Notices

Things that are hard, and how to make them easier?

Old 06-01-2018, 10:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Things that are hard, and how to make them easier?

Please add yours to this list:

It is hard to go to my favorite restaurant and NOT share a pitcher of beer.

It makes it easier when I just don't go. It makes it easier when I go with someone else that doesn't drink. It makes it easier when I realize that the beer isn't what is making the experience, it is who I'm with and the delicious food. Water or soda works just as well.

Its is hard when I feel the urge to drink and I go to the refrigerator and there are still beers in it and I think 'will one really hurt me that much?'. It makes it easier when I realize it's never just one, and yes, it will hurt me.

It's hard when it is Friday, the end of the work week, and the norm is to start the weekend 'right' with some beer, a few shots, or whatever. It makes it easier to picture what the rest of the weekend actually looks like; being too drunk to actually do anything fun.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great idea!

It's hard when friends go out drinking and I want to drink with them. It's easier when I make a plan not to drink no matter what BEFORE I go. It's easier when there are other people who aren't drinking. It's easier when I make more plans, more often to do things that aren't drinking. It's easier to stay home than to put myself in risky situations.

It's hard when the weekend comes, and I want to have that Friday happy hour drink. It's easier when I don't make Friday into a holiday when it really happens every week and it isn't that big of a deal. It's easier when I do something else to celebrate. It's easier when I keep busy.

It's hard when I'm annoyed at someone not to have a drink at them. It's easier when I realize drinking to get back at someone or to deal with anger only hurts me. It's easier when I separate my drinking behavior from conflicts that have nothing to do with drinking.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't put myself into potentially compromising situations.
We always want any and every excuse to pass blame to give an excuse for selfishness (drinking)
At the end of the day, drinking always comes down to ourselves.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It was hard for me, when I was alone, to not drink cos noone knew, and who was I hurting?

I made it easier by accepting that *I* knew, I was hurting myself - and I mattered enough for me not to do that self destructive stuff anymore.

D
Old 06-01-2018, 05:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's hard to keep up the charade, the life of lies - lying to loved ones about how much I drank, lying to myself about being a functioning alcoholic, lying that drinking will do anything other than fuel a crappy, half-lived life.

It's hard to hide bottles, to live in a state of anxious fear, to justify and pretend and compensate and blame.

It's hard to look yourself in the face when it's graceless, selfish, self-destruction is your modus operandi.

Life is easier, simpler, clearer, more hopeful, brighter, when I'm not living it as a drunk
Old 06-02-2018, 01:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For restaurants I spend the extra money I would spend on a bottle of wine on something extra a la Carte.

That way I can try new things and spoil myself too

I don’t go out to bars or anything and last week when my bf went home to go out drinking with his friend I banned him from phoning or talking to me about it - he hated that lol but really idc whatever helps
Old 06-02-2018, 05:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hard - to get out of the bing drinking cycle.

Its much easier to just not get into it. especially if you have a bit of solid sober momentum.

You know somethings wrong when you wake up for work and you think "ok, i will go to work, get that over and done with, and can't wait to binge as soon as i get back, in fact, ill have a few in the car".

Then the realisation comes in that it is actually naturally EASIER to live a sober life when comparing it to the extreme stress of a binge drinking lifestyle....go figure.
Old 06-02-2018, 05:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's hard to accept that my adult daughter won't have anything to do with me due to my past mistakes while drunk.

It's easy to stay away from the booze when I accept that this is the only way I have a real shot at rebuilding the relationship.