Notices

Hopeless but comfortable

Old 06-01-2018, 08:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hopeless but comfortable

I'm currently a 23 year old male with a long list of problems. I'd say alcohol is my main addiction, but I frequently smoke weed, do cocaine, lsd, or snort pills as well. I currently drink about 3 liters of vodka a week as well as chasing it with malt liquor usually. Some days my liver hurts so I have to take a day off, or I'll just pop about 10 ibuprofen and continue with my drinking. Too be fair my father had me able to drink a pint of vodka too myself by the age of 14 but my alcoholism didn't really take off until the age of 20. I'm a big boy too, 6"2 and 240 pounds. So I suppose that helps with my ridiculous tolerance. I feel like I want to get help, but couldn't imagine going more than a couple days at most without doing something. It's as my title reads. I feel Hopeless to quit my addictions. But I'm o comfortable in my life I don't think I have too. I'm honestly torn and just looking for opinions on what my steps should be if I were too decide to stop and commit to my decision.

-$lim
Old 06-01-2018, 08:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

well, I hope you can find a way to quit. Keep reading around this site.

Here's a thread listing ways to quit:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...at-we-did.html (Quitting..What to expect ..What we did)

A male friend of mine died at age 24 from alcohol induced liver failure. He was 6'4" and about 260 pounds. It has nothing to do with size or age. Not to mention all the other young friends I lost over the years due to accidents, heart attacks or violence while under the influence.

Death isn't the only thing to worry about, either. There's jail, being disabled, killing someone else accidentally.

Be careful with those ibuprofen, too. They are also hard on your organs/liver.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Welcome to SR, Theycallmeslim! You've found a great place for support and information if you're contemplating a sober life.

I first quit at 21 although I suspected I had a serious problem by 17 or 18. Being unable to imagine going through life straight/sober held me back from quitting until it finally got too painful to go on that way anymore. I got to that point where I could not imagine life with or without alcohol and it was a feeling of complete despair.

What I did was asked for help to get sober and then resigned myself to a dull and boring life. After I was sober for a while I realized just how mistaken I had been to think life would be that way sober. It actually got better than I could have imagined.

What I did: first I went to a detox centre, then to a 5-week treatment centre and then into a sober living house. I got introduced to AA in the detox and went regularly and followed the program. I got a sponsor and made sober friends. I learned to enjoy life without drugs or booze.

It took time and effort, but after a while, being sober became the easier and better way to live.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Taking pain relief medication like Ibu's or Tylenol adds another burden to your liver so you really need to talk to your doctor as you could be doing more harm than good. I had found out the hard way when I was younger. You don't want liver disease! Good luck to you and your sobriety journey!
Old 06-01-2018, 10:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

something you could do is take a look at your future if you continued drinking.alcoholism is progressive. the progression is never better-always worse.
give it time and you wont be comfortable in/with your life. give it time and you wont be comfortable in your own skin,if you arent there already. give it time and you can end up with permament mental and physical damage.

it doesnt seem someone who is comfortable in their life would be feeling hopeless about anything.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR.

You must want to change your life to be posting here.

Alcoholism is relentlessly progressive,it will get worse if you continue,that is guaranteed.

Perhaps you could go to an AA meeting and listen to the people,see if you identify with them.

Nobody can make you stop drinking,you have to want it for yourself.

Wishing you well.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome theycallmeslim.

I can understand the feeling of invincibility - especially when you're young. But, as you know, that feeling will fade eventually - especially if you don't start taking care of yourself now. Try to imagine your life when you're 40 or 50. Do you want to be able to physically and mentally do all the things you can do today?
Very best to you.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Detox and rehab? I was not able to stop without medical supervision. Then two years later had a bad relapse and things went completely crazy. You are young! Make a decision to turn your life around. It can be done. There are many different ways to do it. I did not understand AA at first and maybe still don't but I go anyway. There is a lot of support here and people here have amazing success stories as well as times of darkness. Find the plan that works for you. Get a liver test for sure!
Old 06-01-2018, 10:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! You are in a good place.

Honestly, quitting is going to be your best bet for a better/brighter future!

I first tried to stop at about your age... I didn't... I kept going until 32.
I almost lost my job
I got a DUI
I totaled my car
I have been kicked out of many bars- for life.
I have had to pay thousands in lawyer fees to get things taken off of my record so my stupidity wouldn't ruin my career.
I have lost many friendships

But now.

My job is thriving
I bought my first house
I let go of all toxic relationships.
My son has a sober mom who can do anything with him
I can drive at any time of the day
I deal with life on lifes terms
I have a travel plans
I have more money
I have quality friends
I love myself- I no longer live in doubt and self-hatred
I am healthy
I have a good attitude and outlook on life
(this is all with in 8 months of sobriety)

Imagine if you got sober what you coudl accomplish by my age? I am now 33.

Put as much effort into SOBRIETY as you did DRINKING and watch your life flourish.

YOU ARE WORTH IT! !
Old 06-01-2018, 11:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, theycallmeslim.

I hope that you stick around here and do a lot of reading. Be sure to check out the Stickies at the top of the Alcoholism and Newcomers forums. There is an abundance of information there.

I hope that you do decide to seek sobriety and recovery. You say that you are comfortable presently with life. Alcoholism is a progressive disease; it gets worse. Your comfort level is likely to go way, way, way down.

Significant problems are very likely to arise and become worse.

Problems in your career.

Problems in your social life.

Problems in your relationships.

Problems with your physical health, as well as your mental and spiritual health (increased anxiety, despair, etc.)

Problems with the law - dui-s, accidents, possible physical altercations, legal expenses, jail time.

This stuff is real and absolutely no joke.

You asked about what to do if you decide to stop drinking. Biminiblue posted a really good link.

Here is another:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...highlight=Psst (Psst...wanna know why I'm always recommending recovery plans?)

BTW, you are not hopeless. You are absolutely capable of finding sobriety and recovery.

We are here to help.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Try watching "Alcohol - Drugged High On Alcohol Full Documentary - Alcoholism" on you tube. I have never forgotten this after I watched it, heartbreaking.

I hope you make the right decision for you and think you have been given some wonderful, honest and heartfelt advice already from the other posters. xx
Old 06-01-2018, 04:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Slim

I hope you'll keep reading too - I'm in my 50s...a lot of us can remember when we seemed made of titanium and invincible too...but that never lasts.

as TS says it gets worse never better.

D
Old 06-02-2018, 05:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Glad you’re looking for options. Drinking is extremely progressive. It only gets worse with age.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

How are you doing, today, Theycallmeslim?
Old 06-03-2018, 06:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Slim,

So glad you found SR, this is a wonderful community, with lots of support. You are so smart to stop drinking st your age, I wish I had been smart enough to do the same.

I would start with an appointment with your doctor, you are using several different substances, and withdrawals can be scary. They can help you with withdrawal, and should be able to point you in the direction of recovery supports.

Please check in and let us know how you're doing today.