog population to be passionate about and fight for. Mine is alcoholics, addicts, homeless souls. We are all God's children.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good on you Ali

Lovely to read such a positive post first thing this morning. I am currently volunteering in a rehab and I suggest to people who are reluctant to go to meetings to at least read the Big Book and have a look at the steps .

I strongly identify with the guests here and although I don't go to meetings, (since coming back to my home country I can't find one where I feel comfortable), I am glad the rehab has incorporated weekly meetings into their schedule.
Keep up the work
Respect
CaiHong
Old 06-06-2018, 12:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I've oft considered that. I really wanted to at my one year but thought perhaps it would be in poor taste to go in and say "I did it without you." Of course it wouldn't come out like that, I would be tactful and give AA immense credit but my recovery was indeed a hodgepodge and not due to the steps which I have never worked. Seems untoward to claim the promises in my life without having worked the program? I am an overthinker.
I think that attitude is a credit to you. It shows a good deal of real gratitude and humility. Rowland H, might have been the same. He had spiritual experience through the Oxford Group, and helped Ebby out, but never became involved in AA. As far as we know he stayed happily sober..

The most dangerous person in AA is the one who, by whatever means, has managed to stay sober without the need to work the program, and then goes on to tell others that because he/she didn’t need to go all out with the program, that they don’t need to either.

AA is one means of having a spiritual experience, but as it says, it has no monopoly on God. The experience is just as real whether it involved the steps or not. And the pink cloud? I understand just what you mean. In my case, to go back to the original pink cloud would be something of an anticlimax.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Really funny and ironic update. Been having bizarre symptoms that I chose to ignore for far too long. MRI tomorrow to confirm MS. I'll update tomorrow. Struggling hard for that grace and poise but damn it give me a few days. I'll find it. And then I'll slay this ******* beast. Tonight is pretty rough for me and my husband though so prayers appreciated. I will update tomorrow. Peace.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I am sorry to hear that Ali. I hope the MRI comes up clear. Thoughts and prayers to you.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Meant to also report this: I always thought in th back of my mind if I were ever diagnosed with something non-curable, I would say screw it and drink because I deserved it. I have zero desire. I have strong desire to stay sober. That's pretty dang cool.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Meant to also report this: I always thought in th back of my mind if I were ever diagnosed with something non-curable, I would say screw it and drink because I deserved it. I have zero desire. I have strong desire to stay sober. That's pretty dang cool.
a while after being diagnosed stage 3 metastatic melanoma i was shootin the breeze with the man that turned out to be my future sponsor. he asked me how i was and what prognosis is.
"statistically stage 3 has about a 20% change of surviving 5 years(thats gone up with advancements in treatment since i was diagnosed-YAY!) but im here today."
"i dont think you realize youre a miracle,tom."
"hows that?"
"ive been in AA a long time and have seen many people go back out after hearing health news not as serious."
"wth good does that do??"

if i were to go back out, i wouldnt be here today-12 years later.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
a while after being diagnosed stage 3 metastatic melanoma i was shootin the breeze with the man that turned out to be my future sponsor. he asked me how i was and what prognosis is.
"statistically stage 3 has about a 20% change of surviving 5 years(thats gone up with advancements in treatment since i was diagnosed-YAY!) but im here today."
"i dont think you realize youre a miracle,tom."
"hows that?"
"ive been in AA a long time and have seen many people go back out after hearing health news not as serious."
"wth good does that do??"

if i were to go back out, i wouldnt be here today-12 years later.
Tom I have read your story so many times I can quote it by heart and I have been thinking about you real hard these past two days. It has brought me a great deal of comfort and I was hoping you would chime in here. Three years ago I hated you. I thought you were a self-righteous blow-hard *******. Apologies for that. Now I think you're pretty woke.

MRI was negative. I have something better! Autonomic neuropathy secondary to alcoholic neuropathy and toxic myopathy. Symptoms are extremely similar to MS but treatment is different and this diagnosis is definitely, definitely a blessing comparatively speaking. It's irreversible but now it has a name and we can treat it. That is worth millions.

I'm 44 years old, an RN with a specialized and successful career. This could happen to anyone.

I had an amazing God nod today though. I'm on my kindle and it's too much to type. Can we refer to FB pages here? I've lost interest in anonymity. I posted the story there. I'm Alisha Burns from Oklahoma if you can friend me on there and read it. It's pretty ducking amazing.

Thanks for all the good vibes.

Peace.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:58 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

Ali,so good to see you are doing good,keep up the good job